Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

NC Turkey/fishing trip

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
We worked our way towards one of the possible gobbles and it turned out to be 2 Toms out in a cutover and another the next cutover over. Joseph and I were in the lead so we continued towards them and the boys stayed back about 30 yards. We basically crawled through a swamp to the cutover edge. The Toms were slowly working their way towards us. I was standing so I could see them and Joseph was kneeling in the water. My hand and forearm went to sleep trying to prop the gun up. After about 15 minutes we had the boys call. They slowly picked up the pace but veered to the right at 60 yards so I soft called. They turned and came right at us. At 43 I let him have it. The other jumped and stayed just out of range.

Bigcountry40

We just tried some public. I got one to respond close! The boys grabbed trees and Joseph and I jumped over the bank. I started calling again but the bird came in silent and they couldn’t get a shot. Meanwhile, 2 Toms and a Jake walked by me and Joseph..... sitting there without guns.
Spence what was the name of the public land? When I lived and hunted in NC, I feel like the public land near me was only open to lottery draw or application turkey hunting. Congrats on the bird also

Reactions: Spencie

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Tyler called in a big double beard.
C0CBEF53-034E-48D3-B766-39FA285427FB.jpeg

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Tyler started working this bird when it was across the river on private. It finally came across but on the other side of a swamp. He skirted the edge trying to get the drop on it but it went silent. After another hour and a half of being quiet he saw it slipping across the swamp towards him. It’s likely the same bird I messed with yesterday afternoon in the same spot.
21#
10 3/4” & 9” beards
1 1/4” Spurs.

My bird was 17.5#, 10” and 1”.
We probably should have killed another bird or 2 but lack of terrain knowledge and some bad luck has spared them.