Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

One Last Hunt

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
DSC_4555.JPG

If the good Lord is willing, Timber will be 14 in January. He hasn't really hunted much in the last few years, although he still gets excited when I'm getting gear together, and he always comes outside to sniff the truck tailgate when I get home from a hunt. He's deaf. His eye sight isn't too sharp. His back legs are going out on him. So much so that I have been carrying him up the stairs for probably over a year now.

The thought hadn't really crossed my mind to try and get him out for one last hunt, but when my wife mentioned it at dinner last night I thought, "What the heck, let's try to give him one more show. He's definitely earned it.

Timber had a little pep in his step this morning, trotting in his tripod-like gate across the corn field. I wasn't sure if he would be able to make it all the way. He stumbled on the freshly-cut corn stubble a few times, but he persevered. He bounced up, dirt on his nose, like nothing happened. "Let's go guys, the blinds are this way." He still knew the drill, even though he was just going to be a spectator. On watch like always, his eyes were to the sky. He laid uncomfortably still in his blind, but he enjoyed the show.

The geese did what geese sometimes do, and followed other plans to feed in other fields. We convinced a few groups to come close enough for shots, ending up with three birds in the bag. The truly amazing surprise was on the leg of one of the geese that came down. A leg band, just for Timber on his one, last hunt.

DSC_4577 (2).JPG

His eyes were lit up from the time I started gathering gear last night to the time we wrapped up today. He's absolutely exhausted now, snoring under the desk next to me. His legs, kicking occasionally. Hopefully he's having dog dreams about his better days when he would blast out of the dog blind and tackle geese @JOHNROHIO and I had dropped into the corn field. Or maybe he's swimming after downed ducks, even diving under water in pursuit of crippled birds to bring them back to shore and return to the water for more. Perhaps he's breaking ice with his big barrel chest, because even freezing cold water couldn't deter him from making a retrieve. What ever he's dreaming, I hope he knows how legendary his last hunt truly was.

DSC_4560.JPG

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Although it was difficult to think about while we were doing it.

We’ve got a lot of good memories hunting with that bad ass, And truly unstoppable in his prime! Hell, he use to carry birds for us back to the truck after retrieving a full multi man limit hunt. I was glad to be part today, and he will always be a legend amongst hunting dogs in my mind.

Last edited:

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
That's an awesome story. Thanks for sharing that. Its clear how much Timber means to you and all of the memories you've shared with him. I wish my lab Phantom could have made it to 14. Guess I'm one of those sissies Brock talked about. To be honest, I like dogs more than I like most people.

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Time goes waaaay too fast @Jackalope !!

Here's a wild thought on the way the universe works. Without TOO this hunt might not have even happened.

Wait. What the hell are you talking about Curran?

One day, in the early days of TOO, me and @JOHNROHIO got together. I think maybe we were meeting up to do some dog training or something? Like so many other awesome friendships I now have, the origin can be traced back to just posting hunting stuff on here. Then, after you figure out the person on the other end of the internet isn't a serial killer, you get together (to really make sure they're not a serial killer:LOL:) and share the things you both enjoy. John and I haven't waterfowl hunted together in a couple years, but we still talk all the time. When John and I talked on Saturday about hunting together on Sunday, I knew it was go-time! That friendship goes way beyond just hunting, as with so many of the friendships I now have.

So in conclusion, don't be afraid to meet guys from the internet. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
One of the things that I found to be telling of how important that hunt was for Timber as much as it was to us. Now I know most never got the Honor to hunt beside Tim but, I had spent countless days and hours afield with him, I knew him and his demeanor very well and likewise probably could be said for me on his end.

Timber was all business all the time when hunting. He didn’t want his scratches or any physical love or praise during the hunt, he would show his disgust and disapproval with us when a hunt wasn’t going as planned that was about it. However this hunt was different, that last picture of me, with him Sean posted of me scratching his ear was not the norm for him. He actually had just gotten up and walked over to me and started licking my face and…… I just let him, what are you gonna due? It was as if he was just taking a moment to say thanks for the ride.

Last edited:

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Good stuff Sean. Take him til youThe Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this — the last battle — can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close — we two — these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears. know it’s a struggle for him. Even if you have to cart him to
Just a thought - hope Timber has a great Birthday party

Last edited:
Reactions: Curran