Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ration Book

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
You guys are to young to remember this WWII stuff but as a kid gas - sugar - tires - lots of other stuff was rationed - air raids had to turn all lights out warden came around to check - lots of other stuff - nobody cryed about their rights or protested - just sucked it up and did it
ration-book-one-front.png

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
My Dad talked about being a small boy and the "black-outs". He spoke of a person in charge of the neighborhood going around and making sure everyone had blackout curtains hung so no inside light shown through. His childhood home was in the harbor in Ashtabula on the shoreline of Lake Erie.
He was in Boy Scouts then and got in big trouble because he and his brother found that during blackouts was the best time to practice Morse Code with the ships on the lake in the shipping lane headed out... Some neighbor ratted em out.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
My Dad talked about being a small boy and the "black-outs". He spoke of a person in charge of the neighborhood going around and making sure everyone had blackout curtains hung so no inside light shown through. His childhood home was in the harbor in Ashtabula on the shoreline of Lake Erie.
He was in Boy Scouts then and got in big trouble because he and his brother found that during blackouts was the best time to practice Morse Code with the ships on the lake in the shipping lane headed out... Some neighbor ratted em out.
Dang - i remember your dad showing me around your compound with the golf cart - good time

Reactions: 5Cent and CJD3

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
My mom grew up in Clearwater Florida on the harbor. During the war they had to cover windows the west side of the house and had to paint the top 1/2 of the headlights Black. There was a curfew, I forget the time but everyone was supposed to be off the roads at a certain time.

Dad was the only man on the farm so he wasn’t drafted. The draft board would evaluate a farm to determine how many men it needed. Ours was determined to need 6 or 7 but he got by with only 1 hired man.

There were price controls on many things, including farm equipment. Maybe a tractor’s price was set at $1500. Some auctioneers would auction a tractor with a bale of hay (no price control on hay). The tractor would sell for $1500 and the bale of hay for another $500-1000.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I’m basing this only on what I was told by my uncles who served during the war and relatives that were at home while they were over seas... and maybe a bit from the history I was taught and managed to read on my own since I was a bit of a history nut regarding the war efforts of WWI and WWII... now that I’ve prefaced my statements, I think there is a huge difference in today’s world vs then - we DO NOT trust those in government today, with good reason. I think citizens trusted government officials more then as the entire country was united in the effort. Certainly not the case today.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If we were fighting a clear enemy, I still think citizens would gladly ration and keep the lights off today. The problem we face now is totally different. Our country is divided, intentionally, each side certain the other is wrong. You cannot trust the media. Any time a suggestion is made we now naturally ask why, again, with good reason!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
If we were fighting a clear enemy, I still think citizens would gladly ration and keep the lights off today. The problem we face now is totally different. Our country is divided, intentionally, each side certain the other is wrong. You cannot trust the media. Any time a suggestion is made we now naturally ask why, again, with good reason!
YES! I was confused by this thread to be honest.

Jamie

Ohio
lol, it's not fair to use that excuse for everything. :ROFLMAO: still, I never hold that against anyone any more.

I have to agree with Mike. comparing the state of affairs today with how the country acted as whole during WWII is not a reasonable comparison, but I'm not sure that is even what you are doing?

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
it was a different world in the 40’s. We had just been through a decade of depression, people were used to doing without. The enemy was pretty clearly a real threat. People were had more trust in our government and institutions. Since then the government has squandered that trust with things like Vietnam and Watergate. We have had decades of an education system indoctrinating our young about how flawed are country was. Back then the media were more willing to overlook or outright hide flaws in our leadership, past and present. There wasn’t 24/7 news channels in constant need of the next HUGE story to keep ratings up. Social media has created a population of keyboard commandos who are constantly morally outraged and have deemed anyone or anything they find offensive as worthy of the severest Punishment.