Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need some assistance, this Flatlander is an Idiot !

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Thank you for all the great advice! I will be hunting the same area for the 2nd time, but I got an idea of where I want to go. We will see once I put boots on the ground and take a deeper look into it.

Reactions: giles

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I have very little experience w hills but this is what this flatlander has learned going Midwest.
Stay on ridges in mornings.
find a meadow or field on top of ridges for evenings.
if you can find a saddle on a ridge HUNT THAT! Even a 10’ drop will funnel deer to cross at the saddle. If there is ag land hunt that in the evening. If not and/or there is acorns in the woods focus on the saddle crossings.
If you have the advantage of seeing movement, recon from a distance to pinpoint a kill spot.
And if all else fails do like a dumb Coonass does and scout till you bump deer and find a tree, back out till the morning, then hunt/scout your way in deeper.
One other thing I can offer as I hunt public all my life, took me a long time to figure this out. Hunt the dustline! This means only 2-300 yards in. This can be next to a road w ag on other side. Never go to end of trail and walk back further than you think other hunters would go.
Can’t tell you how many times a guest killed the biggest buck at the CAMP stand. Also right behind the check station. Who in hell would want to hunt there? Now you on the right track, it’s a niche, you don’t have to do more to kill just have to do the things no one wants to do on pressured ground. Can’t tell you how many giants a first time hunter or first time hunting here killed a great deer cause he didn’t know where he was going and stayed close to the road.
Just food for thought