Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mineral Article: DIY Style

OO2

In the Uplands
I'll probably try my hand at making one this year. When should I get it going? Looks like spring may be right around the corner with this mild winter.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This seep sees a ton of action from does, but rarely any bucks. Not sure why, but I'm trying to raise healthy does and fawns too, so I'll take it. I set a 50# block of molasses in there and added 50#s of stock salt at the source to freshen it up one last time before fall. With the neighbors using Trophy Rocks and this on our farm, I really see no reason for me to keep another mineral site going at this time. We may land another chunk of ground adjacent to our farm in the next year or two and if so, I will add one there. Until now, this thing will serve its purpose well.

20170607_153615.jpg
Been putting out just 40 lb. bags of water softener salt pellets($4 at Aldi) for the past month or so and the deer are obliterating it! Gonna start throwing in some red mineral blocks from TSC to add a some/different more nutrients. More doing it for pic inventory and attracting deer to my food plot next to the site. Heard guys give people a lot of shit for just using salt but whatever, IMO minerals aren't going to have a massive impact on antlers or heard health, and definitely not any where close to the extent that food plots do. For me it's just a good way to get pictures and get deer on a pattern of coming to the area I want to hunt them.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Once again, Photobucket can suck a fart!

I am going to abandon the natural lick I found after experimenting with it for 2 years with no bucks visiting it. Time to reconsider both my attractant and my location. Anyone had luck with their licks that were a good ways off from a water source?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Once again, Photobucket can suck a fart!

I am going to abandon the natural lick I found after experimenting with it for 2 years with no bucks visiting it. Time to reconsider both my attractant and my location. Anyone had luck with their licks that were a good ways off from a water source?

I started a mineral site last summer that was a good 200 yards from the river, and 150 yards from a feeder creek. That's where I started getting pics of two piece and several other bucks. TSC stock salt and grape drank😂

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
For the grape koolaid. Do you get the packets or the mix that has all the sugar and crap in it? I think I need to step up my game.

Quart container, mix with salt and trace minerals until you smell the grape. You don't need the whole quart for one site.

Reactions: cspot

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
View attachment 55011
Been putting out just 40 lb. bags of water softener salt pellets($4 at Aldi) for the past month or so and the deer are obliterating it! Gonna start throwing in some red mineral blocks from TSC to add a some/different more nutrients. More doing it for pic inventory and attracting deer to my food plot next to the site. Heard guys give people a lot of shit for just using salt but whatever, IMO minerals aren't going to have a massive impact on antlers or heard health, and definitely not any where close to the extent that food plots do. For me it's just a good way to get pictures and get deer on a pattern of coming to the area I want to hunt them.

Seeing bucks grow 40" to 50" in one year without the use of food plots leads me to believe that the use of minerals helps antler growth some. And for as cheap as you can make your own, Why not. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...-whitetails/&usg=AOvVaw2TFnOjCpuuWfmpGHQDKZ7I