Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need some opinions

Johnny44

I am used to hunting with my 30-06. I started hunting in Georgia where gun season is long and high powered rifles are legal. I also hunt PA. I am comfortable out to 250 yards shooting 150 grains. Obviously, I cannot hunt with it here in Ohio. I have 2 shotguns that I need to become more proficient with but I have a conundrum. I want to be able to reach out there, and I understand 250 may be a lofty goal. What, in your opinion is the best option for gun hunting Ohio and being able to take a poke if the opportunity presents itself? I know some of the modern muzzleloaders are pretty proficient, I am going to scope my one shotgun, and I have an itch to buy a lever action. Where does this leave me? I am not too familiar with straight walled cartridges.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I personally prefer an inline muzzy with a 45gr saboted pistol bullet. 200+ is not even a question with a BDC muzzy scope. Lots of people have jumped on the legal rifles with 450bm and the 350 legend being very popular. But to be honest you need to get a bow and practice some. The best hunting in Ohio is during archery season. Like you I grew up in the south hunting with a high power. After a few years bow hunting in Ohio I could care less about gun hunting. Gun seasons was just a time to fill the freezer then get back to bow hunting a buck.

Johnny44

I agree about the bow hunting. I already do that, I just need another excuse to purchase another gun! I have heard some people mention the 350 Legend. Brand recommendations?? I actually grew up in Central Ohio but never hunted, or shot a gun until I was 25 after I moved to Georgia. Made some great friends down there who got me into all sorts of trouble!!!!

If you go for a lever gun, I can vouch for the sweetness of the Marlin 1895 GBL in 45-70. I’ve never tried shooting 250 yards but I bet it could do it. I have a Leupold 3-9x40 (I think) scope and it’s pretty much a tack driver out to at least 150 yards. Haven’t tried much further than that yet. I know levers aren’t really designed to have scopes on them but it seems to work fine for me. The scope sits up higher than a bolt gun so I don’t cheek down on it far like normal. But I’m still plenty accurate with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny44

Does the 45-70 only come in 250 grains? I was messing with the Winchester Ballistics calc on their website. Keep 'em coming, gentlemen. Hard to beat that 350 Legend price. I just don't know what to do!!!!!!!!

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I picked up a 350 a few weeks ago. It is topped with the Vortex Crossfire II 3x9 scope. It will definitely reach out there. Shooting Hornady 170gr bullets it is sighted in at 100yds and would hold 14 inches high at 200yds. I don't have to worry much about that with the properties I hunt. Most shots are less than 100 yards.

NEOhunter

I purchased the Savage Axis XP 350 legend at Cabela's over the summer. $349 in price with a 3-9 scope and camo stock. I really like it so far. I am shooting the 150 grain Winchester XP deer hunter, or something like that. Sighted it in at 100 yards and am very happy with it. Took a doe with it just the other day at 55 yards and dropped her.

Like it so much I recommended it to my younger brother and my brother in law.

I have a cousin that has it and said he has taken deer out to 250 yards with it.

Reactions: Johnny44

Bowkills

Nw oh
I could see some longer range killer with the anything bigger than the .44mag(I have one...200 is two far, Itd kill but the bullet is dropping drastic by then). I played with the 450 bushmaster out to 225 yrds and its extremely accurate. these new rounds look like .223 groupings at 100 yrds but Nickle sized holes. Play with any of the bigger straight walled rounds enough they are all 200+ yrd guns.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Forget the shotgun at 250 or even 175.... Just not an ethical shot.... My 870 is dead on at 100 yds... But I'd never even shoot that as I restrict my self to under that hunt in thick shit.... As Jack said 200 is very doable with today's inlines.... I hunt Illinois with my CVA MR loaded with Barnes 250 grain bullets being pushed by 2 Triple Seven Magnums and if I do my part and a deer steps out at 200 yds he's in trouble....

Schu72

Streetsboro
Shot at 186(by laser range finder pre shot) off a bipod from a ground blind. No matchfor the straight walls, but modern sabots paired with the right gun are deadly.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I just ordered this 350 a few days ago. I obviously wont have it in time for this gun season, nor would I be able to use it on the property I hunt, but have always wanted a "Deer Rifle". So looks like Ill join the club. I too am going with the Vortex Crossfire ii 3-X40. Lookin forward to playing with it. I should have it some time next week.

https://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/249045

Johnny44

Forget the shotgun at 250 or even 175.... Just not an ethical shot.... My 870 is dead on at 100 yds... But I'd never even shoot that as I restrict my self to under that hunt in thick shit.... As Jack said 200 is very doable with today's inlines.... I hunt Illinois with my CVA MR loaded with Barnes 250 grain bullets being pushed by 2 Triple Seven Magnums and if I do my part and a deer steps out at 200 yds he's in trouble....

Absolutely on the shotgun. Never dreamed of that.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I actually ended up picking it up last night. They didnt have the Crossfire ii 3-9x40 so ended up with the Copperhead 4-12 x44.

2020-12-04 (1).jpg

2020-12-04.jpg

Why the hell they put stickers on it, I have no clue. The one on the barrel came off fine. The one on the stock is still partially on there :mad::mad:

Now I just need to find a place to zero it.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I just ordered this 350 a few days ago. I obviously wont have it in time for this gun season, nor would I be able to use it on the property I hunt, but have always wanted a "Deer Rifle". So looks like Ill join the club. I too am going with the Vortex Crossfire ii 3-X40. Lookin forward to playing with it. I should have it some time next week.

https://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/249045
I actually ended up picking it up last night. They didnt have the Crossfire ii 3-9x40 so ended up with the Copperhead 4-12 x44.

View attachment 115291

View attachment 115292

Why the hell they put stickers on it, I have no clue. The one on the barrel came off fine. The one on the stock is still partially on there :mad::mad:

Now I just need to find a place to zero it.

I bought one on sunday at Walmart that came with a Kronus 3-9. Sighted it in in 6 shots monday and its done a good job so far putting down a doe at 80 yards. smooth like butter bolt and very nice trigger. Good luck finding ammo though.

Reactions: Mike

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have looked into or shot most of the options.
Shotgun - unless you're looking at the savage bolt you're looking 150 yards or less. More recoil and larger projectile.
Muzzleloader - Jackalope did a great explanation above. Easily a 150 or greater yard option with the right set up.
44 mag - 100-150 yard max, light recoil
444marlin - 200+ yards possible if you can do your part, ammo is more scarce with only a few options unless you reload
45-70 - heavier recoil, lots of load options
450 bushmaster - 150 (maybe 200 yards with enough holdover) shoots a 45 caliber bullet like many muzzleloaders but has the option of it fits on an AR15 platform. VERY LOUD
357max - looking purely custom but an easy 150-200 yard gun.
350 legend - super light recoil, can fit on an AR15 platform. Smaller bullet and doesn't hit as hard, nor make the same size hole as the other options so lots of complaints about lack of pass through or challenging tracking on the 350 legend group; BUT shot placement is always key.

Other niceties is the Silencerco Hybrid 46 can suppress all of the rifle options I mentioned. If you want to play that game also.

Johnny44

I have looked into or shot most of the options.
Shotgun - unless you're looking at the savage bolt you're looking 150 yards or less. More recoil and larger projectile.
Muzzleloader - Jackalope did a great explanation above. Easily a 150 or greater yard option with the right set up.
44 mag - 100-150 yard max, light recoil
444marlin - 200+ yards possible if you can do your part, ammo is more scarce with only a few options unless you reload
45-70 - heavier recoil, lots of load options
450 bushmaster - 150 (maybe 200 yards with enough holdover) shoots a 45 caliber bullet like many muzzleloaders but has the option of it fits on an AR15 platform. VERY LOUD
357max - looking purely custom but an easy 150-200 yard gun.
350 legend - super light recoil, can fit on an AR15 platform. Smaller bullet and doesn't hit as hard, nor make the same size hole as the other options so lots of complaints about lack of pass through or challenging tracking on the 350 legend group; BUT shot placement is always key.

Other niceties is the Silencerco Hybrid 46 can suppress all of the rifle options I mentioned. If you want to play that game also.
THANK YOU!