Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Hogs

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's a topic that comes up sporadically, so here's a thread with proof. Post 'em up if you've seen others. Lots of comments on this FB post about other kills made during the gun season.

Screenshot_20211206-105235_Facebook.jpg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
A good friend from h.s. was high up in the forestry division for zaleski and surrounding areas. He has seen them but said he couldn't guide me to them with any reliability or even to hunt them himself. They cover A LOT of ground and much of it was private.

They are here to stay.

Reactions: Chancegriffis

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
We have a family member (wife's side) that owns property well within that county. During every family reunion, he tells me about the increasing numbers of them each year down there. I told him that I would be happy to come down and hunt them but, he told me that his property isn't very large and I'd need a 4x4 to get to it. So, it has not happened yet but, I haven't given up on the idea. Once I get another newer pickup, which will be a 4x4, or get my older one back on-line again, I will pursue it more seriously. I do love hunting hogs, and it's the only kind of pork my wife can eat.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
We had some in VC when I hunted down there but like hedgelj said they were very nomadic and covered large areas, never staying in one place for more than a night. I don't think they have a pattern to their roaming, I think they literally just roam around as a group and go wherever.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
As I have been a huge hog hunter from Florida I will 100 percent be doing some research on this and start hunting then hopefully within the next season!!

I'll tell you the same thing I always say in these threads. You can load up your trailer, drive to Fl, shoot a trailer full of them and drive back before you'll cut your first hog track in Ohio. I'd even go so far as to say you would be eating sausage back from the butcher before you located them in Ohio. They're out there but not in good numbers and they roam huge swaths of land, like the whole county huge. Think about it this way. It's like me asking you to help me locate a deer I wounded in Vinton county, but not telling you where I was hunting.

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
We had some in VC when I hunted down there but like hedgelj said they were very nomadic and covered large areas, never staying in one place for more than a night. I don't think they have a pattern to their roaming, I think they literally just roam around as a group and go wherever.
That’s what they do. They eat, sleep, breed and roam. That’s how they work. I need to go see what it’s like first hand and go from there

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I asked the wife to get with the family member and see about sending some of the photographs that he has shared with me during our family reunions. I'm not positive nor do I recall at the moment with certainty, but I believe most of them were TC captures that are on his property, and they were big too.

Anyhow, as soon as I get a couple of those photographs, I'll post them here.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I’ve only seen their sign once…ground was all rooted up and a couple wallows in the mud. This was at Turkey Ridge state game land in Vinton county near lake hope about ten years ago. This past week while baiting the day before the Ohio gun opener, I saw my first, a lone hog (it was a large one) running down hill through a thick overgrown field. I was on the way out driving on a bumpy, muddy road while talking to the wife on the phone (hands free) and when I saw it, I only saw it for a few seconds as it was really hauling ass. Still haven’t gotten any trailcam pics and I hope I never do…I don’t want them bastards eating up all of the golden acorns.

Bigcountry40

didnt a too members dad or relative kill a few pigs as they ran by in Athens county a few years ago, it was really random? Bet we could find the thread

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
I'll tell you the same thing I always say in these threads. You can load up your trailer, drive to Fl, shoot a trailer full of them and drive back before you'll cut your first hog track in Ohio. I'd even go so far as to say you would be eating sausage back from the butcher before you located them in Ohio. They're out there but not in good numbers and they roam huge swaths of land, like the whole county huge. Think about it this way. It's like me asking you to help me locate a deer I wounded in Vinton county, but not telling you where I was hunting.

Jamie

Ohio
I’ve got news for you, if there a feral hogs over 400lbs roaming around then there are also plenty of generations of babies as well
That is a very large hog, but I'm a little skeptical about that being a 400 pounder. still, I imagine the yotes have no trouble scarfing down piglets as fast as they hit the ground.

Reactions: Chancegriffis

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
That is a very large hog, but I'm a little skeptical about that being a 400 pounder. still, I imagine the yotes have no trouble scarfing down piglets as fast as they hit the ground.
Oh yes I completely agree. Don’t think the one that was shot in the picture is anywhere near 400…. What I was getting at is if the sows are living longer than a couple years then there are generations of pigs living down there. Once they’re here, there’s nothing yotes, humans or anything else can do about eradicating them.