Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lawnmower Blades

Looking at some of the JD pages I'm thinking I'm due for a new hydraulic drain, new filter and even a seal on the mid PTO shaft where the mower shaft attaches. I'm trying to figure out how long it's been which means it's been too long. A burned PTO clutch, plugged hydraulic system, etc. can cause some of what I am seeing I guess. I should say it isn't bad on how it cuts, just feels like the discharge used to be faster/harder and as I've said before about the engine increasing in speed.

Reactions: giles

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Looking at some of the JD pages I'm thinking I'm due for a new hydraulic drain, new filter and even a seal on the mid PTO shaft where the mower shaft attaches. I'm trying to figure out how long it's been which means it's been too long. A burned PTO clutch, plugged hydraulic system, etc. can cause some of what I am seeing I guess. I should say it isn't bad on how it cuts, just feels like the discharge used to be faster/harder and as I've said before about the engine increasing in speed.
Filters can be a little difficult too break loose at times, but basically remove filter(s) drain and fill. My SCAG uses 20-50w motor oil. 5 or 6 quarts for mine.

Reactions: Big_Holla

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Electric PTO clutch to engage the blades? Often times there is an initial bog down on the engine and then it catches back up. I suppose if it is carbureted the governor may not be acting right?

Reactions: Big_Holla
Electric PTO clutch to engage the blades? Often times there is an initial bog down on the engine and then it catches back up. I suppose if it is carbureted the governor may not be acting right?

Chuck, the governor might need adjusting. Not a hard project. Doesn’t take a whole lot too get them out Of adjustment.

OK, sounds like something solid to check out. Time for some research!! Thanks guys!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Got all cocky about this job thinking my impact wrench and a little air would make this job super easy. Then I realized my biggest sockets were a gnats ass too small, so I had to pipe wrench it. Only mashed my knuckles and mother fucked it once. Had the deck off, blades changed, and deck back on in 30 minutes. Rare occasion were I looked like I knew what I was doing. 😂 Did a little test mow and I'm pleased with the results. I'll get the other set sharpened for back up and life will be good.

20220520_174254.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Got all cocky about this job thinking my impact wrench and a little air would make this job super easy. Then I realized my biggest sockets were a gnats ass too small, so I had to pipe wrench it. Only mashed my knuckles and mother fucked it once. Had the deck off, blades changed, and deck back on in 30 minutes. Rare occasion were I looked like I knew what I was doing. 😂 Did a little test mow and I'm pleased with the results. I'll get the other set sharpened for back up and life will be good.

View attachment 152470
Time too invest in a bigger set of impact sockets and a electric (battery) operated impact wrench….

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
So how often are you all actually sharpening your blades? My dad would do it every few years or after my brother or I would hit a stump with the mower too many times. Do you actually go out and look at how the individual blades of grass look after you cut to determine (as kinda per my manual)?

Reactions: hickslawns

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've always judged mine by the finished product, not the # of hours. Some guys recommend every 20-30 hours. When I start leaving long blades of uncut grass or the grass looks torn, not cut, I'll swap them out.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
@Hedgelj Daily. Sometimes every other day.

@bowhunter1023 Electric or air impact works well. 30mm? Dang. Ours are 15/16 bolt head. Darn near every mower I've had in the last 25 years (not push mowers) have been this size. You got some big nuts. 😁

@5Cent do you just grab the blade to keep them from spinning will loosening? I've done this on job sites with a bent blade, but the impact is so super easy.

Reactions: Hedgelj

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Daily. Sometimes every other day.

Electric or air impact works well. 30mm? Dang. Ours are 15/16 bolt head. Darn near every mower I've had in the last 25 years (not push mowers) have been this size. You got some big nuts. 😁
Actually bolts, but they’re long….. 😂