Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Leasing Pros and Cons - Need Help

If you are looking for land in the Akron area, I may be able to assist you, send me a PM. I am in that area and I have some land and have two diligent Kent students who come by during the season but I may be able to add you in.

Mooosie

I don’t know what your situation is but before I threw money away every year leasing I would try to get some friends together, form an LLC Corp and start a hunting club.Find. Farmer who will sell you land on land contract, have an attorney draw up a purchase agreement pool you and your friends money and make payments on your own land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mike and Jackalope

Chass

The Hills
Pros: You have a set contract that outlines what you're permitted to do and when you can access the property. Nothing worse than investing into property that is not your own and you get the boot. Next best option besides owning.
Cons: leases tend to attract trespassers, especially outside of deer season as the locals assume the lease holders live far away. This can really get to some folks, but at the end of the day there's very few properties that do not get trespassed. A landowner that assures you his does not, most likely just isn't aware of them. Depending your source of the lease and how large the tract, is they can be pricey.
Advice: Get it directly from the owners, getting from a 3rd party sub-leasing agent is the worst. You will pay $20-30 minimum per acre. These leases also have the worst terms as well. Look into the investment companies that manage the leases for the timber companies. That is where you will find tracts around the $10-15 an acre price point and you will have the freedom to run it pretty much like you own it. If you see one, don't sit on the fence because they will be gone in a hurry.

Reactions: Jackalope