Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Night time saugeyes

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
20180312_225811.jpg
20180312_215057.jpg

Couldn't find the pike pics, but heres the 8 saugeye we brought home last January. We released probably 15 that we snagged that night. The smallest was 25" and the largest was 30.5". We get lots of big crappie too. Such a unique spot to fish

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
You mainly fish it at night in January?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. Anytime in the spring really. The water will be low forever. Then whenever we get lots of rain, they'll release lots of water theough there. Give it a day or so and it fills up with eyes and crappie and everything else. As soon as they shut the water off, its a massacre down there for a day or two

Reactions: Lucky

Lucky

Sunbury
Ever pull any northerns out of the spillway? I live in van wert and hear of guys doing it but never tried myself

No notherns, lota musky though. Over the years ive got musky that guys try and try for. . ill hit into a fish in spillway in spring and be let down when i see a 40 plus inch musky on there. Goten many that had to be damm close to 50 in. There slimy and stink. Make for a good pic is all. Never got notherns in ohio mysyself. In Alaska got quite a few in a glacer lake that was full of them and lake trout. Northern were damm good, very mild white flaky . just had to get "Y" bone out of them. Got out for an hour after work and got one tonight. Wind was blowing hard up on to rocks, so sure could have done good if i could have stayed. Alum is rising real fast with the last rains. Any one thinking about trying to hit them on jerkbaits, and has the time. You should. Once you get one ....your hooked . heres little one from tonight.

Reactions: OO2

Lucky

Sunbury
forgot to post this good shit.... Been remoldling an house rite on hoover in lake of the woods, any one who knows hoover knows that every house in there is at least a million . the back yard is rite on the water. Well me...first thought is arrowheads, not many people can easily get to this area. First day got there and guys were late. So looked for about 25 mins. Found a sweet broken brown chert archaic piece. Next day we worked was new years and boss and guys werent showing up till 10 in morn. I got there around 830 and after not findind shit on way back to house found this black archaic. Not shure if its a basil notched piece or what. But tip is reworked. Super fine work on it. Really liking this new job. Completly gutting house so ill b there awhile
20200101_125315.jpg
20200101_125255.jpg
20200101_125248.jpg
20191231_170838.jpg
IMG_20191231_160150_01.jpg
20191231_103421.jpg
IMG_20191231_094452_01.jpg

Lucky

Sunbury
That pic is looking out living room. The doc has it made. Going to hit the dam at hoover after work and will post on it TOO. Hoover used to b THE saugeye/ walleye lake. But yrs ago the put 1000 fry per acre instead of 100 fingerlings per acre, and with the white bass and crappie. Shit got whiped out b4 they grew. Well few yrs ago the started putting a double stocking of fingerlings.....wich is around 8500000 thousand almost 9 hundred thou in to get the lake back to where it was. PLUS......they started putting walleye back in for the first time since the 70s i believe. So for at least 2. If not 3. Theve double stocked, normaly that lake is 4500000 thou. The great news is my buddy knows a guy at the odnr and last month or around there , they did a shocking test and were getting shit tons of 15 to 18 inch fish. So that means next year and then after theyll b shit tons of 18 to 21s . It will b the premier eye lake. Sorry for my rambling... Dont drink like i used to and finished a bottle of jack off with my brother earlier. Went fishing together... I got first of 2020. He got skunked. Lifes good until i have to goto work in morn😁 ill post next time i get out and for sure wont b so long winded. But any saugeye fisher should enjoy my ramblings

Reactions: lung buster

Lucky

Sunbury
Yep. We pulled a couple last spring. Mine was 24" and my buddy's was 32". Seen a guy pull a monster out of there the same day
You guys must b talking about different body of water. Im talking about alum creek and theres no nothern in there ....but a shit load of big , slimy musky. Ive gottn lots under spillway. And plenty , on main lake. Never target them. Ive heard there not easy to catch..... If you want one , go fish for bass or saugeye and you have a good chance of hooking some monsters

Lucky

Sunbury
More drunk rambling, but wanted to share this one TOO. My brother took hisboat out the other day. On alum. And was pretty much ice fishing of his boat. Find some fish in deep water then jig with vibes ir sweedish pimple tiped w minnow head and missed a fatty but got one and couple nice perch. Its about time the perch in alum start filling out. Have caught a couple here and there for yrs. But all small. Mite have to start targeting these. Theres a fishing site most know of. Ogf. Doesnt hold a candle to this site, but seen other people are getting some fat perch. If we get ice this year i know where there at. If not im content with jerkbaits and swim baits. Alrite. My drunken report is done ...im crashing will post next trip out. Im sure it wont b tom. Love this site ...thats why i share any info and always willing to show any one the techniques on these sauguyes. Any one who fishes them knows it aint easy to learn there ways. First year it was one outa 5\6 times that id get one. Now in the last prob 15 times out if been skunked 2 times. Most frustrating and most rewarding fish you can get. Good night and good fishing and hunting. Dam jack made chatter on ..sorry again for rambling. Ill look on here tom and prob wont remember .

Reactions: giles

Lucky

Sunbury
Thats a nice cooler Redhunter1012. You know the fun of the fish. Any time of year. I think your hitting a spillway i havnt hit in long time. I like just past the bridge away down from the dam.. Crazy fish in there if its the same. Has some prehistoric paddle fish that ive seen caught that paddle was close to 2 ft long. And monster carp. If thats spill way you hit. Im wanting to head to indian ....moundwood to throw jerkbaits. If the ice stays off. Heard great things but only ice fish the lake. Pretty sure ive read about you and flicker shad tearing up that lake..

Lucky

Sunbury
Nice I’ll have to give it a try this year thanks

Send a message if your ever thinking about comming up for them...best bets are mid fall at night.and spring time after the spillway rages for a day or more...more the better. Once it comes down there can be thousands of BIG saugeyes. Ive goten plenty of ten lbs. When its on like that. Ill throw a bunch back until i walk out with my limit of 6 and most are 5lbs or better. Youll snag alot more than u catch. Hooking a 8 lb eye in the tail is a work out on your reel. But you get plenty of legals too. Ill always post on here where and on what im catching to share with my TOO brothers. I love getting people into this fish. No othere fish like it. Most rewarding and best tasting.

Lucky

Sunbury
Its a blast. Its very hit or miss. Usually short windows of active feeding. Sometimes the guy next to you has same setup but his lure has a slightly different tune as far as buoyancy and thts the difference in him geting six fish in 30 minutes and you getting nothing in three hours
Last thing......but so true , u need to get adhesive lead strips to tune your jerk baits. Belive or not. It makes a world of difference. Ive caught them when not tuned and they slowly rise to the surface... But ones that onced cranked down in the water. When u pause that lure should stay put and not rise or sink. If its tunned and it sits there on pause for a sec or two. To up to20 secs. Its when you go to twitch it or pull it a lillte thats when it happens. If your going to do it. Tune them so they suspend and dont move in water. Any one who has fished this way will tell you its one of the funnest most addicting fishing techniques there are. I could go on and on about this fishery. Next time im hammered drunk ill stay away from phone. But hope someone enjoys the tips or info

Lucky

Sunbury
Thats a nice cooler Redhunter1012. You know the fun of the fish. Any time of year. I think your hitting a spillway i havnt hit in long time. I like just past the bridge away down from the dam.. Crazy fish in there if its the same. Has some prehistoric paddle fish that ive seen caught that paddle was close to 2 ft long. And monster carp. If thats spill way you hit. Im wanting to head to indian ....moundwood to throw jerkbaits. If the ice stays off. Heard great things but only ice fish the lake. Pretty sure ive read about you and flicker shad tearing up that lake..
Deer creek?

OO2

In the Uplands
Nice! May have to give alum spillway a shot before I head back to school. Never had much luck there but it’s always been busy

Lucky

Sunbury
No. Its the spillway at Celina off of Grand Lake St. Mary's. They are hammering them all weekend. If I wasn't out hunting with my boy, I would have been there
Never fished that area, going to have to make a trip there sometime. Its nice having hoover only 20 mins and alum about 15 mins. Hoover is going to be the premiere saug lake if the double stockings and walleye all take. Havnt hit it but lots and lots of up and commers are easy to catch. Ill definatly be hammering hoover next year and after. Used to be my go to spillway for long time. Many years me and buddies would walk up hill with six fish each on stringer all over 5 .lbs. The year i got my first hoover spillway saug down there, there was a little old black lady down there with some guy. She sat in a chair throwing twister tails and she caught 2 BIG as saugs. They had them weighed at the dutchman bait shop close by. One was a little over 11 lbs and the big one .....the real big one was 13 something . .My brother and I and are couple die hard saugeye fishing buddies have gotten a decent amount of 10 lbers from both splillways. Shit tons of 7/8 s. Only from spillway. Never got them fishing the lakes like the ones below.. Spring time is for filling frezzer with saugeyes and moreles. Ill give away freely any info or tips to whoever on this site. Only this site. Fished about an hour last night on way home and got one keeper. Then hit it this morn b4 work for a little. Not much time and got there with daylight coming on and first cast hit another one same size as last nights. Should left rite then. Fished bout 30 mins and nothing