Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

No Till Food Plots - So Easy

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've been getting hammered with ads for crimpers lately. Whitetail Partners had a post on IG about crimpers and the one they are building now. I under the hard edges on the paddles are designed to snap the plant's spine, but it seems like a good roller would do just as well. Any opinion on whether the crimpers are truly worth the money?

Reactions: at1010

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've been getting hammered with ads for crimpers lately. Whitetail Partners had a post on IG about crimpers and the one they are building now. I under the hard edges on the paddles are designed to snap the plant's spine, but it seems like a good roller would do just as well. Any opinion on whether the crimpers are truly worth the money?
I’m not super knowledgeable on the crimpers, but I don’t think a heavy standard roller will do the job as well. Without the “blades” you’re not going to have sufficient breakage or cutting of the plants’ vascular tissue, and the plants aren’t going to die off. I think a roller will simply roll the vegetation over and it will pop back up soon thereafter. Obviously some plants are going to be more vulnerable than others but overall I think a crimper would be worthwhile if your goal is no-till, especially if you’re trying to avoid/reduce herbicide applications.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Do I have thoughts on crimpers.... HAHA yes...yes I do! @bowhunter1023

I don't think a roller will work unless you are open to using a roller with some herbicide. If you want total elimination of herbicide, a crimper is a better option. The concentrated surface area of the dull blades and often chevron pattern allows it to break the stem and circulatory system of the plant.

So a few benefits:
1. reduced herbicide use
2. constant thatch
3. Great for terminating rye in the "dough" stage or other monoculture covers.

Some issues
1. Multi cover crop species mature at different rates
2. crimpers only cover 5-8ft at a time
3. uneven termination (due to terrain or life cycle of the plant) - really only good at the "dough" stage of the plant.
4. Costly as hell
5. single-use item on-farm (meaning you can only use a crimper for crimping)

Personally for the cost - I like just bush hogging the crops off. Yes, some will grow still, but who cares? We get free photosynthesis occurring and deer will browse new shoots from re-growth. One negative of a bush hog is uneven thatch distribution but is it that big of a deal?

Now what I really am interested in and believe the only reason they are not sold more often is due to lack of sponsorships, are flail mowers. Rick Clark (a larger OMRI farmer of out of Indiana) wasn't having the best luck crimping due to the variety of covers he was using, so he started using flail mowers with much better success. I read a study from the USDA two days ago that showed after 3 weeks, flail mowing had the highest rate of termination compared to any other mode of mechanical termination, even against crops like hairy vetch - that is pretty damn cool! You also get damn near-perfect thatch distribution.

That is all for now!

Albert

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I love soil - I am always learning and I message and email PHDs at Ward Labs, within their respective focuses on a weekly basis to further understand the functionality - these guys/gals are so brilliant! This also allows me to answer customer questions to the very best of my ability with the most current available information.

To build soil or maybe maximize our soil's microbiome efficiency, is a better way to put it - we must follow sound processes. There is not a single mix on the planet that will "build soil" with one planting.

Now - if we are truly interested in maximizing our soils here are some of my suggestions:

1. Reduce chemical and mechanical disturbance (follow the 6 soil building principles) - this will help to increase our bacterial and eventually fungal-dominated systems.

2. Get a soil test completed - try to balance CA, K, MG saturations, and PH. Most of this can be done with lime! Be precise and try to eliminate as many variables as possible when soil testing (similar depth each time, similar locations, etc.) - I can do another post on this another day to further elaborate.

3. Diversify your plant mixes but do so strategically - mixes must be balanced. Some of these ideas of putting down insane amounts of grains or other N suckers are just asking for N tie-up in the future. Microbes need balance, too much N and we mine our OM. Too much Carbon and we don't have enough N to sustain a healthy microbe population.

4. CtoN ratios in your plants. Every plant is made up of Carbon and Nitrogen - the rate at which the breakdown, is directly related to this and the bacterial population in the soil. Regardless of the microbial populations in the soil, the rate at which higher CtoN plants breakdown will still be longer than lower CtoN crops. By having a balance here, we can set our systems up to cycle nutrients above and below ground.

5. Try to have multiple plant groups in a mix (diversity is important but again, strategic diversity). Legumes are awesome but having plants in a summer mix that also like N is great as well. N goes through a cycle and nitrate will leach out of the soil. The likelihood of total Nitrate capture is unlikely, but if we increase our ability to fix N and make N capture more efficient through our microbial underground community - we can keep the N in the system and again, cycle our nutrients efficiently reducing our needs for synthetics. This only works if we have a balanced system. As we further balance our system and bio-signaling from plant to microbes, we further increase our nitrogen and other nutrient efficiencies in the system. Furthermore, we increase our plant uptake of nutrients, reducing planting stress, and increasing the nutrient density of said plants.

6. Stick to a plan and implement it for multiple years, use soil testing ad observational analysis to tell you what/how things are working and bettering the structure and output of your soils. Consider soil test results as well as tissue sampling - if you are interested.

7. MANAGE BROWSE - I don't care how diverse our systems are, if we have 100% of the forage leaving the field, we are in trouble. Just like trying to have REGEN in an oak forest stand, if the deer eat all the oaks- we are in trouble.

Plant more food, shoot more deer or in many parts of the Midwest, do both.

Thanks for reading.

AT

at1010

*Supporting Member*
The importance of Soil Tests:

We had many people contact us with questions about soil testing, PH reading, etc. One of the most common questions that comes up is “I tested my PH, it’s good! However, my crop hasn’t been successful, why?"

Although charts like the above have been published and used all over the wildlife to garden industry, they are incomplete. These charts show how PH is correlated to nutrient uptake in the plant, this is great! However, this also assumes that all the adequate nutrients are available in the soil profile and in ample bio-available amounts. We know that there is variability even between soil tests and tissue tests, therefore relying only on PH tests, relative to nutrient uptake is a bit of a stretch and can mislead the grower.

This is why sound soil testing practices and consistencies can save you time, money, and heartache wondering why a crop failed. Soil labs, like our partner -WARD LABS, use the DTPA extraction method. This method shows what nutrients are available in the soil and in what quantities. This type of information allows us to fine-tune our amendment program, if we so choose.

We are a enormous fans of allowing biology to do the work for us at Vitalize Seed. We know that our highly diverse mixes are well formulated to take advantage of what is in the soil, and cycle these nutrients from deep into the soil profile to the plant and back!

However, we also recognize that many folks are just starting and the ground they have is far from the prime agricultural ground. This is where it can be tremendously helpful to soil sample, amend to get your PH and Base Saturations in the correct range, and even consider foliar feeding certain missing nutrients – if needed. This will help to jump-start your program!

This type of effort and using well-balanced highly diverse seed mixes like Vitalize Seed, will allow you to cycle nutreints and creqate a system that relies on biology vs. inputs.

This is the tip of the iceberg as to why soil sampling is so critical to a growers success.

checkout soil tests from WARD LABS on our website- full micros, macros,base sats, and more:

soil test chart.jpg

Reactions: Stressless

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Fantastic read!! Always good to learn from the row crop farmers!! Interesting to see some of the quantifiable data provided in this article, relating to nutrient release from worms to fungal networks breaking down residue.

Nutrient cycling works folks!! Just need to balance the system!!!

Reactions: jagermeister

at1010

*Supporting Member*
“We are learning together!” Vitalize Seed is proud to be working together with MSU Deer Lab for evaluation purposes. Dr. Bronson Strickland & Graduate Research Assistant Luke Resop already have the Spring mix in the ground 🌱

E6B9EA26-5AC7-413C-80A0-951FA6CBB1A3.jpeg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Is nutrient density impacting the whitetail's plant selection?

It is not uncommon for habitat managers to list their favorite food plot species, only to have the next manager say, “my deer won’t eat that!” – this can make for some interesting debates around the campfire! After years of wondering “why?” I have finally come to a hypothesis, and that is…...it all starts with the SOIL!

There are incredible studies that show the deer’s ability to selectively browse the highest nutrient-dense plants (over a day to balance their rumen) is powerful and specific. So why is it that turnips or other brassicas, for example, are so highly selected in some areas and not in others? I believe it lies in what is assimilated by the plant!

contd:

62880923367__F32EEF28-1253-424D-BAB8-DAA34E2B8F25.jpg

IMG_5955.jpg

IMG_6090.jpg

Reactions: bowhunter1023

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Often with brassica plantings, we have been told to feed these with NITROGEN. If planting brassicas “till in urea”, if they look yellow “give them a shot of N”, and the advice goes on! Oftentimes, this advice can grow some impressive fields, but are the plants nutrient-dense?

Overfertilization has been shown to reduce a plant's ability to communicate with the soil’s microbiome, not to mention much is simply leached or volatilized - wasting money! A similar analogy would be giving steroids to someone, sure they can get enormous muscles but if not done for medical purposes or correctly, there will be consequences and the “gains” won’t be sustainable. Soil is no different!

When we reduce our soil and plant dependence on synthetic fertilizers, we increase our plant’s ability to communicate with the soil's bacterial and fungal populations, increasing their nutrient density and pest resistance. We will also increase our microbial populations, which will lend itself to better nutrient cycling in the future!

This is of critical importance, as our plants now can assimilate more nutrients, in less stressful forms, and easily convert these nutrients to plant proteins FAR more efficiently. By doing this, and optimizing our soils and the plant's synergistic relationships – we will increase the nutrient densities of our plants (this can be shown in Brix readings or full tissue analysis).

Reactions: bowhunter1023

at1010

*Supporting Member*
contd:

As we increase our soil health through the diversity of cover crop mixes, such as the Vitalize Seed system – we can reduce our reliance on fertilizers. We can cycle nutrients to feed the next crop and grow healthier plants. The whitetail is not necessarily drawn to the type of crop, but more so the soil from which it is derived - diversity is king!

On my farm, I have folks a couple of miles away telling me they cannot get deer to eat brassicas. I am watching 10+ deer a night pile into a field to eat our highly diverse mixes, with brassicas included.

Good soil health practices lead to healthier plants which leads to heather wildlife.

Build Better Soil –
AT

at1010

*Supporting Member*
86B760C3-ECE3-441F-9ED4-4C8C0D36877A.png

I’ll be planting green next weekend!!

By having last years fall mix (carbon load) already established, it will make growing the spring (NitroBoost) very easy! Broadcast or drill will work just fine. The spring crop will help promote the microbial needs and help to cycle nutrients that the fall crop has been mining all fall and winter.

This allows us to keep the nutrients in our system in microbial and plant available forms - less stress to the plant = healthier plants and soil!!

All this nutrient cycling prepares us for next falls carbon load planting - keeping the nutrient where we want them - in our plants to feed our wildlife and soil!! Symbiosis.

Be safe and enjoy the outdoors.

AT

at1010

*Supporting Member*
CC8FF4E1-FA64-4262-9D67-D3FA559A851A.jpeg

Never stop testing!

I recently pulled this soil sample in an area that I plan to put a large garden. So do you think this is the soil from where the garden will go? Answer: no.

This is actually soil from a nearby tree line - that has not been disturbed in 30+ years. This is my control for this area. I will then pull my garden samples and continue to soil sample over the years - to maintain my nutrient management system.

We simply cannot know what has or has not been done to a soil before we took over. By pulling a sample from a nearby undisturbed area we can get somewhat of an idea on the natural conditions of the soil and how we can work to regenerate to that point or better it. Be it a garden foodplot or farm field - this is worth considering.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Soil Health Friday – Why do I think tillage has its place?

Over the years “soil health” has been thrown around and can be undeniably polarizing. There is a massive movement from the garden to agriculture space that often divides those who are no-till vs. those who till. In the food plot space, it may be even more polarizing as many squeeze their finances to afford a no-till drill and steel roller-crimper for a part-time hobby.

Now, before we think this is going to be an article that is all pro-tillage, I hate to disappoint you, but it won’t. I also will highlight my hypocrisy, as I am the gardener and food plotter who has dreamed of the day of owning a no-till drill and has preached about no-till for years.

What I have learned is there is a continuum in the soil health, farming, gardening, and food plotting industry that everyone falls on, and to impact soil health - we need to appeal to the masses and just get folks started.

I want this article to be focused on inclusion and the importance thereof. The goal of find a way to support all people in the pursuit of better soil conservation and soil health. To achieve greater inclusion, I think we must start by identifying the ideal system (at least based on what we know today).

The ideal system would maximize the six soil health principles. (noble research institute cited below). A no-till drill to reduce disturbance, keeping thatch on the ground, using diverse cover crop mixes (Vitalizeseed.com), etc. will help to maximize these efforts.

The six soil health principles are:
  1. Know Your Context
  2. Cover the Soil
  3. Minimize Soil Disturbance
  4. Increase Diversity
  5. Maintain Continuous Living Plants/Roots
  6. Integrate Livestock

So, let’s talk tillage. What if a guy will not be interested in soil health if he can't disc or till? Do we just give up on that cohort? Or can we work together to explain the damage of tillage, chemical fallowing, etc., and possibly get them to consider a form of conservation tillage? I will take the latter and find a plan that works for that grower's context.

Conservation tillage is light tillage that leaves 30% or greater thatch on the top of the surface of the field. Some might think of vertical tillage as a popular means of conservation tillage, for example.

My theory is that if we can be inclusive and teach all about the principles of soil health and just get someone started, we can fine-tune the processes and work towards idealism later.

To be clear, we know that tillage causes damage to fungal networks, and soil aggregates, and pumps oxygen into the system which overstimulates our microbes and can facilitate oxidation reactions that tie up our nutrients. A heavy tillage system, without cover crops and huge reliance on inputs is destined for degradation of the soil profile. Similarly, no-till without diverse cover crop mixes, crop rotations, etc. will plateau in its benefits. This brings us back to the 6 soil health principles, the more of these we involve in our system the faster our soil's potential is realized.

At Vitalize Seed we want everyone to feel more educated and confident in implementing a soil health plan that works for the growers’ goals on their slice of heaven. Each year working towards fewer synthetic inputs, less disturbance, more diversity, and better healthier soils.

We have years of experience in testing our mixes in no-till methods, and we know that we can reduce to eliminate the need for synthetic inputs by taking advantage of biology and nutrient cycling in our wildlife pastures and gardens, using VitalizeSeed diverse, well-balanced mixes.

We hope you will give building soil a try! Enjoy the journey and build better soils!

AT

cabron load.jpg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
This is carbon load from last year. As you see we have a mix of legumes, grains and brassicas. We planted our NitroBoost green into this field and terminated with herbicide due to crop growth stage (late spring here in Ohio and crimping wasn’t an option)

This will breakdown and keep ground covered, feed our soils microbes and feed NitroBoost as it prepares the ground for fall planting of Carbon Load! Further reducing our reliance on needs for inputs!
52C2FADA-EE3C-45C5-BDA2-9BECA411331E.jpeg
D90FC0B2-3B49-41A7-A18C-2DC469C8004D.jpeg
1E1232DF-3BDE-4508-950E-9F69A8F27393.jpeg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Soil Health Friday – Nitrogen (mining vs. fixing)

At Vitalize Seed, we often preach about nutrient cycling. As we go down this rabbit hole, it is very easy for folks to assume that if N fixing is a good thing; more must be better! This is where we can get into trouble.

Nitrogen fixation occurs through legumes and the bacteria (rhizobacteria) in the soil that colonize roots and fixes atmospheric N. Note: there has been science that shows it can also occur in highly functioning microbial systems, with the increase in microbe populations and the response to diverse plant species within the microbiome, outside of solely legumes. I digress. The importance behind nitrogen fixation is often discussed and, one could argue, often over-simplified.

The part that is left out is the rest of the nitrogen cycle. Nitrogen will naturally cycle from gas (N2) or NH4 (ammonium – often from decomposition/nitrification) and will eventually making its way to nitrate (N03). Again, there is science that shows plants can assimilate both ammonium and nitrate but for this article, let’s just assume nitrate assimilation is the main topic.

Nitrate is the most leachable form of nitrogen and, depending on your growers’ practices and soil structure, you can easily lose some of the nitrogen your plants and ecosystem worked so hard to convert! This is one of the reasons why a monoculture of legumes is not a benefit to the system as a whole. Nitrate leachability is a major issue, from environmental pollution to pulling Ca off the soil colloid, which can further change our soil structure.

This brings us to the importance of nitrogen mining. Nitrogen mining can occur through various crops that “like” nitrogen. For simplicity, let’s look at radish. Radish has been shown to scavenge a lot of nitrates from the soil profile and convert this nitrate into organic forms that can then be released and re-used during the next planting cycle as the radish decomposes. I have read about ranges from 70 to 200 lbs per acre of N scavenging!

Some research papers refer to this as nitrate recycling, which I think is great! It helps to visualize the importance of having diverse crops in our system that assimilate various nutrients, convert them, and again make them available for the subsequent plantings. This is the idea behind nutrient cycling (specifically N but we can cover others in another write-up)!

We can reduce our dependence on synthetics as we increase our input of nitrogen through N fixation. This is all occurring via the microbes and recycling any additional nitrogen through scavenging and recycling!

So now that we have a general understanding of the nitrogen cycle, this allows us to have a better understanding of why balanced carbon to nitrogen mixes are so important! If we have too much N in the system, our microbes will look for carbon and can literally “mine” our organic matter out of our systems if we don’t have another adequate carbon source. If we have too much carbon in the system and not enough N, we can have N tie-up, which results in major grower frustration and can often lead to turning the soil or spraying N to help expedite the thatch breakdown.

With the Vitalize Seed Mixes, we can continue to fix N and cycle it through our balanced system. We are further able to sequester other nutrients in the soil profile through the feeding of microbes and fungi which results in more complex nutrient cycling.

As we plant our spring and summer mixes, we prepare our soil for fall and our fall mix prepares our soil for spring! Each subsequent year, the planting becomes more and more efficient as our nutrient cycling is enhanced through stronger microbial and fungal populations.

Build Better Soil!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Soil Health Friday – Tissue Sampling

I took tissue samples of Carbon Load in a 3x3 square in a HEAVILY browsed plot (planted last fall, taken this spring). The timing for sampling was not ideal for getting nutrient readings, specifically nitrogen. A few reasons for this:
  1. It was early in May and many of the crops were still fairly young in their growth, and not yet at seed head stage.
  2. This field is small and the browse pressure was very heavy. This can set back the grains (from a tissue sampling perspective, they were still growing – which is a plus for soil!).
  3. We had several large rain events, that will push nitrate (noticed on the soil test) deeper into the soil profile. If the previous crop is unknown, Ward Labs assumes 25lbs/ac of nitrate in soil profile below the 6inch mark. However, in no-till, heavy legume and balance systems, like Vitalize Seed, we can see this number become far larger. Assuming the most conservative of numbers, we have 30lbs of nitrate readily available, even on this small plot. With our legumes in this mix, this number is likely higher. Our crops in the Nitro boost will also mine nutrients deep in the soil, and further drive the nutrient cycling.
We still want to keep in mind that we also have 2.6% OM (which will mineralize and provide nutrients to plants) and of course, our tissue sample is showing additional 15lbs per acre that will be broken down and available for plant uptake. I am confident that, had I taken this sample in a larger field where the rye was more headed out, the N reading would have been higher per acre for tissue sampling, and my nitrate value would be greater in a 12-24inch depth. I am satisfied with the results and, as they are, I will not fertilize this plot again this year (more to explain why below). I also am not solely focused on N assimilation since, as we have discussed, there are various other benefits (discussed in other blogs) to highly diverse systems and how they benefit the microbiome to plants to animals consuming such plants.

What is most impressive is when we look at the phosphorus and potassium that are being taken up by the plant. Due to the fungal networks in the soil in a highly diverse, no-till system, we can make much of this more bio-available than what shows on a typical soil test. You will notice the discrepancies between the soil test fertilizer recommendations, and plant decaying nutrients back into the soil profile.

Soil sample recommendations are very useful, but they don’t take into account above-ground biomass or even OM mineralization. There isn’t a real way to tell how functional a system is without a full in-field audit or a combination of soil health assessment tests, knowing the growers’ practices, etc. We know that with the Vitalize One-Two system, we can optimize our nutrient cycling and by doing so, we can allow our subsequent plantings to benefit from the last.

Another item I must highlight is that this is JUST a tissue analysis. This does not figure in the root biomass, organic matter mineralization, or additional N-P-K fixing inputs from our Nitro-Boost that was planted into this soil (on this same day). The Nitro-Boost has both legumes and non, so we can not only take advantage of massive N-fixation but also mine our nitrate from deeper in the soil profile, as discussed above.

Let’s take a further dive into phosphorus. According to the soil test recommendations we need 50lbs of P to achieve a top yield goal of a cover crop mix. In the past, we would take this number and go buy P. By cycling nutrients using Carbon Load in the fall and Nitro-boost in the spring, we can see our results and fertilizer needs or non-needs.

According to the soil test, we have 19lbs of Phosphorus available. Now take a look at the tissue testing (much of which will break down quickly due to our high microbial systems), we have an additional 6lbs. OM mineralization will give us another 2lbs per % - adding up to 5.2lbs. This gives us over 30+lbs of phosphorus available! This doesn’t count any of the root biomass (huge amount of nutrients there) in the calculations of the terminated fall crop. Furthermore, if we use the same method with K, we will see in the tissue sample alone, that we have assimilated almost enough K for the next crop!

The reason this is important is that we are continuing to record and research how our mixes are impacting biology to interreact with the macro/micronutrients within the soil. Over-fertilization can lead to less productive microbes and the breakdown of stable organic matter. Over tillage can lead to the destruction of fungal networks - these networks help to break down these higher C: N, lignin-filled plants and are crucial to nutrient cycling. They also help to release enzymes that further drive the nutrient uptake of plant-available NPK.

We are not anti-fertilization but we are HUGE advocates for research so we know exactly what needs to be put down, when, why, and in what amounts. This helps to reduce the grower’s reliance on fertilization as well as enhance our microbial communications with the plant communities.

In conclusion – this is about the worst-case scenario I could highlight on my farm: the plots were still fairly immature, tremendous amounts of rain had occurred recently, it’s been a cold spring, and the plot size is about ¼ of an acre. On top of all that, this is in a high deer density area, further reducing my above-ground biomass, relative to my other larger fields with inherently higher OM, above-ground biomass, etc.

This field was a good one to show as it is more representative of what many folks are planting and dealing with. By quantifying what we can achieve and build from over time through the Vitalize Seed One-Two System, I am extremely satisfied with the results!

I hope you find this useful. I promise to never stop researching, learning, and sharing information about the robust world of soil health.

Thank you for considering Vitalize Seed as your seed source.

Albert

tissue sample 1.png
fert recomendations .png
soil samples taken 3x3.png

Last edited: