Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Phil's 2016 sheds

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have been super stressed lately. The wife I have is amazing. She suggested I go shed hunting today to unwind. Naturally. . . .I didn't hesitate.

Nothing. Did kick up 3 tom turkeys with probably 5-8" beards. No antlers. Seems most have shed, but not all. Swapped 3 camera cards. Looks like 2/3 to 3/4 have shed now. The ones holding on are holding onto one side.

037.jpg030.jpg073.jpg013.jpg169.jpg108.jpg

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Those turkeys in your pics look to have beards longer than 5-8". Hopefully that means you'll have several to choose from.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Those turkeys in your pics look to have beards longer than 5-8". Hopefully that means you'll have several to choose from.

I had 6-8" initially. I changed it to 5-8". I don't want to over exaggerate. They looked pretty decent. Not massive, but not jakes. I really don't know. I'm not a turkey guy. Don't even know if I will get a chance to hunt them.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I had 6-8" initially. I changed it to 5-8". I don't want to over exaggerate. They looked pretty decent. Not massive, but not jakes. I really don't know. I'm not a turkey guy. Don't even know if I will get a chance to hunt them.
If you do you do. Just remember that beard length doesn't indicate age at all. I was just over at my buddies yesterday and he had a fan mount, with the beard hanging, and the turkeys feet dangling below it. That bird probably had a 9 inch beard but sported 1.5" spurs, probably at least a 4 year old. Hopefully you can get out and have some fun, and blast one in the face!