Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Looking for something different to do this August?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You get to kill them right?
Looks like it.
66043E21-5E48-4B8E-BCA4-44C690BCA438.jpeg

Reactions: Mike

Bigcountry40

Can u eat them? Serious question, I helped skin a diamond back in Texas once, the innards were the worst smelling I have ever experienced, including a bear that was shot in the gul that sat over night

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
There’s much better things to do than that. Hard pass for me. Do you know how hot it is in august in the south? September or October would be better riding in the truck on back roads when they come to the road to keep body temps up, oh yeah and then there’s beer!
Agreed. Hard pass for me too. Stomping around in the marsh grass that's over your head, getting tore up by bugs in 110-degree heat and no shade, dodging a shitload of moccasins and momma gators whose eggs should Just be hatching in late August. I mean I'd go, but I'll drive and keep an eye on the truck. 😉

Left field

Agreed. Hard pass for me too. Stomping around in the marsh grass that's over your head, getting tore up by bugs in 110-degree heat and no shade, dodging a shitload of moccasins and momma gators whose eggs should Just be hatching in late August. I mean I'd go, but I'll drive and keep an eye on the truck. 😉
or take somebody slower for bait/decoy

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I’d rather go for gaters than those things.

My brother will be doing just that this year, perhaps me right along with him.

He wants me to comedown and go huntin with him to get his first one ever. According to what he told me, resident military veterans are allowed to harvest one a year at either no cost or very limited cost. He has a permit for one this year already to go. He's suppose to give ample warning/time when he wants me to fly down and jump aboard his boat to head out and get'em one.

His boat...
signal-2022-06-11-11-14-16-000.jpg

Should be good times! Totally looking forward to it!!

P.S. - he's been texting me photos of them over the past few days so, I know he's definitely on the mission to get himself one for sure. He cracks me up!

signal-2022-06-11-11-16-20-000.jpg

Attachments

• 20220613_134825.jpg
    20220613_134825.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio

He wants me to comedown and go huntin with him to get his first one ever. According to what he told me, resident military veterans are allowed to harvest one a year at either no cost or very limited cost. He has a permit for one this year already to go. He's suppose to give ample warning/time when he wants me to fly down and jump aboard his boat to head out and get'em one.

His boat...
View attachment 154624

P.S. - he's been texting me photos of them over the past few days so, I know he's definitely on the mission to get himself one for sure. He cracks me up!

View attachment 154626

A few more texted messages received from my youngest brother, Russ, down in Florida.

The latest received @7:00 a.m. sharp this morning stating he's heading out to do more scouting for those bigger gators while fishing.

Wife & I are seriously contemplating on flying down next week. Our wedding anniversary is today, so, the thought is to do some celebrating with him and his wife. I'm sure if we do, I'll get my feet wet helping him out trying narrowing down a few areas so we can hunt down one of those big ass water lizards when the season opens. He's good to go in multiple counties to get himself one.

signal-2022-06-19-20-43-45-000 (1).jpg

Yesterday's evening catch of his...

signal-2022-06-22-20-44-16-000.jpg
signal-2022-06-22-18-21-19-000.jpg
signal-2022-06-22-18-21-31-000.jpg

Attachments

• 20220620_142513.jpg
    20220620_142513.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 72

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

His boat...
View attachment 154624

View attachment 154626

You might want to talk to him again to make sure he isn't confused. You have to apply and be drawn for a permit and it comes with two tags. For a resident it's like $272, and for those disabled or over 65 it's $22. Non-residents it's like $1,200. There aren't any veterans clauses. Just make sure he understands it correctly because if he's confused and harvests one without the proper CITES tag they'll put him under the jail for it.

Reactions: Wildlife

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
You might want to talk to him again to make sure he isn't confused. You have to apply and be drawn for a permit and it comes with two tags. For a resident it's like $272, and for those disabled or over 65 it's $22. Non-residents it's like $1,200. There aren't any veterans clauses. Just make sure he understands it correctly because if he's confused and harvests one without the proper CITES tag they'll put him under the jail for it.

Yeah, he emailed me his cost the other day, so, he's totally good to go. He's a thorough type of guy and usually doesn't miss a thing when he has his mind on killin somethin.

20220613_142513.jpg
20220613_143426.jpg
20220613_142828z.jpg

This is the YouTuber that inspired him to get after one this year. Which I've watched with him when he first asked me to go gator huntin with him.

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio

Just got off the phone with Russ while he had a running fish hooked.

According to him, his out of pocket cost was the $22.00, which is supposedly good for one gator within the state and also paid the additional $272.00 for those additional counties to get in the draw. He'll find out in another day or two if he gets in any of those. My cost as a helper/assistant will be $62.00, which basically is just that, helping in getting the gator either in the boat and/or operating the boat, so on and so forth.

I'll be flying down next week as a dry run, straight flight from Rickenbacker to Punta Gorda airport, just minutes from his place. I'm sure we'll work through all the details in what he hopes to accomplish regarding this whole alligator hunting endeavor/adventure of his.

Trust me, he's pumped in getting himself one this year and I'm all too happy to helping him out.

Last edited: