Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Questions about hog hunting for sausage

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Ive been thinking about finding a guided hunt somewhere for feral pig/wild hog and using the meat to explore charcuterie. Having never hunted or processed a pig before, I am curious if any of you can give me some pointers or advice. In addition to whatever thoughts you have, I'm curious about: Was it worth it and did you like the finished product? Did you make sausage out of it? Would it mix well with venison in summer sausage? Would you do it again? Did you have any issues with the taste of the pig? Did you brine it? If you went with a guide service, would you recommend them?

Jamie

Ohio
I used to go south regularly to hunt real wild feral hogs on private property in South Carolina. we stalked pigs in the palmetto swamps with bows and arrows, and it is big fun. we also trapped as many as we could while we were having fun killing them with arrows. feral hogs are delicious, and not really much different in taste than well raised barnyard hogs. the big difference is much less fat on wild pigs like all wild game. we made quite a lot of sausages from ground feral hog, and at the end of it all, the average person would not know the difference between domestic and feral pork once you grind, mix with lots of seasonings and/or cure, cook or smoke. the joy of acquiring feral hogs for food lies in their pursuit. I would not pay money to shoot a pig in a pen just to experiment with charcuterie. I think I'd practice on store bought pork shoulders. if you really want to hunt wild pigs, you gotta go south.

I did actually pay to hunt pigs once. in 1996 I went with a group of friends to hunt Javelina and feral hogs on the King Ranch in south Texas. Four Arrows Outfitters ran the hunts there. all free range, fair chase. as it were, I skewerd two nice Javies and ran over a big black hog with my truck by accident while barreling down a sendero in the dark. was a good hunt, a fun get away, and our group wound up killing a pile of pigs and peccaries. Javelinas are good to eat, too.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
All depends what the wild hog is feeding on. They can be better than store bought pork. Our marsh hogs are very strong and I won’t eat them. The hogs killed in the woods are excellent.
I can’t recommend you a paid hog hunt but your welcome to come hunt w us during the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tipmoose and "J"

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
When I was in the service, we used to go on “hog patrol”. Friday or Saturday night at a bar called the Covered Wagon. Everyone would put 5 bucks in the pot. Used to have at least 20 guys in the group including a few Nco’s and a couple officers. That was a lot of money to be had for an enlisted guy back in the early 80’s. The rules were...You only had one try and then you were done. You had to dance with a girl and kiss her on the dance floor. Everyone then voted and gave a score....the heavier and uglier garnered the most points. You had until midnight to complete the task. If you didn’t complete your task, you lost, but waiting closer to midnight also gave you the advantage as you knew a winner when you saw one. Also, it’s easier to bag one when they don’t know they’re being hunted...once word got out, they were harder to hunt. F the beer mugs...everyone ordered their own pitcher and drank from it. And if you must know....I did win...once! 😂😂

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
When I was in the service, we used to go on “hog patrol”. Friday or Saturday night at a bar called the Covered Wagon. Everyone would put 5 bucks in the pot. Used to have at least 20 guys in the group including a few Nco’s and a couple officers. That was a lot of money to be had for an enlisted guy back in the early 80’s. The rules were...You only had one try and then you were done. You had to dance with a girl and kiss her on the dance floor. Everyone then voted and gave a score....the heavier and uglier garnered the most points. You had until midnight to complete the task. If you didn’t complete your task, you lost, but waiting closer to midnight also gave you the advantage as you knew a winner when you saw one. Also, it’s easier to bag one when they don’t know they’re being hunted...once word got out, they were harder to hunt. F the beer mugs...everyone ordered their own pitcher and drank from it. And if you must know....I did win...once! 😂😂
But.... but.... how did she tastes?