Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New (old) bow day

Creamer

Athens
I had been watching online for a few weeks for a decent deal on a vintage Bear Kodiak Magnum and finally pulled the trigger on this one. It's a 1968 Kodiak Mag, 45lbs@28".

She shows signs of age and use, was missing the Bear medallion, but was being sold as being in good working/shootable condition with no limb twist issues. That was my biggest hangup in purchasing a vintage bow without holding it and inspecting it in-hand first. I found several bows that looked to be ok, but when I asked about limb twist or even if the seller had strung the bow, the answers I was getting didn't inspire confidence on my end. I took a chance on this one, and so far, it seems like I came out ok. I ordered a new medallion and a string from 3 Rivers that came same day as the bow.

Shooting the bow, I have been impressed at the performance so far. It's quiet, smooth, and seems faster than I expected. I have an arrow test kit to build an arrow tuned for this bow, I just haven't had time to dive down the tune/build road yet. So far, I am just shooting my arrows from other bows of similar poundage and they are flying pretty well. It took me a while to get my shots down, I was consistently hitting high for the first 10-12 arrows. Doing pretty well now.

I'm hoping this will end up being a good deer bow for me. The short 52" length will be a lot more maneuverable in a ground blind or in a tree, and so far, I have seen no ill effects on shooting a shorter bow. Pretty cool to shoot something that's 12 years older than me and wonder where it's been, what it's shot, who has owned it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good deal
I am sure you will enjoy the bow
I was around 11 when that bow was built
And I was shooting bows at that time.
I could not afford a bear so my first hunting bow was a Ben Pearson.
Many rabbits fell to that bow, I gave it away last year to a 12 year old boy who wanted a recurve.
You a 59 model, Greg?

Creamer

Athens
We continue to get along pretty well. I've been wanting to dive into an arrow build specific for the bow, but the wind has been so nuts lately I have been putting it off. I don't want wind influencing what I'm seeing from my arrows while I play with length and point weight.

Creamer

Athens
I dove down the arrow tune tunnel last night. The shaft test kit I ordered from 3 Rivers had a 400, 340, and 300 spine arrows. According to the charts, with my draw length and bow weight, coupled with wanting to shoot a 200 grain head, I was on the fence between a 340 and a 300. For some reason, I expected the 340 to be the one (and I'd proceed to waste a few minutes with that shaft). I glued an insert into both, got out 200 grain field tips, and used my phone for slow motion video of the arrows being shot bare shaft.

The 340 was just a hair weak. Instead of shooting the 300, also, I took half an inch off the 340 and did a few more shots. Still weak, so I took another half inch off. Still weak after 3 more shots. So then I shot the 300, full length, same stock insert and 200 grain head. It flew like a damn dart. 3 more shots confirmed, leave it alone! It would have saved me a few minutes and been the easiest tune ever had I just shot the 300 from the get go. I put a wrap on that arrow and fletched it up, then laced several in a row right down the middle.

The whole process still was super easy and fast. Now, time to drop more coin and get a dozen arrows ready.