Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

NAP Spitfire Maxx blade expansion tension adjustment.

Stressless

Keene, OH
I hope this doesn't devolve into a Mechanical / Fixed food fight - I shoot Mechanical at WTD and Fixed at wild pigs here at home.

The NAP Spitfire Maxx 125gr comes setup for an aggressive crossbow launch - i.e., takes 'alot' of energy to keep the blades from expanding on the violent crossbow surge and correspondingly unfold the blades on contact, rated out of the box to 400FPS from a crossbow. I want at least three blades cutting so this has been my goto for awhile. FWIW the 100gr Spitfire Maxx are setup out of the box with less tension per blade. I stepped up to the 125gr last year for my TAW gr etc and that's when I noticed a difference in the tension on the individual blades.

There's a trick to lessen the blade opening energy suck for a smoother (longer) power stroke of a compound bow - and lessen the energy suck required to open the blades on contact. Saved Kinetic energy or Momentum (different formulas) both equate to deeper penetration/retained energy for that hoped for pass thru.

The three pack comes with a tool to fit the three blade screws
mir_20210920_094811.jpg

Giving a clockwise turn to the blade screw lessens the retention tension on the blade, reducing the energy requried for that blade to expand. You'll need to do this to each of the three blades tensioning screws.
mir_20210920_094733.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Big_Holla