Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ranch Fairy

Jamie

Licking Co.
@Jamie a little FOC?

that's alot. I've messed with as much as 200grain add on weights, but there is a diminishing return on weight forward. I got what I needed with 100 grain weights and 125 (225 total up front) grain points on 675-700 gr total wood arrows. heavy hitters even when only going 175 ft/sec.

giles

Village idiot and local whore
Supporting Member
In a bar
that's alot. I've messed with as much as 200grain add on weights, but there is a diminishing return on weight forward. I got what I needed with 100 grain weights and 125 (225 total up front) grain points on 675-700 gr total wood arrows. heavy hitters even when only going 175 ft/sec.
I am hoping to be able to add a 100 grain insert and be okay. Couple that with a 125 grain fixed blade and call it good.

bowhunter1023

Administrator
Staff member
Appalachia
Here you go, @OHIOOutdoors2. If there's something you want me to expand on, happy to do so. I went full @Wildlife on ya ;)

Gotta start with why, right? I’ve always shot a “heavier” arrow and have never really bought into the speed game. I suppose that’s a side effect of shooting a smooth shooting solocam for over a decade. My arrows have been roughly 475 grains +/- 25 grains most of my career, with FOCs around 10-11%. I’ve been back and forth between fixed and mechanical heads since the beginning. The only broadhead I can really talk smack on is the G5 Montec CS and I’m to blame there also because I wasn’t prioritizing sharpness to the best of my ability. To date, the only 2 deer I’ve ever hit and not recovered, were with G5 Montecs. The deadliest hit I ever put on a whitetail was my ‘08 buck and that was an original Rage. Tough, mature buck I called “The Bully” and I hit him perfectly between ribs on entrance and exit, so I got lucky. He was quartered-away at eye level and that Rage hit perfectly parallel to his spine, just above center-mass. It cut his liver in half and cut the top off his lungs. He ran 30 yards and literally tipped over backward trying to climb a steep bank. It was some seriously impressive devastation. So, I have mixed emotions about the timeless fixed vs. mechanicals debate.

My arrow/broadhead history being what it is, @Jackalope really got me thinking hard several years ago when he drove home the point in a debate here on TOO that “anything mechanical can, and will, fail.” That really stuck in my head during the offseason and I decided I needed to find a quality fixed blade broadhead I could trust. So far, Slick Tricks are filling that role, and other than as an absolute emergency, I will never shoot mechanicals again. This will be the last season using them on the crossbow too. I’ll be building new bolts for next season and will tip them with a fixed blade.

As a student of the game, I knew about Dr. Ed Ashby, but I’d never taken any of his stuff to heart. For those of you looking to further research FOC and the work done by Dr. Ashby to pioneer stick and string ballistics, you can do so here - https://www.ashbybowhunting.org/ashby-reports. When I started seeing THP talk about FOC and Ranch Fairy, I started watching RFs stuff on YouTube, then I revisited Ashby’s work. Since I was already close to shooting full-on “adult arrows”, and had some spare parts around, I built a few experimental arrows. I was impressed by how my bow tuned and shot with them, so I bought a dozen raw shafts and set out to build a 12.5% FOC 600-grain arrow for this season. I actually built 4 variations using Easton FMJs (RF is cussing me now) and Axis arrows. I had weights from 575-610 with 3 and 4 fletch versions, and FOCs from 10-13%. The arrow that killed my buck this year, was 575 grains with a 10% FOC and a Slick Trick Grizz Trick. I lost some FOC when I had issues with my 125-grain DRTs broadheads and the STs shot well, so rather than tune to the DRTs, I gave up FOC and just shot the STs.

So what now? Well, I need to bump my FOC up some as lighted nocks are robbing me even with 75-grain inserts, so I need more weight upfront and have decided to do that with a 150-grain broadhead. I probably got a little aggressive with my spine selection in my quest for additional weight, so I’m going back to 300s after using 260s to build my last set. I will also add 2" to my arrows to help with broadhead clearance, and it contributed 21.4 more grains to the shaft weight. All this should increase FOC to 13% at 605ish grains.

1023’s Adult Arrow Component List (2021 ed.)
  • Easton Axis 300s (10.7 GPI) @ 30” - 321 grain raw shaft
  • 75-grain Iron Will HIT insert
  • 25-grain Nockturnal lighted nocks
  • 3” Fusion Vanes (3) at 24 grains total
  • 9.6-grain Onestringer custom TOO wrap - Get yours here: https://onestringer.com/theohiooutdoors-2/ (y)
  • 150-grain Iron Will Outdoors
  • Total Arrow Weight = 605 grains
  • Rough Calc FOC = 13%
  • Kinetic Energy = TBD pending bow build...

Last edited:

OO2

Unknown
Here you go, @OHIOOutdoors2. If there's something you want me to expand on, happy to do so. I went full @Wildlife on ya ;)

Gotta start with why, right? I’ve always shot a “heavier” arrow and have never really bought into the speed game. I suppose that’s a side effect of shooting a smooth shooting solocam for over a deacade. My arrows have been roughly 475 grains +/- 25 grains most of my career, with FOCs around 10-11%. I’ve been back and forth between fixed and mechanical heads since the beginning. The only broadhead I can really talk smack on is the G5 Montec CS and I’m to blame there also because I wasn’t prioritizing sharpness to the best of my ability. To date, the only 2 deer I’ve ever hit and not recovered, were with G5 Montecs. The deadliest hit I ever put on a whitetail was my ‘08 buck and that was an original Rage. Tough, mature buck I called “The Bully” and I hit him perfectly between ribs on entrance and exit, so I got lucky. He was quartered-away at eye level and that Rage hit perfectly parallel to his spine, just above center-mass. It cut his liver in half and cut the top off his lungs. He ran 30 yards and literally tipped over backward trying to climb a steep bank. It was some seriously impressive devastation. So, I have mixed emotions about the timeless fixed vs. mechanicals debate.

My arrow/broadhead history being what it is, @Jackalope really got me thinking hard several years ago when he drove home the point in a debate here on TOO that “anything mechanical can, and will, fail.” That really stuck in my head during the offseason and I decided I needed to find a quality fixed blade broadhead I could trust. So far, Slick Tricks are filling that role, and other than as an absolute emergency, I will never shoot mechanicals again. This will be the last season using them on the crossbow too. I’ll be building new bolts for next season and will tip them with a fixed blade.

As a student of the game, I knew about Dr. Ed Ashby, but I’d never taken any of his stuff to heart. For those of you looking to further research FOC and the work done by Dr. Ashby to pioneer stick and string ballistics, you can do so here - https://www.ashbybowhunting.org/ashby-reports. When I started seeing THP talk about FOC and Ranch Fairy, I started watching RFs stuff on YouTube, then I revisited Ashby’s work. Since I was already close to shooting full-on “adult arrows”, and had some spare parts around, I built a few experimental arrows. I was impressed by how my bow tuned and shot with them, so I bought a dozen raw shafts and set out to build a 12.5% FOC 600-grain arrow for this season. I actually built 4 variations using Easton FMJs (RF is cussing me now) and Axis arrows. I had weights from 575-610 with 3 and 4 fletch versions, and FOCs from 10-13%. The arrow that killed my buck this year, was 575 grains with a 10% FOC and a Slick Trick Grizz Trick. I lost some FOC when I had issues with my 125-grain DRTs broadheads and the STs shot well, so rather than tune to the DRTs, I gave up FOC and just shot the STs.

So what now? Well, I need to bump my FOC up some as lighted nocks are robbing me even with 75-grain inserts, so I need more weight upfront and have decided to do that with a 150-grain broadhead. I probably got a little aggressive with my spine selection in my quest for additional weight, so I’m going back to 300s after using 260s to build my last set. I will also add 2" to my arrows to help with broadhead clearance, and it contributed 21.4 more grains to the shaft weight. All this should increase FOC to 13% at 605ish grains.

1023’s Adult Arrow Component List (2021 ed.)
  • Easton Axis 300s (10.7 GPI) @ 30” - 321 grain raw shaft
  • 75-grain Iron Will HIT insert
  • 25-grain Nockturnal lighted nocks
  • 3” Fusion Vanes (3) at 24 grains total
  • 9.6-grain Onestringer custom TOO wrap - Get yours here: https://onestringer.com/theohiooutdoors-2/ (y)
  • 150-grain Iron Will Outdoors
  • Total Arrow Weight = 605 grains
  • Rough Calc FOC = 13%
  • Kinetic Energy = TBD pending bow build...
Thanks for sharing, I appreciate it. Now all we need is a myth busters test on that setup!

Reactions: bowhunter1023

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
@Milo was my original Ranch Fairy. He got me shooting 300-spine Easton Excels with 150-grain Stingers on the business end quite a few years ago. Upon trying them, I immediately fell in love with the lack of sound and hand shock as the arrows left my bow. And watching those arrows zip through deer seemingly unnoticed was incredibly satisfying too. I still shoot Stingers with my trad setup, but I’ve got even more weight built into my arrows on the front end. If I’m not mistaken I think I’m pushing 640 grains total weight and around 18% FOC. Seems to work really well.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
I don't really care what he's selling...he's a salesman...and I hate salesmen. Especially salesmen who swear up and down they aren't selling. And I particularly hate this one. His smarmy, attitude and 'adult arrow' BS turns my stomach.

He could be selling sliced bread and I wouldn't buy it from him.

Having said that, I haven't shot a mechanical BH in my life. Started with Montecs and Ive stuck with them.

Reactions: bowhunter1023
I have looked a lot into this and I just can’t see changing a setup that works for me. I shoot an arrow with an insert, lumenoks, a 125 rage no, and I shoot 10.2 gpi Eastons with a 27.5 inch arrow. 73#s out of my Mathews and I usually get pass throughs and decent blood trails. I do however love the thought of less of a track job, less suffering from the animal and a more ethical kill. But I haven’t had any issues with this set up in about 4 years. I do however know a lot of people that have made the switch. My good friend from Florida for example shoots the vxr and runs a single bevel broad head, an arrow weight, with inserts around 345-350 grains. 200 grain Maasai single bevel at that.... I think with his lighted nock his total weight is around 545-555. His FOC is around 12 or 13. Anyways long story short he always shot shorter arrows and mechanicals. Switched over this year and the first deer he shot was a buck I put him on here in Ohio and the thing didn’t go 20... literally went maybe 20-25 yards.deer was hit and mule kicked, slowly walked over to the thicket, laid down and died.punched through ribs and just absolutely destroyed this deer. To this I say, to each their own, and ranch fairy knows his shit.... but I’m sticking with my eastons and my rages lol picture of the 8 he took on public this year

Attachments

• 6DD2FF0B-ACC5-4E0B-B567-F6AF88652225.jpeg
    6DD2FF0B-ACC5-4E0B-B567-F6AF88652225.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 4123FFEA-7BAD-40DF-9975-CC8BAA33B5FA.png
    4123FFEA-7BAD-40DF-9975-CC8BAA33B5FA.png
    560 KB · Views: 17
  • 78470F0D-6FFF-48E7-86D9-C7D7FB1C1C77.png
    78470F0D-6FFF-48E7-86D9-C7D7FB1C1C77.png
    560 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: Wildlife

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Thinking my load will be 28” (thanks short arms) CE Piledriver 350’s at 11.4 GPI with a 50 grain brass insert and a 125 grain broad head or 175 grain head.
Make sure your within your spine range with that much up front. You might want 300’s at 29 inches to balance spine breakdown. I always found CE spines to vary more than I cared for so if you have a flier with them dont be surprised if it’s a weaker spine issue with that shaft

OO2

Unknown
Make sure your within your spine range with that much up front. You might want 300’s at 29 inches to balance spine breakdown. I always found CE spines to vary more than I cared for so if you have a flier with them dont be surprised if it’s a weaker spine issue with that shaft
I appreciate the insight

Last edited:

OO2

Unknown
Imagine having a database/ program that someone could enter all of their specs and desired arrow weight/ foc that would spit out possible arrow manufacturers/ models for them.

Reactions: Big_Holla and giles

Milo

Tatonka guide.
On this topic J I agree with this discussion. But lets be real honest here. 95% of archers can’t, won’t or aren’t even able to comprehend it. Hell cabelas doesn’t even carry a 300 spine arrow in their stores

Last edited: