Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lost my Hunting Buddy

Jburris

The first hunting season I am not looking forward TOO. Some of you may remember some of the stories but everything has changed for me.
On July 2nd I lost my hunting buddy and my son. Unfortunately he died in an ATV accident while we were on vacation. Over the last 5 years since he was 9 yrs old he has been with me almost everytime I was in the woods. Last year he harvested his first 2 deer. What an exiting moment and even days afterwards. He looked forward to deer camp every year and talked about it the rest of the year. I enjoyed teaching him everything that I know and he was a sponge. He lived his life with a smile on his face and by putting a smile on everyone else's. I know he will be with me in the stand this year but I can't imagine how hard it is going to be. I will not give it up because I know he would not want that. I am sure he will still be an integral part of hunting camp as he has been the past 5 years. May he watch over all of us as we hit the woods in the next few months. RIP Connor. I will miss you more than anything in the world. Thank you for all the great memories and thank you for always being there with me in the woods doing what we loved to do. You have taught me so much. You never gave up on anything and worked your arse off for everything. I love you son.View attachment 22820

#honorconnor[/QUOTE im at loss for words hearing this really is truly sad my prayers are with you and your family no doubt he'll be in that stand with you

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Quick rant.

As most of you know we give out 3 - $1500 scholarships each year in Connor’s memory. The school accepts applications starting in January and then sends them to us usually by end of March.

Theresa and I go through the applicants and select 1 wrestler, 1 soccer player, and 1 academic with a 3.0 gpa or higher. We usually get 20 or so applicants each year.

It is amazing to me the lack of effort most of these kids put in to get a little money for college. Most of the applications we get are riddled with typo’s, spelling errors, and one line responses to the questions. They get worse each year. I told T after looking at them this year we will be lucky to get enough worthy individuals before long.

SMH

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Quick rant.

As most of you know we give out 3 - $1500 scholarships each year in Connor’s memory. The school accepts applications starting in January and then sends them to us usually by end of March.

Theresa and I go through the applicants and select 1 wrestler, 1 soccer player, and 1 academic with a 3.0 gpa or higher. We usually get 20 or so applicants each year.

It is amazing to me the lack of effort most of these kids put in to get a little money for college. Most of the applications we get are riddled with typo’s, spelling errors, and one line responses to the questions. They get worse each year. I told T after looking at them this year we will be lucky to get enough worthy individuals before long.

SMH
That sucks, entitled little shits....

Wonder how many of them actually done by parents? Seems most kids wouldn’t lift a finger too help themselves out monetary wise too better their situations....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hate to hear that, Jon. Like you said it is getting more and more common, which is really scary.

I really don’t know if you can blame the parents per se. I mean, I was never like that as a student, but my parents didn’t do anything special, or anything at all for that matter. Is it the difference in education methods? Long-term effects of constant smartphone usage? I don’t know. I tend to blame the phones for overall lack of motivation, focus, and effort. Can that blame then be passed onto the parents? Sure, I suppose so. But that’s a tough one to battle.

This is so true and has been for a couple decades, but is getting worse.

I have a niece who was full ride, including all incidentals through 4 years of University. Absolutely EVERYTHING PAID FOR! No need for working at all during those 4 years!

I asked her at her graduation how much she owed coming out and she said she owed nothing but gratitude to the scholarship funds and those who run them! Oh and to all her fellow lazy students who never bothered to apply for those smaller scholarships under $10,000. She then told me that some crazy % like 40% of those scholarships never get applied for!! Lastly she told me that her "full ride" was about 50% from scholarships that paid well under $10,000 per year.

She did work summers and saved all that money for her future. Now 10 years out of college, she has worked for a major defense contractor and traveled the world, safely! She now lives in Hawaii and handles the finances for a major indigenous foundation for the benefit of the natives, funded by the proceeds of the estate of a Hawaiian Princess!

Crazy story I know, but the take away is there are millions of dollars of unclaimed scholarship monies every year and that smart kids will take the time to write a paper can avoid leaving their higher education $100,000 in debt and being slaves to that debt and the masters who hold the note on their future earnings! In fact, if they do what my niece did, and in the process saved $20,000 over 4 years by working summers, that money put in a Roth IRA over their working career would, in a growth fund grow to well over a million dollars! And that is without ever putting another penny into the account during their working life! If they remain smart and contribute over their working years they could retire at 50!