Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from Mississippi.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It's 66 degrees but I can't stand it any longer. I'm heading about an hour north to Desoto National Forrest to see if I can't bust a deer or a hog with the Muzzy. It's primative weapon season right now for the next 5 days and we're between Rifle with Dog and another Rifle season. If nothing else it'll be a good walk.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Don’t worry the skeeters have been waiting for your return. They miss you and show you all the love they missed out on lol. Good luck Joe. Times have changed from hunting a 130 behind every tree in the Midwest where they had no where to hide to hoping you even see a deer.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Gonna need to travel a little further north next time. South Desoto is nothing but pines with burn management. Hardly any biodiversity and brush so thick you'd feel bad for your rabbit dog.

20201210_151133.jpg

I spun up OnX and found a gas line right of way to check out.. It was pretty clear so I walked it about a half-mile. In a bottom, I found some oaks and decided to sit there for the last two hours.

20201210_163400.jpg

No deer seen except a doe with three fawns when leaving. I did see some hog sign but no bacon. It was nice to get out and spend some time in the woods after the last 5 months of house selling/buying and moving. I didn't hear a single car the entire time, no leaf blower, chainsaw, or neighbors with a new rifle. The only sound was nature, a distant one lunger, and the boys at camp Shelby over the horizon getting in some time with Artey.

rooster85

Lake County
Gonna need to travel a little further north next time. South Desoto is nothing but pines with burn management. Hardly any biodiversity and brush so thick you'd feel bad for your rabbit dog.

View attachment 115881

I spun up OnX and found a gas line right of way to check out.. It was pretty clear so I walked it about a half-mile. In a bottom, I found some oaks and decided to sit there for the last two hours.

View attachment 115882

No deer seen except a doe with three fawns when leaving. I did see some hog sign but no bacon. It was nice to get out and spend some time in the woods after the last 5 months of house selling/buying and moving. I didn't hear a single car the entire time, no leaf blower, chainsaw, or neighbors with a new rifle. The only sound was nature, a distant one lunger, and the boys at camp Shelby over the horizon getting in some time with Artey.

Arty is music to my ears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dustinb80 and "J"

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Welcome to reality of hunting in the south, yeah I’m not saying it you joe as you know. Animal sightings are well earned down here. Got to scout 80% and hunt 10%. The other 10% is figuring out where the pressure is. I’ve said this before this ain’t the Midwest, the struggle is real. Time to wear out some boots.

Sounds like you had a good hunt either way. You will get on them soon or come hunt w me.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Welcome to reality of hunting in the south, yeah I’m not saying it you joe as you know. Animal sightings are well earned down here. Got to scout 80% and hunt 10%. The other 10% is figuring out where the pressure is. I’ve said this before this ain’t the Midwest, the struggle is real. Time to wear out some boots.

Sounds like you had a good hunt either way. You will get on them soon or come hunt w me.

For sure nothing like the expansive mixed hardwoods of the Ms south delta where I grew up. 😅. Pines. Pines as far as the eye can see. I looked at today as more of a scouting trip than anything. If a fella was to buy a little property and clear lanes and plant plots or hell even just grass hr would do pretty good. It's the NF timber management that's the real problem. To me it looks like they thin and burn to get sunlight to the floor but that also means a very thick under brush. I noticed that the soil where I was hunting was still very sandy, and in some places it was white sand. I think I'm still a little far south and need go more north.

I appreciate the offer. I'll.probably take you up on that at some point this season to put some meat in the freezer.

Screenshot_20201210-200743_Maps.jpg

Reactions: the Lackster