Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Plots Made Easy - First Timers

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Typical seeding rate for cereal grains is 80-100 pounds per acre. If I was broadcasting over a bean crop, I'd probably stick closer to a cover crop broadcasting rate, say between 30 and 50 pounds per acre.

This is exact! Thank you! I tend to go a bit heavy and stick around 50lbs per acre for reasons I stated above vs. a lesser of only 30lbs per acre. Either will work!

buckstar25

T-county
Pinwheeling your plot will give you a lot of different options. Depending on the size of your plot you can really create good edge habitat. I only do a small 1 acre plot as I have tons of crop fields around me.

I second the turnip bullshit, we had some awesome turnips and the deer never touched them. Waste of time and money.

Winter peas cannot be beat in my area, everything eats them. I plan on planting sorgum this year to allow the peas to climb. The sorgum will provide some browse protection until the plants start climbing.

Another great option is the forage radish, lettuce, and rape.

jlane

dunn nc
I know some don't like turnips and tublers for deer plots.
I planted turnips, ground hog radish, and rape. Then overseeded with rye.
I've also read where the deer would not touch the tubes, Guys let me say I'll be doing the same this year with some corn just for something tall standing out there.
It got hammered hard to start with, turnip salad got hammered the most, with the radish and rape second.
Once the acorns started to fall they let up a little, still had deer on it everyday.
They loved that plot. It's about 3/4 acre plot.
below are pic of plot from sept. till jan. It looks like a hog pen with hardly and tublers left, after the cold hit it they absolutly demolished the turnip roots.
don't know why i had the success with mine where others are dissatified with the way theirs turned out, maybe the deer in other areas had other plots they feed on. THUMB_100EK113-EK000389.JPGTHUMB_101EK113-EK000220.JPGTHUMB_104EK113-EK000237.JPG

jlane

dunn nc
Plot has not been mowed or tilled sence august when i overseeded with rye.
They totally distroyed it
Got some really good buck activity in there.THUMB_104EK113-EK000104.JPGTHUMB_104EK113-EK000268.JPGEK000822.jpgTHUMB_103EK113-EK000284.JPGTHUMB_102EK113-EK000464.JPG

Stressless

Keene, OH
Good stuff, the original post stated Clover fixes Nitrogen which is technically correct, but if you inoculate any legume (clover, alfalfa, chicory, birdsfoot trefoil, etc) the nitrogen fixation factor is multiplied many times.

Inoculation is the process of introducing commercially prepared rhizobia bacteria into the soil. Each legume species requires a specific species of rhizobia to form nodules and fix nitrogen.

This is why I suggest everyone should discuss your soil sample with a local co-OP or extension agronomist and get your seeds from same, properly inoculated with the correct bacteria for the species you want to plant in your plot.

Legume family
Plants that contribute to nitrogen fixation include those of the legume familyFabaceae— with taxa such as kudzu, clover, soybean, alfalfa, lupin, peanut and rooibos. They contain symbiotic rhizobia bacteria within nodules in their root systems, producing nitrogen compounds that help the plant to grow and compete with other plants. When the plant dies, the fixed nitrogen is released, making it available to other plants; this helps to fertilize the soil.

Stressless

Keene, OH
Yep totally agree, I had all my plots in summer clover, trefoil, chicory- early- Summer- early fall plots then overseeded with rye. I, just Last week, burned down three of them to plant a solid fall/winter plots, they are in an area to define movement, hit that 3rd feeding of the day, "deer feed five times a day-Sturgis".

I can't get the touch rate up (revisit) on the plots to do the full buckwheat and half brassicas, I admire Jeff for his business plan and the way he presents solid info.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
There's nothing easy about spreading seed and then going 7-8-9 days without rain. I'm sitting here fingers crossed contemplating a rain dance that we get rain this weekend. If not, I'm in trouble...
I ordered seed that is supposed to be here tomorrow. Field is sprayed and hoping to get it turned over and seeded before Saturday. Would have been easier if I didn’t take 2 overtime’s this week.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I disked up a plot last night. Going to seed it with brassicas this evening. It wouldn’t hurt to be disked again. Should I do that before seeding or after?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We're gonna get what we need tomorrow. I'm running to the farm tonight to check what I seeded last week and overseed if needed. All my brassica/turnip/sugar beet seed should be here today. I'm going to broadcast those in the bare spots in our beans and see what happens.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yep, we're looking at anywhere from 0.5"-1" over the course of the weekend. As long as it's slow and steady, I'm fine. If it starts with an immediate toad strangler, I have 2 plots in big trouble.

Reactions: OhioWhiteTails