Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Phil's journal 2014 2015

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Can't believe I haven't started this yet. Abbreviated version starting now:

I have put 31.5hrs into deer hunting this season. Numerous more if the road scouting and summer prep work is included. Actual hunting 31.5hrs. I have seen 18 deer.

Honestly been a slow start. Have had some excitement at moments, but many hunts with no deer seen. Last Friday I finally got a shot on a mature doe. Hunting from a ground blind, I did not get the shot I desired. Not sure if the shoot thru mesh deflected the shot, a tree limb deflected it, or if I simply made a bad shot. Short version of the story is I bumped her 4 times. Once alone at which point I backed out. 3 times were with Hank working the blood trail. I finished her with a second arrow after a 1/2 mile tracking job. I am not proud of the shot but I am as proud of the hunt as if I had shot a B&C buck. To continue pushing her and opening up the wound/tire her out was not my plan but my options were limited. I had to be on the road at 5pm for a soccer game in Wauseon for our son. The following day would be an out of town tournament. She would have gone to waste. I owed it to the animal to finish her rather than let her suffer. It was very rewarding to complete the job.

Tonight was also slow. Then in the last 30 min things got exciting. There was a lone doe hanging out. She disappeared and two bucks made their way across the field. They pushed each other around a bit, but the larger buck appeared to be annoyed more than anything. Eventually, they moved into the woods where I listened to the larger buck thrash trees the last 10min of shooting light. The smaller buck worked inside the wood line toward me and popped out into the corn. He offered a 28yd broadside shot which I passed. The bigger buck never showed himself again. Attached is a video of part of this show. Given my limited time in the woods, I believe I would have shot the larger buck. He is not a monster, but he is a solid deer. I am guessing mid to upper 130's. He appears to be plenty mature for me. Looked like he has a lot of burger on those hooves. I was hunting a woods I cut my teeth in. For nostalgic reasons, I think I would have killed him given the chance. I am not running cameras here. Just going old school and will decide to shoot or not shoot when/if the moment arrives.

[video=youtube_share;GBV-PVP4ppw]http://youtu.be/GBV-PVP4ppw[/video]

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was not as diligent in my efforts to keep this journal up as I should have been this year. Honestly did not think I would be contributing to it again this season. Quite a blessing I am opening it back up.

The last couple weeks my son has said he wants to hunt deer this year. First couple times I wrote it off. Going into Christmas break for school I asked if he was serious. Again, he said he wanted to hunt on his break. Today we shot the muzzle loader. 250gr Hornady SST with a 50gr Pyrodex pellet. He was shooting pretty good. Tomorrow we will head back out in the morning to shoot again. I am seeing very few deer in our areas. Not sure the reality of him getting a shot at a deer. I am proud of the fact he has been serious and we will be hunting the next several nights. Deer seen or not, it will be quality time in the woods with my son behind the trigger.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
That's great news Phil . I know as we talked before you said he didn't seem interested. So I'm glad he has a change of heart. Good luck I hope you guys put one down. It can be frustrating with the younger ones but its worth every minute. Good luck.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Amen and thank you Sean and Jake. Garrett made the decision to take off the second indoor soccer season. His toe has been bothering him. He has nursed it through fall season, one indoor season, and said he wants a break. We will NOT push him into soccer. Burnout kills many young athletes. We will NOT push him. If he wants to sit out a season, I am okay. The fact HE said he wants to hunt will also NOT be pushed by me. It WILL be encouraged, but it will not be pushed. I want Garrett to want it for him, not for me. I cannot tell you how much it warms my heart to hear my son say he wants to hunt. I gave him ONE stipulation. IF I buy another apprentice hunting license and a tag, I told him he has to hunt at least 3 times. He said, "Ok, Dad. That is no problem." I truly do not want to push him, but I want him to know I want a bit of commitment before I spend the money on license and tags.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good luck this weekend. Buying tags is a good investment in his future.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Swapped 3 camera cards yesterday. I had left them out for inventory and trespasser patrol purposes. Within the last 3 days one of my shooters has still been showing up. This creates a quandary for me as a father. Would absolutely love to see my son tag him. Would also totally hate it. If myself, my son, one of my buddies tagged him. . . I am okay with it. This is why I would love it. If my son gets a chance at him, I am not so sure this is what I want for his FIRST deer. My first deer was a stud. He truly hooked me on deer hunting. Not sure a 10yr old would get the same result out of it. I sort of want him to "earn it". Yeah yeah. He is hunting spots I have scouted and will have put him on. I am just not sure I want him to think this is what it is all about. Truthfully, a button buck or year and a half old buck would be ideal in my eyes. Saves the does. Gives him his first deer. Gives him something to look forward to improving on down the road. Starting with a 160" deer is not reality for most. Time will tell I suppose.