Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Never quit...

huntn2

Hudson, OH
This season started like others in the past, with high hopes. Though, this year, compared to the past 2 seasons, I was actually running cameras over the summer on multiple properties. As summer neared its end, I had several bucks on different properties for which I would gladly take if presented an opportunity.

08130534.jpg
08160578.jpg08250833.jpg

As early season began, the deer sightings were frequent but they were often young, 1.5 year old bucks. I remained patient and selective on property/stands to be hunted. As November and some bowcation neared, I was excited. I went back to a later vacation of the 2nd week after chasing others activity/success of Halloween and early in the first week. In reality, my cameras and observations have yet to reveal and great activity early on.

Bowcation was once again, a disappointment by and large from a rut perspective. Only on one day did I have good action but it remained void of any mature bucks. That day produced a plethora of young bucks and included 2 coyote chasing deer everywhere.

IMG_4283.jpgIMG_4292.jpgIMG_4308.jpg

I pressed into gun season. I had a wide 8 that had vanished from cameras and sightings the week before bow season finally return. He was working into me at a moderate rate and I patiently awaited him to step out of a hedgerow at 50 yards or so mid-morning one day. Problem was, he opted to bed in the brush of the hedgerow within 50 yards for 3 hours with no ability to get a shot off. It became a battle of who could hold their bladder longer…I was growing more impatient as my lunch and a cup of coffee sounded so good. Finally, at about 2PM, he took to his feet and once again started easing his way towards me. It was then that some doe about 100 yards to my east caught his attention and he trotted away to check them out offering no shots. 2 doe bolt and come right underneath me. I am looking to see what he is going to do when I realize there was a 3rd doe he was still with. He proceeds to breed her about 125 yards away before heading back towards me. He is closing quickly and I see zero reason to rush a shot. He is coming straight in – 50, 40, 30, 20…..he is now in tight behind some thick brush. I cannot see him, I have the gun up and ready with the 2 doe still within 20 yards of my tree. I am bobbing a bit trying to find him in the brush and he must have picked me off. Game over. I had this buck within 50 yards for the better part of 5 hours with a slug gun in my hands and never got a shot off. I could only think of the words from a wise man, “all the fun and none of the mess…”.

As the year ended, I was relishing the opportunities to hunt in subzero temps knowing I would see good movement. I took in the last sunset of the year and opened 2018 with the first sunrise. With the temps as low as -11 without windchill, I was only hanging in the stand for 2:00-3:00 sits. Some fresh corn, snow and cold brought a ton of pictures. I had a new buck that I had never seen in person or on camera close to 50 yards one morning. He had a great right side and crazy left side. He and the wide 8 from gun season became regulars during daylight.

IMG_4626.jpgIMG_4627.jpg

huntn2

Hudson, OH
IMG_4633.jpg
Excitement for muzzleloader season was fueled by regular daylight pictures - morning, noon and evening. I threw out more golden acorns as the temperatures remained low. I quickly realized the deer were bedding tight to my stand and corn. After seeing 10 doe and 6 bucks, no shooters, Saturday evening, I decided to stay out of there Sunday morning and hit it again Sunday afternoon/evening. This time though, I was going to stay away from the stand and go with a ground assault. As I drove to the property that afternoon, I reflected how the only weapon I own that I can legally hunt deer with but haven’t taken one with is my muzzleloader. I wanted to change that and knew I had a good opportunity to do so given the pictures. That said, my last camera pull on Saturday revealed 2 bucks dropping antlers. One was the mature deer I nearly shot with my bow a few days earlier – he had dropped the crazy left side, and another buck had dropped both sides. The wide 8 was still carrying both sides and making regular appearances, including as close as coming in 2 hours after I would leave in the morning.

I decided to ease up through a stand of pines and setup about 85 yards to the west of my stand, across a golden rod field. The wind was 15 mph out of the south, so I felt comfortable that I would be ok with terrain and where I felt the deer were bedding around my stand. My game plan was to merely stand behind the best cluster of trees I could to obscure me from any deer cutting through the golden rod. I found a good spot and carefully broke off some of the brush and briars along the edge of the pines and golden rod so as to not worry about any deflections.

IMG_4687.jpgIMG_4690.jpg

I enjoyed the evening and paid attention to the time relative to when I had seen the parade of doe start filtering in the evening before. They were late…I just kept reminding myself, it only takes a few seconds. Suddenly I see a doe standup no more than 15-20 yards behind my stand. Then I see another doe and then a flash of antler through the brush. I throw the scope on it and it is the wide 8. He is coming to the golden rod. 5 more yards or so and he will be in the open. He clears the brush and is quartering to with his left side open to me. I think about squeezing it off but said don’t rush it, he will turn. With that, he turns 90 degrees to his left to head south towards those tasty golden acorns. As his right shoulder exposes itself I settle the crosshairs. I squeeze the trigger and the peaceful evening is disrupted with the crack of the muzzleloader going off. I do my best to peer around the smoke and see him mule kick and take off south. I hear and see him slam into a tree and then watch a puff of snow fly into the air as he disappears out of my line of sight.

I pull out my phone and call home to Nick. I tell him I just shot him and to head on out. I put another load in to be safe and made my way across to where the snow exploded into the air. There he lay. He didn’t go but 40 yards. I gave some thanks, sent some texts and took some pictures.

IMG_4696.jpgIMG_4697.jpgIMG_8228.jpg

He isn’t my biggest deer, but he is one I have more history with in terms of pictures than any other I have shot. He is my first with my muzzleloader and I’d shoot him again and again if given the opportunity. It has been another fun and safe season.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hell of a season buddy. Some of the days that you would text from the stand I would look outside and think that boys cheese done fell off his cracker. That's what it takes to get it done though and you got it done. Congrats!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great writeup Ryan. Enjoyed the photos along with reading how your season unfolded...Congratulations buddy!:smiley_clap: