Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Nebraska Mule Deer

themedic

OHIO

Hopefully, by the time many of you read this I will be on my way across the country to the sandhill region of North-Western Nebraska. This will be my third straight year in this part of the country in pursuit of a mule deer buck. Last year, as some of you may remember, I hunted in South Dakota only a few miles from the Nebraska border where I hunted in 2011.

This area of the country features a wide range of habitat including granite rock bluffs, pine forest ridges, sandhills, prairie flats and scrub brush draws. The area is ideal for the spot and stalk hunting that has fast become my favorite. The area has an abundant whitetail population and some exceptional mule deer. Nebraska tags are Over The Counter and cost only $209 for a Non-resident with an additional $20 habitat stamp. An extremely affordable hunt with plenty of public land access.

This year I will travel with my good friend Zach Skeens of Yes Deer Taxidermy and Processing in Sugar Grove, Ohio and hopefully help him tag his first ever mule deer. It is my hope to document our trip in a semi-live format, day by day. Not sure how interent will be but I'll keep TOO members updated. I hope you all will follow along.

In 2011 I harvested my first mule deer. It was a great hunt with a bittersweet ending on a young mule deer.

In 2012 on a family vacation in Custer South Dakota, I slipped away for a few days and was able to harvest a nice 3x3 muley. Although I did not capture the harvest on video, I am very proud to share the recovery footage. The video can be seen here on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTkJrgsXqMs

Although a harvest is not my only objective for this year’s trip, I hope to up the any and have labeled my 2013 season "Year Of Deep Forks". It is my hope to harvest a mature mule deer buck with deep forked g-2's and then return to Ohio and begin my quest for Denali 2.0. I'm excited to get the 2013 hunting season under way. Let the trophy pursuit's begin!

See you in Nebraska

-Corey

Last edited:

themedic

OHIO
End of day 1 and I'm beat. At first light saw 4 shooters....big shooters 160 plus. They disappeared over a ridge and I looked all day for them but was unsuccessful. Ended up seeing 8 muley does with two bedded under the canon rims like I hope to find a buck. Besides that, got into a herd of elk. Closest I've ever been to a big bull.

themedic

OHIO
Another long day of walking. Daylight till dark. Probably around 10 miles if I had to guess. Saw two shooter mule deer bucks and one maybe. Lots of does again. The biggest buck today was prob around 150. He jumped out of a dry pond filled with cane grass. He was only 25-30 yards from me, prob should have seen him so it feels like a missed opportunity.

I also saw a prairie rattler.....thank god it was already dead. Looked like someone shot ti with a 22 and then cut the rattle off of it. Still scared the crap out of me and makes me walk a little more careful.

I'm surfing off dial up....so bear with me if I dont post much. Here is a pic from today. Can you see the doe?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That was a beauty of a bull elk! Good stuff going on here. Be safe and good luck on the rest of your trip.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Good luck. You are in beautiful country, was out that way a few years ago on a prairie dog hunt. Thoses muleys are on my bucket list, I would love too spot and stalk one with the bow. Good luck keep us posted.

themedic

OHIO
Sorry for no update on day 3. The internet was really slow and I didn't care much to fight it. Anyway, had another great day. Started out on a high bluff and glassed the area where we saw the 4 big ones opening day. I slowly moved into the area and saw 3 muley bucks filter into the area. They moved deeper into the draw and I went in after them. Turns out the biggest buck and the smallest buck blew right threw that draw and headed into the next BIG draw. Well I knew one was left, so I slowly stalked up the draw and got right on top of him. He saw me first though and busted out the draw with offering me only a rushed 50 yards broadside shot. I left an arrow fly but in sailed low because I believe I dropped my arm to look for the impact.....it sucks to miss but he wasn't that big anyway so I wasn't too dejected. The rest of the day was spent looking for the big buck I was that morning and some new areas to hunt. Nothing real eventful. My buddy Zach had a very slow day and never saw a buck on day 3.