Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Meigs County?????

Fletch

Supporting Member
Still in search of some property and was wondering about Meigs County.... What's the pros and cons of it??? Is it known to produce quality deer??? Land seems a little cheaper there...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That might happen in most counties, don't ya think???

Yep, but some counties are more lawless than others. When your state park has well worn four-wheeler trails all through it and no one stops it, you're in a pretty lawless place. It's also a heavily pressured county with mediocre, to moderate genetics in terms of the state as a whole. If the goal is to buy land cheap, it's great for that. But if "quality" plays any part in your goals, there's better options out there.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
That area recieves a lot of hunting pressure. Better off looking in south eastern counties...Vinton, Jackson, Washington, Morgan. Just google something like Vinton county Ohio land and you’ll get lots of sites to look at. That’s how I found my place in Vinton county but it took three years of walking pieces of land out before I found one I liked. Anything with deer stands on the property line, quad trails or houses next to your property should be avoided if you want to go after quality deer. The more “off the beaten path” the better.

Meigs has it's places where it is lawless at times but there are good areas too, just like any county in the whole state. I would not drop the area for consideration if you find the size and price you are looking for. That is where George is right with going out and walking the place to look it over. We have had a few problems with trespassing and items stolen over the years but for the most part the neighbors are pretty good.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Meigs has it's places where it is lawless at times but there are good areas too, just like any county in the whole state. I would not drop the area for consideration if you find the size and price you are looking for. That is where George is right with going out and walking the place to look it over. We have had a few problems with trespassing and items stolen over the years but for the most part the neighbors are pretty good.
I'm sure there are rednecks everywhere...

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
To the original question..... yes there are high quality deer in Meigs county. I wanted to check out a property in that county, I still think the piece I was interested in would have been a great deer and turkey property just from map study. I would still check out anything you are interested in. Neighbors make all the difference, you might get lucky.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
No deer in Meigs lol.

Seriously check out meigs co outdoor trophies, lots of really really nice deer. Hell I chased a 160” + deer for years on my land.

Meigs county would be good to check out @Fletch. I was thinking Muskingum county. Any county in the southeastern part of the state would be a good place to check out. The more remote, the better. Muskingum, Coshocton, Knox and Licking have high success rates, but also heavy hunting pressure.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Fletch

Supporting Member
George... Certain counties are out of my price range... Licking property is very steep... For a piece of property to just hunt on I'm willing to spend $75-100,000... Just gotta be patient... Will put boots on the ground this spring, summer... In the mean time if anyone heard of a small piece up for lease please let me know....