Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

N.J. 2018 Firearms Deer Season...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Well tomorrow starts our 6 day firearm buck season... Well actually I think does may be legal in some zones... Poor freaking deer can't catch a break... Also bear season resumes for 6 days... Once again its on private land and a few other chunks that are not state owned... I'll be out for primarily bear... I'll be hunting a pretty vast area called the Newark Watershed which is several thousand acres... Did a little scouting this week and found no sign deer or bear, so I checked another area today and found 3 fairly fresh piles of bear shit in an area that is choked with pines and mountain laurel... Surrounding area is open woods so I'm thinking this is where they are bedding... When I left the fog was so thick you couldn't see 10 feet and getting thicker... So I think I'll sleep in and hit it tomorrow afternoon... I'm not baiting so well see how the cards fall... Since I already got a bear and a deer in Illinois I really don't care if I see one or not... Just enjoy walking around with the 870...

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Not retired yet and used up all of my vacation so I won’t be able to get out until Saturday...but I got this guy visiting my pile behind my house...
23096626-553E-43B7-99EC-F246D7ABE723.jpeg
3B99F359-80A5-4AA8-B569-3D787FA16BA1.jpeg

Fletch

Supporting Member
That's a nice buck.... Good Luck with him... Been helping a friend with some fall cleanups down in Bergen County... You should see some of the bucks in Englewood right by the freaking George Washington bridge leading into New York City.... One vacant lot had 9 bucks in it the other morning...

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Fletch

Supporting Member
Sgt.... Guess you didn't score Sat. on the above buck... I hunted 3 days last week and didn't see as much as a mouse or hear a single gunshot... Since bear season didn't harvest what Fish and Game wanted, its extended for 4 days starting tomorrow... So I figure I'll take the 870 for a walk tomorrow as I found some fresh bear shit today... Boo Boo should be near bye as they are starting to slow down and usually don't travel far...

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Sgt.... Guess you didn't score Sat. on the above buck... I hunted 3 days last week and didn't see as much as a mouse or hear a single gunshot... Since bear season didn't harvest what Fish and Game wanted, its extended for 4 days starting tomorrow... So I figure I'll take the 870 for a walk tomorrow as I found some fresh bear shit today... Boo Boo should be near bye as they are starting to slow down and usually don't travel far...
Had 2 dozen deer around me including a young 4 point with more still coming from the bedding area, something spooked them from inside the bedding area and it was a stampede of at least 20 more deer. I couldn’t see if the buck I was after was among them as they were 80 yards away and hauling ass. They took the ones around my stand with them. I’m swapping SD cards Sunday and if that ten point is still hanging around, I’ll go buy my black powder license. Good luck with Boo Boo.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Well good luck... Dont forget to buy your buck tag... Murphy needs the money....

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Have no idea. I know its pretty close to the beach. Says their is a really nice boardwalk within 30 minutes. Ill have to ask when she comes up for christmas.
That’s a huge area.... could be anywhere from Asbury Park to Cape May! If it’s a southern county, I could point you in the right direction. We have LOTS of deer in the south and plenty of turkeys TOO!

Reactions: giles and Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
That’s a huge area.... could be anywhere from Asbury Park to Cape May! If it’s a southern county, I could point you in the right direction. We have LOTS of deer in the south and plenty of turkeys TOO!
Yup.... But we have Yogi and Boo Boo up North....

Reactions: giles and Sgt Fury

Fletch

Supporting Member
I think 1981 was our first Turkey season.. Originally the state I believe got 14 birds from Vermont and stocked them.. After that they started cannon netting them and stocking other areas of the state.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I think 1981 was our first Turkey season.. Originally the state I believe got 14 birds from Vermont and stocked them.. After that they started cannon netting them and stocking other areas of the state.
I remember the first time in a deer stand when a flock of turkeys walked by....told the guys at the gun club and no one believed me. Now they are everywhere.