Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Operation Predator Control - 1023's Trapping Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Today's check was uneventful for the most part other than locating a road kill thanks to a tip from the neighbor. It died in some brush near the road on us and I got it before the yotes did. I parted out some pieces for bait and left the rest to set up on this weekend once they find it. May be too close to the road to be any good, but I can always drag it down in to the weeds and "totally cover" it...

First stop today was my "burrow" set that got worked last night. I set a snare above it so if they come in that way and lean out over the hole, they get caught. I reset the trap with more offset and added some dead sticks on the side it used to work the hole. I stuffed some bait down in the hole and cleaned up the area, then added the Hawbakers food lure and a fresh dose of yote piss. I also hung the nut sac from my kill yesterday up in the tree above it all, alove with a deer ear to put plenty of scent in the air stream down there.

Next set is in our main creek bottom. There is a snare set to catch anything going under the dead fall and bait buried up under the pile of logs in the upper left of the pic. I feel good about this one...

This pic doesn't do it justice, but this setup is awesome. I have a flat set on the backside of the tree on a trail they are using to cut up the hill. I dug a big hole under the tree and buried some bait in there with another foothold, then put a snare up in the pinch point of the brush I piled up. I put all kinds of "encouragement" on/in the tree, so it'll get their attention as they cruise down the holler.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
All these trapping threads have me pretty fired up. The fact that your little girl shows so much interest too is simply awesome. I look forward to that some day! So I better start now and figure out what the hell I'm doing lol!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't have any idea what I am doing, but it's another fun chess game to play outside! If you like solving problems, trapping coyotes is a damn good endeavor!

No luck this AM. Didn't cut a fresh track anywhere on the farm and I have a ton of mud trails torn up right now from driving the UTV around. I have some good sets out, so I think it's only a matter of time before I catch another one. Just need to stay after it and need it to get cold!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't have any idea what I am doing, but it's another fun chess game to play outside! If you like solving problems, trapping coyotes is a damn good endeavor!

No luck this AM. Didn't cut a fresh track anywhere on the farm and I have a ton of mud trails torn up right now from driving the UTV around. I have some good sets out, so I think it's only a matter of time before I catch another one. Just need to stay after it and need it to get cold!
Do you have any talk grassy areas similar to CRP ground? I was talking with a guy last week... He drove his side by side through his CRP field, then hung snares in the "lanes" created by the tires. He caught two or three yotes that way.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
The pic of you and the little one on Facebook w/ the yote in the background brought a big smile to my face when I seen it yesterday. Have been looking forward to reading this one since. Congrats!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Thanks Drake!

Do you have any talk grassy areas similar to CRP ground? I was talking with a guy last week... He drove his side by side through his CRP field, then hung snares in the "lanes" created by the tires. He caught two or three yotes that way.

I do, but most are mashed down due to the wet snow we had end of last week and my best access to "true" CRP is on a farm that just sold. Our farm lacks a lot of it, but I do have one spot where that might work. Seems like a solid idea to me.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio

You are doing just what you are supposed to. You can learn from 30 different people, video's or books. But you need experience and learn your own style that works for you. You can not buy experience. :smiley_coolpeace: I must say you are learning fast as well!

Diablo54

Outside
Good work! Your welcome for the help! Glad you are getting them! I had sets out for 3 weeks. I Didn't catch any!!! Like I said over the phone there's nothing like that feeling! Keep after em

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Empty sets again this morning. Nothing had been worked, so I suspect that I've killed both yotes I had on cam all the time. I went back and looked at pics. The one I killed in gun season and the one I caught were killed in the same holler where I got pics all the time. Can't tell much from the pics, but size and coloration are pretty similar to the ones I killed. I haven't ventured on to the neighbors yet and I know there's a den over there. I should have time on Saturday to set some traps near the den. That said, if the forecast stays the same, I may not run traps for much longer. A cold snap sure would be nice!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Give it at least 10 days Jesse. They are nomads and one can "overlap" at any time. That one year I thought I had 3~~We caught 9.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
On the board for the new season. Still doing my best to keep my chickens safe!

20201122_110931.jpg