Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

OO2 Trapping

OHIOOutdoors2

Unknown
Starting to get geared up to set some traps out at start of next week. Looks like there is plenty of muskrats, mink, raccoon and coyotes to keep me busy over break.

Trying to catch my first coyote with a foothold this season. As well as using HAGz brackets for muskrat traps.

I even have some sign of beavers that I hope stick around for a few more weeks.

OHIOOutdoors2

Unknown
That trap was dug out not frozen. It either stinks or moved when they stepped on the edge. Most likely wasn’t bedded solid.
Picture was taken after I cleaned the frozen mud off of the trap and fired it off this morning. They dug the frozen trap out of the bed.

How should I clean the stink off of the trap?
How are you bedding your traps to not get them dug up now that we are getting frozen/wet ground?

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Hard to do right now but I’ll rub them down with clumps of dirt or mud. I’ve had a few get pulled up lately with this hard wet freeze we had.
With this freeze it unsettles the traps that weren’t bedded solid and let’s them rock a little when they step near but not on the pan, then they dig. I’ve been putting a dusting of peat down first so the trap won’t freeze down then filling inside of the jaws with peat and covering with it. Then a ever so light dusting of dirt to cover, not enough to let rain make a solid crust on top.

It’s the freeze/thaw that makes it tough. If it would stay froze everything you put in would be dry and stay dry.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Wax dirt would be best but it’s expensive and I never seem to have time to make it ahead of time.
Don’t feel bad I had 3 sets that have been in for a while frozen and pulled up today out of 2 dozen.

OHIOOutdoors2

Unknown
Hard to do right now but I’ll rub them down with clumps of dirt or mud. I’ve had a few get pulled up lately with this hard wet freeze we had.
With this freeze it unsettles the traps that weren’t bedded solid and let’s them rock a little when they step near but not on the pan, then they dig. I’ve been putting a dusting of peat down first so the trap won’t freeze down then filling inside of the jaws with peat and covering with it. Then a ever so light dusting of dirt to cover, not enough to let rain make a solid crust on top.

It’s the freeze/thaw that makes it tough. If it would stay froze everything you put in would be dry and stay dry.
Okay, thank you. I will go out and get some peat moss to add to the trap beds. When you bed them are you ‘power bedding’ with nails or just bedding them so they rest on levers and jaws?