Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New NC record??

Chass

The Hills
Meh, could happen. But wasnt because of some minerals someone tossed out. Heck he even says he wasn't really around when the buck was growing antlers anyways. Hard to say if those are really the same deer other than both have funky headgear

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Ok first of all it is North Carolina not South Carolina, what is there not to buy?
Here is a link to the story where it was officially scored by a Buckmasters scorer. I have friends that know him and he is an avid hunter.
https://www.carolinasportsman.com/h...-peggs-31-point-buck-is-new-n-c-state-record/

Thanks. I updated the title.

Who scored it, or the fact that it was scored, doesn't make it legit as I'm not questioning if the deer physically exists. Nor does someone being an avid hunter add any validity. The skepticism comes from seemingly yearly accounts of bucks shot somewhere that turn out to be pen raised deer from an outfitter. Years ago a guy shot a monster with a trad bow here in Ohio right after gun season. Very close to a state record. He came on here to post his story, his wife even came here to talk about how proud she was of him. Guess what was found out a month later, yep pen-raised deer. Such instances have made me a huge skeptic and happen on a yearly basis. Especially when people claim a 2.5-year-old at 115 inches blew up to a 212 inch 3.5 year old. While possible, to me that says he is either very mistaken and that's not the same buck, or he's trying to add a backstory for validity. Sprinkle in the promotional product pimping from the go and it makes me cock my head in wonder. And it's not just big bucks. We were once fed a line of bull about a hog shot on WNF, turns out it was the double D ranch.

Bigcountry40

I hunted Greensboro a couple of times, thats west of Greensboro and red clay country, that part of the state isnt that thick but they cant use dogs in that part of the state either and gun season is shorter as well. Thats a big bodied deer especially for pine needle eating deer of North Central NC, Clay is there many cornfields there? I am under the assumption there is not

Floki

I’m concerned my afternoons start way to early. Should I consider after noon 7PM. Maybe I should?

Any how I have used that wright minerals it will take a spike buck in April and make its wrack so damn big it can’t even walk through the woods anymore .

Ya gots to make them there Wright’s deer pathways in yer woods. Use a Chevy truck a case of beer and a chainsaw. Be shooting 199 class buck in da afternoons all da time.

Reactions: triple_duece

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
I hunted Greensboro a couple of times, thats west of Greensboro and red clay country, that part of the state isnt that thick but they cant use dogs in that part of the state either and gun season is shorter as well. Thats a big bodied deer especially for pine needle eating deer of North Central NC, Clay is there many cornfields there? I am under the assumption there is not[/QUOTE

if he was hunting north of kville, there is lots of farms out that way, also not really pine needle part of the state, lots of oak trees and other hardwoods. I am not really sure where he killed the deer I will see if I can find out.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Talked to a buddy, killed in an oak forest in Guilford County, that county and the one above it are known for big deer because of the mineral rich soil

Semeone in that area should start bagging up acorns and selling them for $200 a pound if they can grow a buck from a 115 inch two year old to a 212 in one year. I bet these high fence operations would ditch the expensive genetics game and buy every bag.

Reactions: giles and Hedgelj

Jay/NC

Central NC
[/QUOTE]Who scored it, or the fact that it was scored, doesn't make it legit as I'm not questioning if the deer physically exists.....[/QUOTE]

I can understand people doubting if a big deer is completely legit because of all the “cheaters” that have been brought to light.

I was one of the 3 panel scorers for P&Y and B&C that measured this brute. I didn’t know the hunter nor his family before we met them to measure the rack but based on our conversations the deer is legit. Whether or not this is a 3.5yo deer will be put to rest when they hear back from the results on the tooth/jawbone they sent to Michigan for aging purposes. Who cares if the guy says the 115” buck in the trail cam pic is the same deer. Doesn’t really matter either way IMO.

Happy hunting!

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Hmm I usually stay away from shit like this but..... very seldom have I’ve seen a free range buck with any velvet on the antlers. HF deer usually have velvet dried that hasn’t been rubbed off. I could give two shits less either way, but my gut tells me it’s not a free range deer or one that got out. Just my 2 cents.