Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Knife sharpener

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I will keep using my good reliable cheap Smiths sharpener.Does a great job. Lol 41FMY0WNqpL._SY400_.jpg

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Why is that one so good? I own many different knives with different edges, metals, purposes. I find it really hard to beat leather.

I was over a friends house and had my hunting knife on my belt. He noticed it and asked if it was dull...I told him that in fact it was and I needed to resharpen it. He then showed me the warthog sharpener and ran it through about ten strokes. My knife was very sharp and it took only seconds. I bought one and ran every knife that I own through it...some knives took 10-15 strokes to get it razor sharp, others took upwards of 50 strokes, but the knives were as sharp as I've ever been able to get them using any of the various sharpeners that I own. For me, it's a no brainier...being able to get a really sharp knife in seconds is worth the $75 price tag. I sharpened 10 knives in 10 minutes and they are as sharp as I can get them.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Wow.... where do you begin on that???

It's easier than it looks...you just start at the top of the guide in the center and run the knife down while pulling it toward you. The two sharpening stones will slide left and right and bounce back to center line when you remove the knife. Most knives are very sharp after 10-15 strokes.

Just 1 More

I have a worksharp as well as many other sharpeners from over the years but, I've gone back to just using a good sharpening/honing steel.. Seems simple enough but it does a really great job. IMO, unless you're building knives that need a new edge created, you don't really want to be shaving steel off your knives every time you sharpen them. http://www.wusthof.com/care-and-sharpening/using-a-steel

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have always been old school using just a couple of hand stones but have wanted to get something "modern" for some time...
Interesting thread.

Jamie

Ohio
I bought a Worksharp Ken Onion edition and I love it. there is a bit of a learning curve, but it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. none of my knives have ever been sharper or easier to maintain. from my cheap pocket knives, Forschner/Victorinox butchering knives to Dozier's and my really good Shun kitchen knives. all of them. liven them up with a steel a few times, eventually back to the really fine grit belts for a good (and fast) rejuvenation. I spent some belts getting the right angles back on many of my older knives that I've hand sharpened for many years during the initial sharpening, but now that they are all properly sharpened, the wear on the belts is minimal. very pleased with how well this type of edge has held up on my everyday pocket knife and my go-to kitchen knives that are used and washed daily. this was a good purchase.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I bought a Worksharp Ken Onion edition and I love it. there is a bit of a learning curve, but it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. none of my knives have ever been sharper or easier to maintain. from my cheap pocket knives, Forschner/Victorinox butchering knives to Dozier's and my really good Shun kitchen knives. all of them. liven them up with a steel a few times, eventually back to the really fine grit belts for a good (and fast) rejuvenation. I spent some belts getting the right angles back on many of my older knives that I've hand sharpened for many years during the initial sharpening, but now that they are all properly sharpened, the wear on the belts is minimal. very pleased with how well this type of edge has held up on my everyday pocket knife and my go-to kitchen knives that are used and washed daily. this was a good purchase.

I use my buddies and just throw a few belts his way from time to time when I see them....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I use a diamond crystalline chefs round steel. Don't use the cheap one that comes with you knife set. It doesn't matter how expensive your knife set is the sharpeners are all crap. Just go buy a good one. It takes a little practice but once you figure out the motions it'll throw a razors edge on any knife in 6-10 strokes.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I still use a lansky my dad gave me you can shave with them when I get done. Takes some practice but I like it.

I still have mine and use it once in a while.... Like you said once you get the hang of it, it gets much easier.... I've had that thing for over 25 years I bet....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

@Jamie, just curious is this still rings true? I have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket that would cover one of these and extra belts. I'm leaning towards this or a high-end bluetooth speaker given how much I love listening to music. Seem like the Ken Onion edition of the Worksharp is a higher ROI in the long run.

Reactions: Jamie and Dustinb80

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've considered it too. Seems the adjustable angles with the Ken Onion might be worth the extra money with my good kitchen knives, EDC, hunting, mower blades, etc. all being done with that model. Just gotta use it to justify it I guess.