Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from Louisiana

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
It’s cold..... outside
974DF6A9-765A-4E0B-85CD-A8B9BE26C9DF.jpeg

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
How's your birds?
Birds are good for now. We just starting to freeze at the house and will be 24 hours before we get above freezing.

I know, I know, everything down here is not built for your weather. Got to wrap everything up for freezes. We supposed to get in the low teens. It’s cold and wet

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Birds are good for now. We just starting to freeze at the house and will be 24 hours before we get above freezing.

I know, I know, everything down here is not built for your weather. Got to wrap everything up for freezes. We supposed to get in the low teens. It’s cold and wet

Funny. I left the insulated spigot covers on our old house in Ohio because I remember thinking to myself "I'll never need those damn things." I was just outside wrapping them in old towels. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: triple_duece

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
My palm trees around the pool will take the biggest hit. Other stuff always dies off and comes back. Hoping my orange trees and blueberry bushes make it. Got my trucks on block heaters plugged in and water will be running in every faucet thru tomorrow. Gonna cover my bird pens w tarps before dark. They probably don’t need it. They face southeast, with the backs having plywood.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
My palm trees around the pool will take the biggest hit. Other stuff always dies off and comes back. Hoping my orange trees and blueberry bushes make it. Got my trucks on block heaters plugged in and water will be running in every faucet thru tomorrow. Gonna cover my bird pens w tarps before dark. They probably don’t need it. They face southeast, with the backs having plywood.
Your blueberry bushes will be fine...Hammonton NJ is the “blueberry capitol of the world” and the tens of thousands of acres of them survive winter here every year. Don’t think your orange trees will suffer but if there’s fruit on them you’ll lose them. Palm trees are in trouble! People have palm trees up here that they put around tiki bars in the summer and they all are dead by the end of November.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Catahoula cur, black mouth cur, plot hound and most are mixed to a persons likings. Any of the hound groups are mixed in also.

Yep. Mostly just mutts that are good at what they do. Some people get hung up on markings and eye color, most don't care long as the hunt hard.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Your blueberry bushes will be fine...Hammonton NJ is the “blueberry capitol of the world” and the tens of thousands of acres of them survive winter here every year. Don’t think your orange trees will suffer but if there’s fruit on them you’ll lose them. Palm trees are in trouble! People have palm trees up here that they put around tiki bars in the summer and they all are dead by the end of November.
My orange trees are under the canopy of pine trees. It’s a trade off because it don’t bare all the fruit it could cause it’s shaded. But when it gets cold it has thermal cover. I have 2 trees out of the original 8 I planted when we moved here in 07. The palms around the pool have not faired as well. About the only ones that can handle some cold are my washitonias and another type. I might loose all the palm frawns and hopefully the heart don’t freeze. I’ve replaced a few before and grown some from 5’ height. They are now 25’ and hard to cut the dead frawns off even w a limb saw

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It’s cold..... outsideView attachment 121166

Sure is. They don't get much use down here. The one in this house is a propane insert. I though about putting in a wood insert but where it sits in the center of the house i'd have to go through a second story. Between the stove, the amount of double wall and fire stops, plus soffiting upstairs I can burn a shitton of gas. 😂

20210215_193247.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sure is. They don't get much use down here. The one in this house is a propane insert. I though about putting in a wood insert but where it sits in the center of the house i'd have to go through a second story. Between the stove, the amount of double wall and fire stops, plus soffiting upstairs I can burn a shitton of gas. 😂

View attachment 121195
B9B7CEA3-4CB5-484D-A6B7-AD7049361D29.jpeg
Same here, we use it a couple hours a day during the colder days. It’s nice and relaxing too just stare at.