Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New Bow Purchase (picking your brains)

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Best New Compound Bows from the 2019 ATA Show
Here are the year’s top new flagship vertical bows, fresh from the archery industry’s big event
BY SCOTT BESTUL JANUARY 11, 2019​

There’s lots to gawk at on the floor of the Archery Trade Association (ATA) show, but at or near the very top of the list for any hardcore bowhunter are the new flagship compounds. Which is why I headed straight for the shooting lanes as soon as the show opened. So far, I’ve been impressed. Speeds are hovering in the 330 to 350 IBO range, yet most of the bows have been pleasant to shoot. Here’s a rundown of the top-end new vertical-bow models for 2019 (in no particular order), including the coolest new features and my first impressions of shooting performance. We will be adding to this gallery as the show progresses.

Elite Ritual 30

Elite Ritual 30
Elite
Specs: 30-½-inch axle-to-axle, 6-¾-inch brace height, 4.1 lb., 332 fps IBO
The Lowdown: The Ritual 30 is a shorter version of the 33-inch axle-to-axle Ritual from 2018, and designed for hunters who want Elite performance in a shorter, more maneuverable bow. The riser does feature some cut-outs and redesigns that weren’t present last year, and the Ritual 30 is very slightly slower (3 fps) but lighter (.2 pounds) than last year’s longer version.
First Look: The Ritual also comes in a new 35-inch axle-to-axle version, which I liked very much, but I’m concentrating on the 30 here, because it was a pleasant surprise. I tend to dislike shorter bows. Because I have long arms, a long or mid-length bow tends to fit me better. So I was prepared to dislike the shorter Ritual. But I actually loved this bow. It’s got Elite’s smooth draw and solid back wall, and it pointed great for me. Bows at the ATA shooting lanes never come with sights, so you just eyeball the bullseye and hope your arrows come somewhat close. I chunked three arrows in 1-inch group with just instinctive shooting, and never did the same with any other bow at the show. There’s nothing particularly fancy or wildly innovative about the Ritual 30, but it really seems to be a shooter. $1,049; elitearchery.com

Hoyt RX3

Hoyt RX3
Hoyt
Specs: 30-½-inch axle-to-axle, 6-inch brace height, 3.9 lb., 342 fps IBO
The Lowdown: Hoyt was the pioneer in carbon riser design and technology, but the RX3 proves they aren’t resting on any laurels. The riser is completely redesigned and features a new weight-forward balance designed to produce a steadier, reduced-vibration shot. The new ZT Cam ™ works in conjunction with a patent-pending split cable system to reduce torque and nock travel. Also new is a sight plate that allows more streamlined mounting of the sight to the riser, plus a new adjustable grip.
First Look: Several things work together to make this one of the nicer Hoyt’s I’ve shot in recent years; the carbon riser obviously makes this a lighter bow, yet it settles in immediately and balances very well. And while the RX3 is plenty zippy, the valley is totally manageable and the back wall solid enough that I didn’t feel like the bow wanted to jump out of my hand. I also liked the redesigned grip a lot. $1,699; hoyt.com

Mathews Vertix

Mathews Vertix
Mathews
Specs: 30-inch axle-axle, 6-inch brace height, 4.67 lb., 343 fps IBO
The Lowdown: Long a leader in smooth, quiet, and pleasant-drawing bows, Mathews continues that tradition with the Vertix. Powered by Mathews’ successful Crosscentric™ cam system, the Vertix also sports the new Switchweight™ technology, which allows shooters to change draw lengths, as well as peak draw weights (in five-pound increments), without changing cams. Mathews also incorporated its Engage™ grip for better balance and handling, as well as 3D Damping™ technology for reduced vibration and recoil.

First Look: I’ll admit to another personal quirk; while I’ve always enjoyed the smooth draw cycle that is the Mathews’ trademark, I always feel a little wobble somewhere in there that would bother me on a bow that doesn’t settle in right at full draw. And yeah, the Vertix has that wobble—but it does settle in, and beautifully. Of the bows I shot on Day One, the Vertix provided the absolute best overall shooting experience; it had a solid back wall and is remarkably dead in the hand at the shot. I was also impressed with the innovation in this bow; the Switchweight™ cams are an awesome idea, and the new Engage grip is the best Mathews has produced. $1,099; mathewsarcheryinc.com

Prime Logic CT3

Prime Logic CT3
Prime
Specs: 33-inch axle-axle, 6-inch brace height, 4.6 lb., 335 fps IBO
The Lowdown: The CT3 (and the 35-inch CT5) use Prime’s center-grip riser design from last year, but it’s integrated into a new riser design. And the new TRM™ parallel cam design allows limb- and cable-stop options that allow a shooter to customize the feel of the back wall. Also new this year are an integrated mounting system for Prime’s Sherpa™ quiver and several new camo and finish options.
First Look: Last year Prime took a hit in our annual bow test for a rougher-than-usual draw cycle, but the new CT3 feels like a different bow, with a pleasant draw that ends in the brick-solid back wall that’s a Prime trademark. The slimmed-down grip is another nice improvement and, at 15 fps faster than last year’s Logic, the CT3 looks like another high-performance, pleasant-shooting hunting bow from Prime. Honestly, it performs more like previous Prime models that have done so well in our test in the past, plus more speed. $999; g5prime.com

PSE Evoke

PSE Evoke
PSE Archery
Specs: 31 axle-axle, 6-inch brace height, 4.2 lb., 342 fps IBO
The Lowdown: The Evoke is PSE’s answer to upping the game on last year’s popular Evolve, which came whisker-close to winning our 2018 bow test. The Evoke’s three-track binary cams promise high performance and let-off adjustments from 65 to 90 percent, and the Wedge Lock™ limb pockets are designed for rigid support. The Evoke’s riser is also new, with bridges above and below the handle for increased stability. Finally, the all-new Flex Rod System (FRS) is designed to eliminate torque during the draw cycle, and works in conjunction with PSE’s new RollerGlide™ to deliver precise tuning and arrow clearance. The Evoke is also offered in a 35-inch axle-axle model for those who want a longer, more forgiving bow.
First Look: One of the first things I noticed about the Evoke is that is one good-looking bow. While I’m not a big stickler on fit-and-finish, PSE has always taken a minor hit in this category during our bow tests, and their new Kolorfusion finish should result in a jump for them in this category. PSE has also been known for their stiff draw cycles and stingy valley, but the Evoke I shot showed none of that, thanks to a cam that allows customized let-off of up to 90 percent. There was a slight tingle of hand shock on the shot, but not enough to dissuade my belief that this, along with last year’s Evolve, is one of PSE’s best-shooting bows ever. $999; pse-archery.com

Read more: https://www.fieldandstream.com/new-...rce=internal&utm_medium=email&cid=46792&mid=4

Reactions: Mike

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
340? Wow. I thought mine was 315-320 and anticipated 290-300fps hunting set up. Never ran thru chronograph as I didn't want to know how slow it really was. Lol

Wait- is yours 70# Tom?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
New to crossbow hunting and wanting moderate price range package and ran across the Killer Instinct Ripper 415...does anyone have any opinions/experience with this crossbow that would help me in my search?

Here is the link of retailer package... https://northwoodsoutlet.com/product/killer-instinct-ripper-415-crossbow-free-soft-case-in-stock/
That is a good price considering what those bows are selling for. We have a different model of Killer Instinct bow but we were very impressed with it. 415 fps and 149# of kinetic energy says it all. Really doubt you will be disapointed.

Reactions: 1hchadb2
Redhunter1012,
When it comes to archery equipment (bows), you have to physically put your hands on them, shoot them and then decide. The draw cycle, let off and how it feels in YOUR hand makes all the difference.
Last fall, I decided that I was going to purchase a new bow. I found a left over stock Obsession Fusion 7 that was priced right and took it home....after shooting it. I traveled to several pro shops, shot a lot of bows, talked to a lot of people and made my decision based on what I liked...and my liking was based on:
* The Draw Cycle - I didn't want something that was going to require constant weight lifting on my part to be strong enough to shoot it, at a reasonable draw weight.
* The Let Off - I don't like bows that drop off like something just broke and/or require me holding on to it for dear life.
* Shooting It - I didn't want the bow to be so sensitive to shooting (low brace height) that I'd have to be in Olympic form all the time. I didn't want the bow to feel like a baseball bat with a crack in it, either. Plus, being quiet would be a huge selling point.

My Obsession Fusion 7 is set at 55#, shoots a 340 gr. arrow and allows me to group 3 arrows in 2" at 50 yards with regular practice. Smooth, quiet, easy to draw, nice valley at full draw with 90% let off.

Get out there and put your hands on a few and good luck!!!
Bowhunter57

Isaacorps

Columbus
Redhunter1012,
When it comes to archery equipment (bows), you have to physically put your hands on them, shoot them and then decide. The draw cycle, let off and how it feels in YOUR hand makes all the difference.
Last fall, I decided that I was going to purchase a new bow. I found a left over stock Obsession Fusion 7 that was priced right and took it home....after shooting it. I traveled to several pro shops, shot a lot of bows, talked to a lot of people and made my decision based on what I liked...and my liking was based on:
* The Draw Cycle - I didn't want something that was going to require constant weight lifting on my part to be strong enough to shoot it, at a reasonable draw weight.
* The Let Off - I don't like bows that drop off like something just broke and/or require me holding on to it for dear life.
* Shooting It - I didn't want the bow to be so sensitive to shooting (low brace height) that I'd have to be in Olympic form all the time. I didn't want the bow to feel like a baseball bat with a crack in it, either. Plus, being quiet would be a huge selling point.

My Obsession Fusion 7 is set at 55#, shoots a 340 gr. arrow and allows me to group 3 arrows in 2" at 50 yards with regular practice. Smooth, quiet, easy to draw, nice valley at full draw with 90% let off.

Bowhunter57
Very descriptive and easy to understand, thanks for sharing 👍🏼

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Redhunter1012,

Bowhunter57
Headed to a few places tomorrow to do just that.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
After nearly buying the PSE Carbon stealth today, I ended up purchasing a 2019 Elite Ritual 30 for about $500 less. It's sweet as hell to draw and hold back. Only downfall compared to the Stealth was the aluminum will be colder and a bit heavier. But that $500 is what i still owe in taxidermy bills, haha. It's a 65lb bow, so Im trying to figure out which arrow to pair up with it.