Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This is a stupid-easy recipe for making noodle soup with ditch-chickens. Total prep and cook time is about 1-hour, if using an InstaPot. You can also make it with a slow cooker, but obviously that will take much longer. I really enjoy it with crackers when it's hot and fresh. Leftovers, if thickened, are great poured over some homemade mashed potatoes.

Ingredients
2 - Whole pheasants, plucked or skinned
64 oz - Swanson Chicken Broth
8 oz - Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
6 - Celery stalks, chopped
6 - Carrots, chopped
16 oz - Wide or Extra-wide Egg Noodles
1/2 - Large onion, chopped
2 - Tbsp Old Bay seasoning
1 - Tbsp black pepper
2 - Tbsp parsley flakes (fresh chopped is better)
1 - Tbsp garlic powder

Before cooking, brine the pheasants in salt water for a day, remove and rinse. (Brining is optional)

Place all ingredients except for the egg noodles in an InstaPot. Give it a good stir to mix everything. Set the InstaPot for Pressure Cook on HIGH for 30-minutes. When finished, manually release the pressure. Remove the pheasant pieces and place in a container or on a baking sheet. Add the egg noodles into the InstaPot and set the unit to Saute (lid off). After a few minutes, the broth will begin to simmer and/or boil. Cook until the noodles are tender, stirring occasionally, usually 10-12 minutes. While this is going on, pick the pheasant meat off the carcass and cut/shred into soup-size chunks. Be sure to remove the bone-like tendons from the lower leg meat. Add pheasant meat back into the pot, give it a stir, and enjoy.

*Note - Depending on your size/model of InstaPot, you may not get all the chicken broth into the pot before cooking (capacity limit for pressure cooking). Simply add more broth at the very end if you like a thinner soup.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
B8E42AFA-50AE-4154-AA40-E526741E4AC9.jpeg

mrbighorns

Medina
Did you just follow the instapot recipe but used the crockpot? Hi or lo and how long. I love chicken noodle soup and i have a couple pheasants. thanks

Isaacorps

Columbus
Did you just follow the instapot recipe but used the crockpot? Hi or lo and how long. I love chicken noodle soup and i have a couple pheasants. thanks
Yes, I followed the instant pot recipe but used the crock pot. I put everything together last night and put it in the fridge. Put it on low for about 9 hours and high for 2 more. Meat was fall off the bone tender. I did, however, cook the noodles separately as I didn’t have time to cook them in the broth. I’m sure you could knock a couple hours off of the cooking time if it’s not refrigerator cold at the start

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
@Isaacorps glad you liked it man! It does look good in that bowl! It’s hard to beat it for simplicity : deliciousness ratio. I look forward to making it again. I ate on this last batch for about 4 days straight. 😂

Reactions: Isaacorps