Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Raising Pheasant

Nighthawk

Pickaway
Just came across this one. Very cool read. I have been thinking of doing this. Very cool flight pen. Any update on this? Are you still raising them? Are you seeing any making it to next spring?

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I raised them for several years. I do not raise them currently.
I enjoyed it very much. I see the occasional pheasant but have no way of knowing if they came from my stock or not. I will say that I had never seen a wild bird around my house before raising them. I saw 2 within a mile of my house this past fall.

r49740

ne ohio
Was just googling about pheasants and come across this thread. Registered for the site and really interested. Purchased a 100 acre farm next to our house property that we have really done a lot of work improving. Have a couple horses that the wife works, and do a lot of horse hay cutting, along with a bigger field for food plots for deer and turkey. One of the goals has always been to raise and release pheasants for a project my mom and I can work on. I dont know if theres any way to send private messages on here if thats easiest, or if you would even be open to it. But if theres any way maybe you could share your building plans, material lists, ect... that would be great. I will be working on some stands of stitchgrass so they would have cover with that. And also part of the plantings in the fields includes things like some millet and sunflowers, clovers, etc. Any info you would be willing to share I would greatly appreciate. Plan on building whats needed in the spring and getting started from there.

Reactions: aholdren

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
As for the brooder house. I just simply built a 8’ x 8’ floor. Topped it with plywood then built the walls and roof. I don’t have any plans or material list as I just winged it. For the flight pen I just drive engineer stakes 8’ apart and then strung chicken wire. I bought a big piece of nylon netting and covered the top of the flight pen. I found the netting online.
I kept things pretty simple. I put a Bunche of pine limbs through out the pen so they had places to roost and hide.

Reactions: Sgt Fury