Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio-Style Beer Cheese - Smoked

Ohio-Style Beer Cheese​

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cloves garlic, grated (I used minced garlic, about a tablespoon)
One 12-ounce bottle beer, preferably lager, at room temperature (I used Moosehead Lager)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
One 8-ounce block sharp Cheddar, grated (I used good shredded Sargento Sharp Cheddar about 12 oz.)
1/4 cup heavy cream
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper

Melt the butter in a medium pot (I used a dutch oven to smoke on the pellet grill) over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and saute for 1 minute. Stir in the garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in the beer and mustard and cook, stirring, for a few minutes until the mixture begins to simmer and thicken. Whisk in the grated cheese a little at a time. Once all the cheese has been added, continue to cook, whisking, until the sauce is smooth and just beginning to bubble, another 5 to 7 minutes. Whisk in the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl and serve with soft or hard pretzels.

That's the mixing recipe ^^^

When I did this I doubled the recipe. Once the mixture is all melted I then put it on the pellet grill uncovered @225 for 1-1/2 hours. If you are only making the recipe above then you probably will want to cut the cook time in half. You can stir occasionally mid-way to make sure it isn't sticking bad to the bottom but a nice crust over the top is what I went for. Served well with warm pretzel rolls and/or warm baguette's.

Last edited: