Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Morning Boys

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Come get em Adam, lol. Going to look at making a Anti Raccoon Feeder, I can't afford to lose 100 pounds of corn in just 3 nights to Raccoon's. If it was deer I would be ok with it, lol.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Come get em Adam, lol. Going to look at making a Anti Raccoon Feeder, I can't afford to lose 100 pounds of corn in just 3 nights to Raccoon's. If it was deer I would be ok with it, lol.

Build one like xbowguy did and you shouldn't have an issue with the coon anymore. Fairly easy way to coon proof your feeders.

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Have not been out for a while. Got sent out to a new rig ( thank goodness ) so will be ready to het the woods again when I get back. Ordered a deer feeder that I hope eliminates the raccoon problem with my corn. Waiting on a replacement camera from Wilderness Adventures ( not happy with that camera at all ).

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good deal Jeff... Glad too see works picking back up for ya.....

I've come too the conclusion there's no such thing as coon proof anything lol

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Good deal Jeff... Glad too see works picking back up for ya.....

I've come too the conclusion there's no such thing as coon proof anything lol

61H5kTRFseL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RNHPUOO/ref=nav_timeline_asin?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I ordered and going to try. I thought from the base of the tree up to the bottom of the feeder I would wrap some thin sheet metal ( would have to paint the sheet metal of course ) around the tree so the raccoons can't climb up..................or better yet barb wire. :smiley_chinrub:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
They will get around the barbed wire. Already tried all that.
Thin sheet metal MAY work if large diameter tree that stands totally alone. (They WILL use a tree to get to your tree). I used aluminum on a 4 x 4 and they put back feet on front of pole and front feet on back of pole....shimmie right on up!

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Damn things!!! I have two trees that stand alone from others with no limbs / branches close to it so I was hoping the sheet metal would work. I got to say I am surprised the barb wire did not work for you I would have thought at least it slowed them down. I read one (1) raccoon can eat up TOO five (5) pounds of corn a night. I know I put 100 pounds out and in 3 nights it was pretty much gone.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I believe it was close to 300 pounds (55gal feeder) they went through in like 6 days. Trapped as many as 47 coons off one feeder in like 3.5 weeks. My buddy got 52 off one feeder in 3 weeks. They SUCK!

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I have counted 12 at one time on my game trail camera, God knows how many more were in the back ground and surrounding area. I hate em!!!!!

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Well got home Monday night at 10:30 P.M. from the rig. Yesterday (Tuesday) was a "get caught up day". Mowed the yard.....well mulched the leaves, got some corn and hung my new feeders out in the woods. I have not wrapped the metal flashing around the base of the trees yet but probably will do that soon depending on what I see with the Coons. Hung my replacement Moultrine camera (they replaced it because the LCD panel went ) and still waiting on my replacement Wild Game Adventures camera to show up. That one sucked!!! It would not program correctly and not take pictures. My old camera would have for example 30 pictures and the WGA camera maybe 2 or 3.
Going to go pick up my deer this morning and head out later today in this wind. 40 - 55 miles an hour bursts at times. Uggggg.

Here is a couple pictures of the feeders I hung. I like what I see so far with one small issue, when you tighten up the ratchet strap it distorts the top of the lid area and the lid wont go on so you need to loosen it, fill it and tighten it back up. Not a big deal if these work the way I hope they do.

IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
One deer at 4:32 P.M. walking the stream heading west..........pretty much walking cross wind and I mean high winds!! About 80 -100 yards in front of me. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.