Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Phil's 2019 season

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Okay. My son wanted to practice driving. He has never driven my truck. He was my chauffeur for deer road scouting. Nearly killed us by not braking before a turn. Never knew the Tacoma would do so well in autocross. I know. I know. "But did you die?" No. We did not. Might have soiled myself though.

So there were three bucks. Saw left side of biggest. Right nice. I knew he was one of three similar 10pts on camera on this property. One is 130ish. The other is 140ish. The big boy is 150ish. I squeezed the trigger when he hit the opening thinking he was the 140ish. . .hoping it was the 150ish. . . Praying it wasn't the 130ish. Don't get me wrong. Nothing wrong with 130ish. But in terms of age class, I didn't want to shoot the 130ish.

Long story short, I shot him. Ran 30-40yds. Stopped. I had chambered another round already. Drew a bead. Squeezed off another round. Lost sight of him. Waited 30-45min. Took my time climbing down. Re-hung a camera I pulled last time because batteries were dead. Cinched up the climber. Crossed the creek. Dropped climber and back pack. Slowly eased my way in looking for blood. The results. . . .

Morning hunt property east: 5 min but sat an hour
Deer seen: 10
Does: 7
Bucks: 3
Bow range: 6
Deer tagged: 1

Season totals
Hunts: 34
Hours hunted: 106.5
Deer seen: 195
Deer in bow range: 71
Does: 159
Bucks: 46
Deer tagged: 2

Congratulations Phil on that awesome buck harvest!

He's beauty for sure!

Reactions: hickslawns

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks all. Been a great year. Tag punched or not, I would have been happy. Had a ton of great encounters. If you were following along with the journal all season, I don't think you'll find any excessive whining. Maybe a complaint and some frustration at times but. . .that is hunting. Stuff happens.

Was really just hoping to get my buddies on deer this weekend. My friend with health issues woke up sick. The other had family obligations. Hopefully I can help them drag deer out tomorrow. My heart was in the right place. I feel this is why I was blessed with this buck today. May not have worked out to help them, but God knows our true heart and rewards as such.