Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New from Spypoint in 2019

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Spypoint recently revealed a new cellular camera option that will be available this year, the Link MICRO. Smallest cell cam available and priced very reasonably at just $149.99 msrp. They are also reducing the data plan costs significantly. The unlimited plan price was dropped by 33%. And if you buy/own 5 cameras, the data plan for the 5th camera is FREE. I currently have 3 of the Link DARK's and 1 of the Link EVO's so I'm damn sure going to buy a Link MICRO. I've been very happy with these cameras so far. I don't know how long they'll last but the cellular feature is the cat's pajamas. It's hard to imagine running non-cellular cameras now lol.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Pretty cool technology. Good to hear you are enjoying them JB, I cannot get passed the quality issues and low life span of the ones bought thru the deal here a few years back. The $50 primos work horses have more than doubled the lifespan of the spypoints I had, but nothing has held a candle to the browning for value vs performance.

I'm not going to touch cellular for the reason you stated lol. In a way I wish I never would have started running any more than 1 camera. I have spent way too many hours over the last 7yrs chasing ghosts or only seeing them on hoof 1 or 2's😁

Let us know how the micro works out once you get it out in the field.

Great info thanks for sharing. I bought two evo cams last year. Put them out in August and the batteries still show 100% after thousands of photos. Only issue I have had was when the clock struck midnight and we went in to 2019, it quit sending photos. They sent out an update the same day which fixes the issue, and gave me three months of free pics for each camera. These are the best cameras I have ever owned hands down, and I have a lot of cams.

Reactions: 5Cent

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I totally understand Adam. That IR-6 I bought back in the early days of TOO was by far the shittiest trail camera I've ever owned. It really tarnished my opinion of Spypoint for a long time. I decided to give these a try anyway and so far I am glad that I did. Like @Bigbuckslayer said, their recent issue with Verizon was resolved incredibly fast and they handed out free 3-month unlimited data plans, with no expiration mind you, in order to make it right by their customers. Hell, I had 3 cams with dead batteries sitting on a shelf not being used, and I still got the free data for every camera. That outage never even affected me and I still got it. I'm getting long winded... But the bottom line is I think today's Spypoint is not the same as the Spypoint back then.

And I also understand how cams can get you "hung up" on a particular deer and potentially hurt you more than help you. But these cellular cams are a game changer. Being able to get reconnaissance for deer, any deer, without having to physically step foot on the property is incredibly valuable.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks for the heads up Jim. Having sworn off cameras that told me where I should have been, it’s been several years since I’ve used anything like this. This season however was a game changer for me. I missed the all important seeking phase by a week and really wish I had known in real time when it was starting. May have to look into these before next season

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
That is a great price for a cell camera. I just saw too that Moultrie has a new one coming out this year at $179. Seems like they are all dropping in price. Never had a spypoint, but never bought one after reading about all of the problems from the ones everyone here bought.

Cell cameras are invaluable for me, especially being so busy with work and kids in sports. So great to know what is moving where.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I have had one Spypoint cam. It was supposed to send pics to a remote box hidden withing 100 feet. I thought this would be great for security. It worked great.....for 1 day. Then the batteries would go dead in the remote box. The cam itself took grainy pics and lasted maybe 2 years. I will follow along and wait for reviews before considering this brand again.