Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

People do crazy stuff because of deer....

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
It appears to me that deer and all things deer related can cause peole to do crazy shit.

I've seen pictures of a guy dry-humping a dead deer. Obviously a joke, but was it? What happened after the picture?
Guys argue over deer. Fisticuffs over territory. Sabotage. Guys lie to their spouses in order to hunt.
Deer issues have turned brother against brother.
People steal gear, ruin other hunters setups, poach and do illegal shit.
People pay thousands of dollars to go to outfitters who shit on them if they shoot a sub-par buck. Really?!!

Guys sleep in the woods at night so they don't have to travel in to an area in the morning.
Guys don't wash for months for scent reasons.

What is something crazy you've done or known someone else to do for deer?

(Not to mention pictures of deer strapped to Mazdas, bicycles, and skateboards)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
For me, it's probably my general mental state of mind. I literally think about deer hunting related stuff throughout the day, every day, all year long. I listen to a few hours of podcast each week and watch hunting videos more than anything else. I shower with green soap all year just to avoid a build up of unnatural scent. Nothing too outlandish, but if you don't know, you don't know and it's probably pretty strange.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dan, you’re uncanny. We’ve had an incident right here at the house while I was hunting Monday. I’m in such a knot about it I don’t even want to talk about it yet. I may at some point but right now I’m so sick about what this individual did I can hardly think about it. All for a deer. A really nice deer but still a deer. Just suffice it to say I’ve lost respect for a man over it. Kinda doubt I’ll be able to call him a friend ever again. All for a deer.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well @Dannmann801 When i had a brain scan the results looked like this..pretty much 24/7 😂😂😂
Screenshot_20221117-180455_Instagram.jpg

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I spend too much money on gas and equipment.

My downfall is forgetting why I started hunting deer (for meat). I see great bucks here and I think that's going to happen to me. I've hunted long enough to know that it's not. Instead of harvesting when I have beautiful and exciting opportunities I wait, because I'm convinced that there are better deer around the corner. There aren't. I get caught up in the game of doing the same thing and expecting different results.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Gotta pick your poison, I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Luckily I’ve only ran across a few assholes in my hunting career. Nothing major but if you do this long enough, odds are you’ll cross paths.
I will say this. I’ve crossed more paths of great folks than not so great folks.

Fletch

Supporting Member
My wife always told me: " If you would only put as much time and dedication into your job as you do with hunting you'd be better off " She probably was right... But if I had to do it again, I'd do it all over again exactly the same way...

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
I sent an entire bottle of tinks through the dryer. My wife really appreciated that. Two weeks later the foil in the dryer exhaust had completly disintegrated and needed replaced.

I bought a black lab pup, had him trained to the hunt test level. He developed epilepsy shortly after and I couldnt risk sending him on water retrieves for fear of him drowning. So he lived out his days as a couch dog. A very expensive couch dog.

I've written off relationships with people, and extended family because they decided to be anti gun bunny huggers.

I once placed ten battery powered alarm clocks in the brush around (30 - 40 yd radius) someone's stand. Each set to go off fifteen minutes after the previous one. Starting at 40 min before sunrise. Daily.

I watched a club member JB Weld the doors shut on a trespassers truck.

Fletch

Supporting Member
I sent an entire bottle of tinks through the dryer. My wife really appreciated that. Two weeks later the foil in the dryer exhaust had completly disintegrated and needed replaced.

I bought a black lab pup, had him trained to the hunt test level. He developed epilepsy shortly after and I couldnt risk sending him on water retrieves for fear of him drowning. So he lived out his days as a couch dog. A very expensive couch dog.

I've written off relationships with people, and extended family because they decided to be anti gun bunny huggers.

I once placed ten battery powered alarm clocks in the brush around (30 - 40 yd radius) someone's stand. Each set to go off fifteen minutes after the previous one. Starting at 40 min before sunrise. Daily.

I watched a club member JB Weld the doors shut on a trespassers truck.
I like the alarm clock idea and have done the same with only two clocks placed in trees with my climber...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
It was back in 1977. My folks got me the 50 cal. Thompson flintlock muzzy kit for Christmas. By spring I had it stained and browned. I spent all summer shooting that thing in anticipation of taking my deer with it. Patch and ball. Iron sights, Old school. I couldn’t have acted like Ralphie and his Red Ryder much more…

In those days, Ashtabula County was swarmed with carloads of guys from Cleveland, Road hunting block by country block. Posted property made no difference. Drop a carload of guys and push the block. After block. After block. The first few days of gun sounded like a war zone. Harvest counts were only at 23,000 so people would empty a gun in an effort to kill a deer. The state would let you use a muzzy for the week of gun but other than that it was shot gun. Smooth bore, lead pumpkin ball slugs.

I was 16. Gramp had taught me the most basic of hunting but most information was learned from deer hunting magazines. I would subscribe to 3-4 mags a year, reading of the tactics used by the authors. No one had trail cams, computers or anywhere near the data at your fingertips you have 45 years later…

Anyway, I was ready. I had “found” wood scraps from Dads out building and made a tree stand 200 yards off a back road in the corner of the woods over looking a corn field. As I sat in my stand with every piece of hunting equipment I had, (just in case), I watched a lone buck run into the field. He milled a round and finally started to come my way. I got ready…annnnd a was still ready what seemed like a hour later. Hands numb from unknowingly squeezing the gun in anticipation of my first deer kill. Finally, he came into range, nervous from shooting a block to the east. He turned giving me the 1/4ing away shot and I took it at about 50 yards. I was amazed how fast he turned and took off. Waiting the hour was an eternity but I did it. I had killed my first deer. I climbed down and started my blood trail. He had gone the 200 yards and crossed the dirt road into a overgrown field/ young woods. I was no further than a little ways in when I saw the 5 guys in orange huddled around talking. As I got up to them, I saw my 6 point laying there dead. Nervisly I said “ thanks for marking my dead deer guys”…

“Your deer ? That's not your deer boy. We shot that deer boy”.

“O common man You can see the tracks came from across the road. You guys haven’t fired a shot!!!”

“That’s our deer kid. What you going ta do about it? “( laughter)

I left. I wanted to scream, cry and get revenge. By the time I walked home and called the game warden and went back, they were gone. Just a cold gut pile an a drag trail to the roads edge. It would be several years after that before I was able to tag a deer.

feb 2011 water damage kict and bathroom 086.jpg