Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

License increase

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
Now who didn't see this coming. Isn't this Dewine idea??? What an idiot. He hasn't been in office 4 months, and he has already decided to raise taxes/rates (all the same thing) on something he can't even get the funds for. Derrrrrr, smooth move Roscoe! I do hate a RINO, I hate them fierce. Republican my ass.

Say, since all that extra revenue has to go to wildlife related stuff, I wonder how much awesome, habitat rich land ole Mr Dewine is going to buy for us? I wonder which county it will be in. LOL LOL

Reactions: giles
Age, not money will be the deciding factor for me. There will be a day when I decide that I’m too old for this shit....hopefully that day is decades away, but at 55, I’ve got more days of hunting behind me than I do ahead of me.

I agree that age will determine when most of the serious hunters quit. At the age of 67 I still buy a hunting license every year, but use landowner tags for deer and turkey. I can only hunt my property by getting to and from my stands on my old Craftsman tractor. I looked at the idea of buying a Polaris Ace to hunt some of the farms I did 10 years ago, but didn't pull the trigger. I bought my property to hunt on and I'm sure once I can't cut it there I'll be done hunting all together. I started selling off my guns a while back, so I know my time is coming. I hate to think my time is short, but I sure have enjoyed every time I stepped in the woods over the last 50+ years.

I believe hunter numbers will continue to shrink as the years go by. I feel bad for the younger generations that will miss out on some of lifes most pleasurable times. I had hoped my grandchildren would take an interest in the outdoors, but it hasn't happened.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have been taking kids small game hunting the last couple of years. Unfortunately, most of them already were hunters. I seriously plan to expand my circle by taking along kids that may be interested in the outdoors but don’t have parents that participate. The beagles we have are going to be a perfect excuse to do so. With the mentor license program, there are no obstacles in the way to prevent every hunter in the state from doing the same. I e enjoyed teaching my kids and it won’t be long before I won’t be able to go if Mason doesn’t take me. I think I should use the window between those times to take other kids.

Fletch

Supporting Member
I agree that age will determine when most of the serious hunters quit. At the age of 67 I still buy a hunting license every year, but use landowner tags for deer and turkey. I can only hunt my property by getting to and from my stands on my old Craftsman tractor. I looked at the idea of buying a Polaris Ace to hunt some of the farms I did 10 years ago, but didn't pull the trigger. I bought my property to hunt on and I'm sure once I can't cut it there I'll be done hunting all together. I started selling off my guns a while back, so I know my time is coming. I hate to think my time is short, but I sure have enjoyed every time I stepped in the woods over the last 50+ years.

I believe hunter numbers will continue to shrink as the years go by. I feel bad for the younger generations that will miss out on some of lifes most pleasurable times. I had hoped my grandchildren would take an interest in the outdoors, but it hasn't happened.

Dick hang in there you still have plenty of gas in that tank of yours... At 67 your still a youngster..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I love when they make broad sweeping statements like this with shit all to back it up.

Mertz said the DeWine administration is proposing to raise fishing license fees and certain hunting permit fees, a move she said is backed by sportsmen

The fees are being raised at the request of sportsmen and sportswomen, who want the money used for better services, she said.

And then go on to say some bullshit like this.

it also includes a provision, inserted by local lawmakers, that spends $500,000 to fix the dock that serves North Bass Island so that ferry service to the island can continue

It's not even law and they're already looting it

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Taking care of a ferry dock that services a private ferry line should not be part of the deal.
Did I ever tell you guys about Earl Wallace? He was the WO in Pickaway county when I was a kid. He drove around in an Andy Griffith looking sedan. Had no ATV. Answered the phone when called, or at least returned the call. And he patrolled known hunting and fishing locations. And if a bow hunter shot a deer and found it long after, he’d come pick that sucker up to make sure the bow hunter did not cut off the antlers for a keepsake. He did all kinds of sneaky, covert stuff to catch law breakers and benders. Man that guy was good, and old as dirt at the time. And all he had was a sedan.