Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New store/range coming to Athens?

Creamer

Athens
Have any of you folks heard any rumblings about an outdoors store/archery range coming to Athens? My father in law is an archery wizard (shoots trad bows and compounds both right and left handed), and he called me last night and said someone mentioned to him a new store with indoor range coming in March or April. He was told it was going to be sort of on the Albany side of Athens not far from All Power Equipment. If so, this could be both good and dangerous for the same reason: very close to home.

For eye candy, here's a video clip I shot for my father in law a few years back, Lumenok in fading light, compound at 100 yards.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I haven't heard that, but did hear Parkersburg (across river from Belpre/Marietta) could be getting a Cabelas in the old Sears. Since we just got a new bow shop and indoor range in Belpre, a Cabelas would be icing on the cake from those of us in Washington County!

Creamer

Athens
I haven't heard that, but did hear Parkersburg (across river from Belpre/Marietta) could be getting a Cabelas in the old Sears. Since we just got a new bow shop and indoor range in Belpre, a Cabelas would be icing on the cake from those of us in Washington County!

Where is the Belpre range?

Creamer

Athens
It's going in where Bob's pick pack use to be. If you ever went to hendershots archery the same guy that did the bow work in there is running this new one.

Sounds like the same info I heard. Same location, anyway. Spring opening?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Reactions: Creamer

Big Weff

Athens
What ever became of that sporting goods store that was just off of rt33 near Athens that closed down last year?
The Ohio valley trade and exchange was on 13 and the owner ran it right into the dirt. Just said fuck it and up and left one night as I understand it. Didn't even tell the employees what was going on.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Creamer

Athens
The Ohio valley trade and exchange was on 13 and the owner ran it right into the dirt. Just said fuck it and up and left one night as I understand it. Didn't even tell the employees what was going on.

It's still closed as far as I know. Last time I went through Nelsonville, it looked like that branch of the Trading Post was reopened by someone but I din't have a chance to stop. There's also a new bow/gun shop area in Rocky Boot in Nelsonville now. I walked through it a few months ago when I was there to eat at the grill and they had a lot of merchandise. I recognized one of the guys working there as an old Athens Trading Post employee. Don't know the name I just recognized him.

Reactions: Sgt Fury
We stopped by there to see their progress the weekend before last. There were outdoor targets set up for several ranges on the backside of the parking lot up on the hill. Looked like a lot going on all over so definitely looking forward to seeing the place open and hopefully succeed. It's not far from the farm and we used to shop often there at Bob's for occasional groceries when we weren't heading all the way into Athens.

Creamer

Athens
We stopped by there to see their progress the weekend before last. There were outdoor targets set up for several ranges on the backside of the parking lot up on the hill. Looked like a lot going on all over so definitely looking forward to seeing the place open and hopefully succeed. It's not far from the farm and we used to shop often there at Bob's for occasional groceries when we weren't heading all the way into Athens.

I just drove by not long ago, also. When I was there I could see a lot of construction going on inside. Lots of new walls, studs only no drywall or anything, so that may have been before you swung by. The shop will literally be about a mile from me (as the crow flies) so I'm hopeful it does well.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Big Weff

Athens
I just drove by not long ago, also. When I was there I could see a lot of construction going on inside. Lots of new walls, studs only no drywall or anything, so that may have been before you swung by. The shop will literally be about a mile from me (as the crow flies) so I'm hopeful it does well.
I'm not as close as you but it's still only about 15 minutes from me and I would love to see it succeed. Be nice to have a decent option around the athens area.

Reactions: Creamer

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I met the fellas that are opening the place. They were nice guys. The one boy used to handle the archery stuff for Ohio valley in Athens, maybe some of you know him. The other guy is from North Carolina I think.