Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Plots Made Easy - First Timers

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Wayment. What's this stuff? 😎 Finally!!!!!
20200814_160457.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
No complaints here knowing what's coming. 8 days of nothing but morning dew and we have signs of life. This rain is perfectly timed.

IMG_20200814_175624_364.jpg
20200814_175204.jpg
20200814_174730.jpg

And it doesn't get any easier than this $10 experiment. I broadcast a 1/4 acres worth of brassica and rape seed along this edge. The beans are thin and the weeds are too, so the seed definitely hit the ground. Figured I'd see what kind of results it generates for shits and giggles.

20200814_181816.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My buddy mentioned tonight he wants some food plots done. He is building but his wife doesn't want to plant grass until the house is done. They won't start building for another year or so. He has deer using the property regularly. This is just an attempt to slow them down and maybe funnel them a bit.

Been awhile since I've messed with food plots. I read thru but didn't pick up which blends would do best this time of the year. Memory says oats/rye/wheat but I don't want to tell him wrong. Is my memory correct? Maybe toss some clover in hoping it to do well next spring?

Or is there another thread I'm overlooking in regards to best blends to plant this time of the year?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Anything can be killed off and grass planted later. I realize clovers could give him issues once a lawn is installed, but I don't think he is looking for 5 acres of golf course turf down the road. I doubt he has the lawn treated once planted.

I was more looking for which specific seed varieties can be planted this late in the season. He just wants "something" for the deer rather than staring at dirt. I told him more than once to get soil samples. It won't happen. Most people ignore this step and do it the hard way. Just being real. We've all seen it time and time again.

Reactions: Stressless

Stressless

Keene, OH
One of the reasons I like to follow Jeff is, for a few years now, he roles videos out along with the seasons. This is from late last week and might be beneficial on figuring out what to plant - I would just amend with Plot Start or similar if no soil sample, regardless what is planted.

What I planted to meet my goals is over :https://theohiooutdoors.com/threads/stressless-farm-blog-wildlife-habitat-improvements.26114/page-3#post-889785

Basically mixed legumes then overseeded with Tillage radish ~ 10 Aug, crimson clover and winter rye ~5 Sep.

Also look into https://vitalizeseed.com/products22/ this is @at1010 seed blends.

Last edited:
Reactions: hickslawns

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
@hickslawns I think if it were me, I would plant a mix of oats/winter rye/ladino clover/crimson clover. The cereal grains would grow easily and quickly, and provide a reliable attraction through the first month or so of bow season. The clover would really take off next spring, providing warm season nutrition for does and fawns... and also fixate some nitrogen in the soil, which should help feed his new lawn when he finally gets to that point. Clover won't be a problem unless he allows it to be. When it's time for the lawn, nuke the clover with herbicide and be done with it. If he wants some potential late-season attraction, throw some brassica/turnips into the mix. Easy peazy.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
@hickslawns I think if it were me, I would plant a mix of oats/winter rye/ladino clover/crimson clover. The cereal grains would grow easily and quickly, and provide a reliable attraction through the first month or so of bow season. The clover would really take off next spring, providing warm season nutrition for does and fawns... and also fixate some nitrogen in the soil, which should help feed his new lawn when he finally gets to that point. Clover won't be a problem unless he allows it to be. When it's time for the lawn, nuke the clover with herbicide and be done with it. If he wants some potential late-season attraction, throw some brassica/turnips into the mix. Easy peazy.
My thoughts to a T.