Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

my food "to-do" list

Jamie

Ohio
I put 30lbs of fresh side in cure this afternoon. smoke it next weekend.

IMG_2058.jpg

I have somewhere between 80 and 100 squirrels in the freezer that I need to can this week. I'll package some for sous vide instead of canning them all this year.

if time permits, I'll get going on some cold smoked salmon, or Nova, as it's called. not to be confused with Lox of Gravlax.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have similar aspirations. Lots of geese in the freezer that need processed so we can make space for a hog. And I'm super close to pulling the trigger on a sous vide machine thanks to you!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jamie, please share your process when you start canning your squirrels. This is something I want to do. Of course, I need some squirrels first. 😂

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Jamie

Ohio
already did.

ttps://www.theohiooutdoors.com/threads/canning-it-isnt-just-for-gatherers.17816/

one thing to note is that I clean, cut up, and freeze squirrels every day when I kill some. four legs and the back with belly meat left on, trimmed along the back ribs, which is where I cut the spine also. I freeze the ribcages and feed them to the dogs a little at a time with their regular food. on the inside of the front shoulders there is a flat beige colored gland, about the size of a dime on a large fox squirrel, that you should remove. the dogs love those, too.

Last edited:

Jamie

Ohio
so far we are enjoying immersion circulator immensely. Nancy makes fantastic yogurt in 12 hours with it. I've posted already how wonderful it treats venison and squirrel. next thing I'll do is salmon. I've heard that this is one of the best ways to cook fish. we'll see. it is just so damned easy and foolproof you won't believe it until you do it some.

Jamie

Ohio
I got off my ass today despite spending two hours at the dentists' office. I have a couple nice salmon fillets in a simple dry cure of salt, sugar and black pepprer for my trial run of cold smoking, probably tomorrow evening. plus a couple more fillets I am curing with salt, sugar, lemon zest, and fresh dill for Gravlax.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Jamie

Ohio
I discovered with my trial run of hot smoked salmon that these sockeye fillets are so much smaller/thinner than the farm raised Atlantic salmon that is most commonly used that the cure times have to be reduced considerably. instead of the prescribed 24 hours for both the cold smoked and Gravlax I only left them in the cure for about 16 hours. I rinsed off the Gravlax and helped myself to a few slices. very pleased with the salinity and texture. better than the hot smoked, which I only cured for 12 hours, but that gets cooked, so next time I'll go 6 or 8 hours with the Sockeye. or just track down some sashimi quality farm raised Atlantic. or go catch some wild Atlantic salmon in Newfoundland. :D cold smoked fillets are coming out of the smoker when I'm done here. hate having a practically empty smoker, so I did some sea salt and black peppercorns while I was at it. alder and oak on the fish and spices this time.

Gravlax turned out really good. cannot wait to sit down with some toast points, cream cheese, capers, cukes and red onion.

Jamie

Ohio
well, learning new cooking skills is sort of playing around compared to what I did all day today for money. I'm getting too old for this shit. I better go slice into that cold smoked salmon and see if I can salvage a little joy today. crawling around on two full flights of freshly varnished white oak stairs with rolls of tape and a caulking gun all day is the polar opposite of joyous. I get to go back tomorrow and paint the wall stringers and accompanying trim, twice. it should be easier with a hangover, right? :unsure:

Jamie

Ohio
wow. I'm going to gloat a little now. this turned out better than expected. nailed the smoke time and almost hit the cure time just right, too. a couple of hours less next time should be right on the money for this size fillet. the hot smoked was over cured for my taste, but is ok. this cold smoked is the best of my trial runs so far. the Gravlax are really good, too, though. I ate some for breakfast with cream cheese on a English muffin. I have another breakfast meat now. :D but this cold smoked is my best effort so far. I had to make myself stop inhaling it. will save the rest of what I sliced for Nancy. she'll be tired and cranky when she gets home from parent/teacher conferences at 9 tonight. a cold drink and cold smoked salmon should cheer her up a bit. when I get my work done and bacon smoked, I'll be doing another batch of cold smoked salmon. a bigger one. (y)

I typed this almost three hours ago. forgot to hit post reply. dipshit. :geek:

IMG_2064.JPG

Jamie

Ohio
after 6 1/2 days curing in a vacuum, I decided to get on with bacon this morning. too much to do next week, so I need to get this done by tomorrow. washed them off, patted dry and put them in front of my mega fan in the shop for two hours. it's only about 35 degrees out there now. fan did a bang up job dying these off on short order instead of hanging them in the fridge over night. smoke started rolling at 12 after bellies spent over an hour drying further in cabinet while it got up to 120 degrees. smoking these for 8 hours this time, then they will finish getting up to temp by noon of so tomorrow. should take no more than 24 hours to finish. high hopes for this batch as I was not thrilled with the cold smoke I did the last time I made bacon.

this vintage Westinghouse Riviera floor fan (circa late 1950's) is quite a gem. moves air like a damn jet engine, but is pretty quiet. has two speeds, too. paid $10 for it at a small nursery that was going out of business here in J-town the summer after we moved here. nicest piece of junk I've ever bought. (y)

IMG_2065.JPG

Jamie

Ohio
electric smoker, well mine, anyway, does not run great when it's this cold outside, even if it is out of the wind. has to work too hard and temperature fluctuates too much. worse still when it's over loaded with large pieces of meat. I've wrapped it up in old sleeping bag on cold nights before, which helped minimally. I've been scheming to make a box to completely encase the entire smoker. got around to it yesterday after I started smoking bellies yesterday. I have some large sheets of 4 ply cardboard that is about 1/2" thick. I made a four sided box with a double thickness lid. made a huge difference in how well the temperature stayed steady. I have always figured that insulating the top of the smoker better would help a lot in keeping the cabinet temp stable and I proved it last night. what should have taken 20-24 hours took 14 hours running the smoker as close to 135* as I could keep it, and bellies went a few degrees above where I would have liked, but still well below the point of rendering any fat. cabinet temperature barely fluctuated more than 10 degrees after the first few hours of operation, after I covered the smoker with cardboard, and it was 20 degrees outside for most of this smoke. I don't like dealing with smoker at 2am, but that's what I did. 8 hours of smoke and only 6 more hours to reach 130, which a little more than the 127 I was shooting for. bellies were probably up to temp in 12 hours, an hour and a half after I went to bed. encasing smoker in insulation with a couple of inches of dead air space blocks any wind and holds heat considerably better than without. I cut a few rashers to sample after it chilled a few hours outside this morning. nice batch of bacon.

IMG_2066.jpg

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
electric smoker, well mine, anyway, does not run great when it's this cold outside, even if it is out of the wind. has to work too hard and temperature fluctuates too much. worse still when it's over loaded with large pieces of meat. I've wrapped it up in old sleeping bag on cold nights before, which helped minimally. I've been scheming to make a box to completely encase the entire smoker. got around to it yesterday after I started smoking bellies yesterday. I have some large sheets of 4 ply cardboard that is about 1/2" thick. I made a four sided box with a double thickness lid. made a huge difference in how well the temperature stayed steady. I have always figured that insulating the top of the smoker better would help a lot in keeping the cabinet temp stable and I proved it last night. what should have taken 20-24 hours took 14 hours running the smoker as close to 135* as I could keep it, and bellies went a few degrees above where I would have liked, but still well below the point of rendering any fat. cabinet temperature barely fluctuated more than 10 degrees after the first few hours of operation, after I covered the smoker with cardboard, and it was 20 degrees outside for most of this smoke. I don't like dealing with smoker at 2am, but that's what I did. 8 hours of smoke and only 6 more hours to reach 130, which a little more than the 127 I was shooting for. bellies were probably up to temp in 12 hours, an hour and a half after I went to bed. encasing smoker in insulation with a couple of inches of dead air space blocks any wind and holds heat considerably better than without. I cut a few rashers to sample after it chilled a few hours outside this morning. nice batch of bacon.

View attachment 72868
Looks good! Getting your hands on a deli slicer would probably save you some time and work, and give you more consistent thickness. Cutting all of that bacon with a knife has got to be time consuming. Now I’m hungry!😂

Reactions: Jamie