Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Muzzleloader help

NEOhunter

Brock the barrel isn't touching anything in the holder it feels pretty snug in there. I used it just a few weeks ago when sighting in my350 legend without issues.

Fletch I think the barrel is in good shape. I've looked down it with a flashlight and it appears good.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
A few ideas.

1) That is (a virtually) no name scope. There's a reason many people suggest spending as much on the scope as on the gun. At 25 yards do a box drill. Shoot at the target and hit it, then do 40 clicks up and shoot at the same point of aim, then 40 clicks right and shoot the same point of aim, 40 clicks down and shoot the same point of aim and finally 40 clicks left and shoot the same point of aim. If you don't see an almost perfect box then the scope isn't tracking correctly.

2) Modern inlines may not shoot full bore diameter bullets as well as sabots.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Experienced this before myself. It is frustrating. I'll go a different direction. How do you know where the bullet is being seated? Is your ram rod scribed? If that bullet isn't being seated in the same exact spot every single time. . .you will get inconsistent groups. This is a possibility outside of the scope.

With 15 shots between cleaning, it is quite possible the bullet isn't going in as far on round 10 or 15 as it is on round 1 or 2. This will give you fits. I usually shoot a round or two, run a brush, run dry patch or patches, and repeat.

Reactions: Big_Holla

cooperve

coshocton
Lead sleds weighted to control recoil are very hard on less than quality scopes. Been there done that. Never used it again. For Sale: one used (used once) rusty Lead Sled - real cheap.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Is the stock forearm touching the barrel - is the barrel free floating - shooting 20 shots would warm the barrel enough to cause pressure on the stock at some point and change point of impact - should be able to slip a dollar bill between the barrel and stock

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Scope could definitely be the issue. But the round your using, it’s not a sabot Is it? What’s the twist on your barrel? Most modern in-lines have a faster twist. That round you’re using looks more like a conical. Those aren’t made for a faster twist barrel if I remember right. I’d try a sabot if you can find any.

Reactions: giles and Big_Holla

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Scope could definitely be the issue. But the round your using, it’s not a sabot Is it? What’s the twist on your barrel? Most modern in-lines have a faster twist. That round you’re using looks more like a conical. Those aren’t made for a faster twist barrel if I remember right. I’d try a sabot if you can find any.
This.!!
Mine shoots sabots very well.
I cast some full size bullets and they flew all over the place, mostly off the paper.

And a different scope.

Reactions: giles

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Oh heck yes, I didn’t see the bullets. Get rid of those. I tried shooting something similar years ago from an inline. Only time I’ve ever seen a bullet actually keyhole paper. I’d bet money that’s your issue. And with the recoil those produce, if your scope wasn’t trash before it probably is now.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Oh heck yes, I didn’t see the bullets. Get rid of those. I tried shooting something similar years ago from an inline. Only time I’ve ever seen a bullet actually keyhole paper. I’d bet money that’s your issue. And with the recoil those produce, if your scope wasn’t trash before it probably is now.
I'm with J and Brock and just looked at bullets.. GARBAGE... Go get some Barnes T-EZ 250 grain slugs... And like Joe said scope is garbage...

NEOhunter

Time for an update:

I took the muzzleloader back out today and started at 25 yards. I shot twice and they were both touching each other about 2 inches high of bullseye. I cleaned it and made some adjustments to the scope and it was touching the corner of the bullseye. So I moved everything back to 50 yards and fired. Shot was 3 inches high but left to right was good. Cleaned the barrel again and shot 1 more and it was good. Moved everything back to 100 yards and the height was perfect and bullet was about 2 inches to the left. Cleaned gun again and made some adjustments, ended up too many clicks, as next bullet was 3 inches to the right. So turned a few clicks back the other way and it was 1/2 inch to the right. Felt good with that and I just got in cleaned again and ready for this weekend.

I'm sure the scope could be a better one, I think I'll look into that this summer.

Nobody offended me, I appreciate all the help and insights.

Now lets hope for a nice buck to come within range this weekend.
Good luck everyone

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Time for an update:

I took the muzzleloader back out today and started at 25 yards. I shot twice and they were both touching each other about 2 inches high of bullseye. I cleaned it and made some adjustments to the scope and it was touching the corner of the bullseye. So I moved everything back to 50 yards and fired. Shot was 3 inches high but left to right was good. Cleaned the barrel again and shot 1 more and it was good. Moved everything back to 100 yards and the height was perfect and bullet was about 2 inches to the left. Cleaned gun again and made some adjustments, ended up too many clicks, as next bullet was 3 inches to the right. So turned a few clicks back the other way and it was 1/2 inch to the right. Felt good with that and I just got in cleaned again and ready for this weekend.

I'm sure the scope could be a better one, I think I'll look into that this summer.

Nobody offended me, I appreciate all the help and insights.

Now lets hope for a nice buck to come within range this weekend.
Good luck everyone

Glad it worked out for you, but for next season I’d switch too a sabot and blackhorn powder. Good luck with your muzzy season.

Reactions: Clay Showalter