Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mid Late Season bait tactic!

Bigcountry40

So I have several apple trees on my 2 acre homestead that I live on. Today and tommorow, I am putting out apples in to woods that received a lot of traffic during gun season (both were pushed several times). I hoping that within the next 5 days I can catch a mature buck returning to legal shooting time feeding pattern. I am going to check cameras saturday and sunday, hoping to get a few good hunts in before late gun and additional pressure. Anyone else ever done anything like this immediately after gun season?

Reactions: Big_Holla

Chass

The Hills
Better put a bunch out. I tossed a bag out we had laying around. One deer (11pt) came up and ate all of em in about 20 minutes. Full grocery bag. This was this past week during gun season. I can guarantee they'll hit it, now as to what time and what exactly. Who knows but it could work!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Yeah with corn at an established feeder, but it always took 1-2wks before anything remotely returned back to normal for day time pictures. My '10 ten point was killed with 7mins left in shooting time on the bonus weekend, 2 weeks after gun week. Prior to that day, all pictures were nocturnal.

Anything is better than nothing to help entice, but weather is not on your side either. It was -5 regular temp that Sunday, feel like of around -15 and I caught him on his path to the feeder about 100yrds away.

Good luck!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Certainly better than nothing. But like Adam said, getting them to work back in, in daylight, in a week or less is probably going to be a long shot. But stranger things have happened, so it's worth trying.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Does anyone use sugar beets. I've have good luck with them the very late season.

Bigcountry40

Your best shot is to get that bait in thick cover as close to their suspected bedding as possible.
I believe I am pretty close to where they bed, the bait is inside the woods probably within a 100 yards of where I suspect the bed. I have never actually walked through the entire woods, but after hunting it several times all the deer typically come from or go the north where its extremely thick.

Bigcountry40

So went out and checked a camera today on one of my woods, nothing has touched the apples, squirrel and possum on camera. Classic western Ohio woods, deer can become real scarce during the winter when they herd up and are pushed during gun season. They may not be back in there until the spring. I've hunted woods in Western where I seen deer every sit in October and November, then after gun into January don't see a deer or a track, its like they disappear