Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mason Jar Collectors

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't collect much other than hunting gear, but I've picked up some nice Mason jars in recent years, so I wanted to learn more about what I had on hand. This chart is a convenient resource if you want to age your jars. I put salsa in a 100-year-old "Triple L" today and it's my favorite jar. It's got air bubbles in and it's imperfectly shaped, but still takes a new lid/band, which is a real testament to their quality control!

Trader's Days in Reinersville has become an annual tradition and I always leave with a jar. When I die, hopefully someone else can appreciate the jars I manage to collect.

dating the ball jar copy-603x1024.jpg

IMG_20191128_083945_287.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Very nice Jesse. I have hundreds of them but never really thought about dates. I'll have to check now.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I knew this particular jar was older and figured it was among the most valuable, but I had no idea it was that old. It was a gift from my mom. She's into crocks and other antiques. Once I started putting enough jars together to be considered a "collection", she snagged this one for me and gave me a few of hers. I have no idea how much it's worth, but it definitely has the "cool" factor to it.

Floki

Pretty cool. I have few sitting around somewhere. Couple have 13 on the bottom. Any with double digits on bottom make them worth more.

Supposedly 13 is rare due to moonshiners smashing them saying the number 13 was bad luck.

Reactions: bowhunter1023