Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pellet Grills

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
61ADE709-E863-42CB-B3BE-677179F57F76.jpeg

Looking forward to putting this in smoker Saturday

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Need some ideas for this weekend. Never done a brisket or pork butt yet. Have done plenty of venison, ribs and chicken on the smoker though. Any killer recipes you can recommend with your idea for us??
Go to meatchurch.com and search the recipes.😎👍🏻

Last edited:
Meat Church was a very good watch to give me the confidence in making our first pork butt ever. Found some local rubs and a little extra cayenne pepper and this was the result.
1656973512044.jpeg

Cannot believe how easy it pulled and the taste is incredible. Allen and Terry said the smell is unbelievable. Go figure I still can’t smell it but thank God I can taste it.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
I figured I'd bump this, and ask if everyone is still liking their pellet grills. @giles and @bowhunter1023, @"J", have you had any issues with your grills holding temps in colder weather? Any issues with parts burning out or needing replaced?

The main reason I'm considering one is for making summer sausage. Has anyone here used their grill for summer sausage?

I usually make about 30lbs at a time and my Bradley just can't handle that much. It struggles to maintain temp and then overshoots. The ends get burned and fat renders out.

Reactions: Stressless

Big H

Medina
I had to replace the control panel on my Traeger after Thanksgiving. It wouldn't stay at temperature. Other than that issue I use it all the time. Just made a Mexican pulled pork last week with a couple of butts and they were a big hit. Did some beef western style boneless ribs the other day and they were outstanding also.

Big H

Medina
Mexican Pulled Pork

Attachments

• 9A6F8286-CECA-48CE-A62C-FD8A68F56B39.jpeg
    9A6F8286-CECA-48CE-A62C-FD8A68F56B39.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 51
  • FF15FB43-06C9-48F2-9924-545107C0E96D.jpeg
    FF15FB43-06C9-48F2-9924-545107C0E96D.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 52
  • EF8D5635-7190-4749-9A56-640E32DB59FC.jpeg
    EF8D5635-7190-4749-9A56-640E32DB59FC.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 46
  • BF5297C2-7172-46F6-AC11-01A3B469A399.jpeg
    BF5297C2-7172-46F6-AC11-01A3B469A399.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 9843E64C-EA59-4F29-A473-8ED8D4058DDD.jpeg
    9843E64C-EA59-4F29-A473-8ED8D4058DDD.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 50

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Mine is suffering from a moving incident (snapped a wheel), but was also acting funky the last I used it. I think it needs to be cleaned and reset. It definitely struggles to hold temp when it's cold out, especially if you want to cook hot. I'm still somewhat pleased with the purchase, but the honeymoon is over.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I figured I'd bump this, and ask if everyone is still liking their pellet grills. @giles and @bowhunter1023, @"J", have you had any issues with your grills holding temps in colder weather? Any issues with parts burning out or needing replaced?

The main reason I'm considering one is for making summer sausage. Has anyone here used their grill for summer sausage?

I usually make about 30lbs at a time and my Bradley just can't handle that much. It struggles to maintain temp and then overshoots. The ends get burned and fat renders out.
They make ones with insulated smoking chambers, or Traeger i think makes a blanket to put over it.

For smoking meats such as sausage, bacon, etc make sure it can go low enough that you aren't rendering your fat, many cannot. I've struggled with the same issue. Currently the temp controller i have for my kamado style can go as low as 175, which is just low enough i can make it work. I cold smoke my bacon.

For the noncommercial or not rich guys there aren't many good options. I think one of the vertical pit boss pellet ones goes low enough but the reviews are all over the board. The dedicated ones are great for making sausage, meat sticks but can't go hot enough for other bbq cooking. It's frustrating for sure. I know I'm looking for a bread proofing chamber to then add a smoke generator to myself.

SNIPERBBB

Se ohio

I've just gotten a Reqtec pellet smoker in January and done some cooks in freezing temps with no issues holding temp. They're a heavier machine than some of the cheaper smokers.

Reactions: Tipmoose

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Cold temperatures down here aren’t really a judge for you, windy (20+ mph) it gets a little more cycling up and down about 5-10* at times.
Operationally it’s been great. No issues after I got everything figured out. Human error, well….. I’ll plead the fifth 😶 😂

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
My Pit Boss does not like a lot of wind. It doesn’t do too bad just fluctuates temp a little more. In below freezing temps it takes longer to warm up to temp but does a pretty good job of holding it. As expected the amount of pellets used is more though. It is 6-7 years old now. Doesn’t get used as much the last 2 years. I moved it to our place in TN so it only gets used every couple weekends. The LCD is starting to go out.

Reactions: Tipmoose

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Cold temperatures down here aren’t really a judge for you, windy (20+ mph) it gets a little more cycling up and down about 5-10* at times.
Operationally it’s been great. No issues after I got everything figured out. Human error, well….. I’ll plead the fifth 😶 😂
You sure it's not more like drinking the fifth? ;)

Reactions: Hedgelj

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You sure it's not more like drinking the fifth? ;)
Well….. There may have been sooooommmmme alcohol involved……
PSA….. If the temperature drops dramatically? You may be out of pellets….. 🙄
If doing electrical work, don’t turn off the c/b on the outlet the traeger is plugged into….. 😳
If you hand a tray of prepped ribs too your drunken buddies to place on the traeger, double check that they removed the spatulas and the tray when they were done placing meat in there….. 🤬

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
uh that's quite the learning curve
Well….. There may have been sooooommmmme alcohol involved……
PSA….. If the temperature drops dramatically? You may be out of pellets….. 🙄
If doing electrical work, don’t turn off the c/b on the outlet the traeger is plugged into….. 😳
If you hand a tray of prepped ribs too your drunken buddies to place on the traeger, double check that they removed the spatulas and the tray when they were done placing meat in there….. 🤬

• Haha
Reactions: 5Cent and "J"