Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Recurve bow recommendations

P8riot

Carbon, In
Hey guys,

Im currently living with my parents while Im house hunting in OH. To pass the time I will hit golf balls around, but I think I need to get into bows! Always wanted to, but havent yet. I finally have a place here I can get some nice distance shots and no fear of hitting anyone/thing if I miss.

I eventually want a compound bow, but the more I research, the more I see its a lot of tuning and tinkering. Im looking to just get out and shoot and the allure of traditional bows has always called me.

I had an old Martin compound with wooden/fiberglass limbs (yeah it was old) that I messed with but nothing serious.

What would you guys recommend? Im 6' 215 and Im no Hercules, but not weak. So I dont want a bow weight thats nuts, but not too weak that I will want more. I dont want cheap, but not breaking the bank.

Start at the beginning...bow, arrows, what grain tips, what is a good target. I know its hard because there ARE variables, but Im looking to start simple, grow into it and have something I can use to maybe hunt some day and tinker with the other stuff later on.

When I get my house Im going to have so much to do, I just want to blow off steam and not get frustrated with a complex bow set up. Im a perfectionist always thinking "this could be better" but Im trying to avoid that thinking and go simple!

Or a crossbow....lol

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
@Boarhead @Jamie @Creamer @jagermeister

I know I'm forgetting some of our trad guys, but I'd guess one of these would chime in with solid advice. That said, I'm not sure compound bows today are as finicky as you might think. Get them dialed in and they are pretty solid. Shoot enough arrows and you might need new strings and dialing in again. Change a sight and need to dial it in. Then again, plenty of guys here to help get you dialed in.

Reactions: P8riot

P8riot

Carbon, In
I do have an old Bear recurve. Ive had it reverse strung for years...20 atleast. It was stored standing up in a corner. I am willing to bet its screwed. Its not a great model, i did look it up years ago. Think its any good? I would need a new string obviously. I just doubt I can trust it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Is shot trad as a kid. Fiberglass stick bow, hunted rabbit and pheasant with it. I was pretty proficient out too about 15 yards. Shot a lot of rabbit and a few pheasant back then.
Fast forward too my early 20’s I got a compound, more accurate and further distance shooting. Don’t eliminate compounds out of your arsenal. They have their place and aren’t hard too tune. Lots of folks here that can help with both.

P8riot

Carbon, In
Ugh...now you guys got me second guessing 😁

I just feel with compounds, you buy a good one and next year there is a better one. Always chasing that next best bow. There is no new recurve technology 🤣

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Ugh...now you guys got me second guessing 😁

I just feel with compounds, you buy a good one and next year there is a better one. Always chasing that next best bow. There is no new recurve technology 🤣
Find one that fits you and you like too shoot, then get proficient and stick with it. No need too upgrade every other year.

Reactions: hickslawns

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don’t worry, you can chase latest and greatest technology and tune til your blue in the face with trad bows just like you can with compounds. In my opinion, if you just want to have fun shooting, get yourself a trad bow. If you want to kill a bunch of critters, get a compound or a crossbow. You can hunt successfully with a trad bow too of course… it is just MUCH more difficult.

Keep your eyes out for garage sales or even Facebook marketplace. You should be able to find a used Bear or Pearson for a few hundred bucks or less. With your frame you’ll probably want a 60-62” bow in the 45-50 lb range. Get a dozen 400 spine carbon arrows… 125-150 grain points. If you really want to go down a rabbit hole, do some research on dynamic spine and bareshaft tuning… That’ll get your proper arrow length and point weights dialed in. Trad bows can be caveman-simple if you want them to be. Or, if you want one shooting darts, there is a fair amount of tuning necessary… just like with other bows. It’s all about what you want to get out of it.

YouTube is your friend. Watch some videos on proper shooting form and mechanics. Ensure that you don’t develop any bad habits right from the get-go.

Lastly, and most importantly, don’t get frustrated. Shooting a trad bow is hard, and it takes a ton of repetitive practice to become proficient. And even after all that, there will still be days you simply can’t hit anything. It just happens. Try to be patient and just have fun with it.

Jagermiester has hit the nail on the head his response is spot on
It is supposed to be fun!!!
There is some frustration involved but most of all have fun
You can start out really cheap with a garage sale recurve and a few arrows
Utube is your friend
And you can always post questions here.
There is also an Osta shoot every month all summer.
People there will let you try many different bows
And offer tons of advice
There is usually someone selling a bow there also
Good luck on your quest

P8riot

Carbon, In
Thanks guys! I reload for several of my guns and tinkering is in my nature. I got several of my loads pretty dang accurate from an M1A which isnt known for extreme accuracy. I fear another tinker project! I have so many rabbit holes in my life it looks like a dang mine field.

Someone had said they were thinking of selling their Elite on here. I will be danged if I cant find the thread now.

Last edited:
Reactions: jagermeister

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
I have a 50# Bear grizzly reverse strung standing in the corner right now. Early 70's bow. I would shoot it in a heart beat If my shoulders would let me. Also have a nice martin longbow in the same poundage. If your anywhere around NW Ohio you can shoot them anytime you want.

Creamer

Athens
I'm still relatively new to the trad scene, I just switched from a compound a few years ago. I know you said you don't want a cheap bow, but if you're wanting to get started, a recurve like a Sage is the perfect gateway drug. I started with a Galaxy Sage Elite from Lancaster Archery that I got on sale for about $120. It was the perfect starter bow for me and I killed two deer with it that first year. My best advice on poundage is to think about a weight you can comfortably handle, and buy a bow that's 5lbs less. If you think you can handle 55lbs, buy a 50lb bow. One of the great things about a Sage recurve is limb availability. If you buy a bow and decide down the line you want more or less poundage, you can buy limbs fairly cheap (around $70-80) for a Sage. It's hard enough shooting one of these things, shooting it while you're over bowed and pulling too much weight will make things harder.

Tuning is something you'll have to dive into once you get the bow, in my opinion. Knowing your draw length and poundage will help get you started down the right path. I took some YouTube advice and bought an arrow shaft test kit, so I got 3 different spines of full length arrows in the shaft I wanted to shoot (Black Eagle Vintage for me). I played with arrow lengths and point weight until I found a combination my bow liked. I have not deviated from my current tune because it's working for me. My current arrow setup is a 31" BE Vintage 350 spine, 50 grain brass insert, and a 175 grain head. The two bows I am shooting are both 45lb recurves and I draw about 29".

If you get into this and decide you want a higher end bow, I bought a Stalker Stickbow Wolverine, and it's an amazing piece of functional art. I bought it intending to hunt with it, but when I saw the amount of dings and scratches it was picking up, I changed my mind on that. I have actually gone back to the Sage for a hunting rig because I shoot it well and I don't really care if it picks up scars. I'm more comfortable dragging a $120 bow through brush than a $1200 bow.

P8riot

Carbon, In
I think I finally decided on a Diamond Edge 320. It is adjustable so I an dial in what suits me and then upgrade if I want. Best I can tell I am around 29" draw and weight depends on what I can handle.

Then if I upgrade, I can give it to the little lady and we can adjust it for her. It has what I need to start shooting and I can also upgrade those if needed. Now I need a release and a good target. Im thinking a spot hog with that boa system looks sweet and a motrell target. Then its just figuring out what arrows. Thats where Im lost now 😁

I do have that old Bear bow I can get a new string for and use that for fun.

Reactions: brock ratcliff

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I would start out in the 40 to 48 pound range if I were you. Will be easier and you will be able to handle it easily and not develop poor shooting habits. I like my black widow bows but they are pricey for a starter bow. I bought mine for hunting as they are a tool and gonna get some dings or scratches on em that just gives em character as long as they kill shit. Lol
But a sage would be a good bow to get ya started just don't overbow yourself with too much poundage. Good luck.
Oh and it is an addiction..I just ordered another widow should get it in 6 or 7 months. Always said I would get one widow now gonna have 3. Lol

P8riot

Carbon, In
Yeah thats why I have shyed away from it. Its going to be expensive with all the extras. I have a gun, ammo, reloading addiction already!