Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's 2014-2015 Deer Season

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well tonight was a little less eventful than I had anticipated, but it still worked out in our favor. I've been pumping the corn to the deer on Hippie Ridge since before Thanksgiving and the antlerless deer have become fairly regular in the evenings, so I was all but guaranteeing a kill tonight. We settled in the blind at 2:15 and started the wait. At 3:50 I caught a flicker of movement in the sanctuary 150 yards out. After a few minutes of glassing I spotted a lone doe working her way from our right to left. I figured we would see her appear at the corn which was 60 yards in front of us, but she never showed. That was it until 5:20. Tracie was cold (my toes were about done too) and I was starting to gather stuff up when I glanced out of the blind to our 10 o'clock and saw a lone deer standing on the logging road 25 yards away. I quickly glassed it and recognized it as a B&C worthy button buck I have on camera. He travels with a sister half his size and his mom. He is just as big as the mom who I would guess is a 2-3 year old doe. We were on a meat mission and with the shortage of does, I'd rather kill a button buck that most likely won't be around our farm in a few years anyways. He quickly worked his way to the corn and offered her a 60 yard broadside shot.

After the smoke cleared, I could see him standing about 20 yards from where he was when she shot. He just stood there and I was a bit baffled. After 60 seconds I reloaded the gun and found him in the scope. I could see his head was down and knew he was hurt. Another 60 seconds passed and he laid down. We gathered our stuff and I eased over to where I could see him. He was gasping for breath, although I have no idea how. Finally 4 minutes after the shot, he took his last breath. It was one of the most amazing displays of toughness I've ever seen! The doe I killed this morning was one of the biggest ones in the neighborhood and she dressed at 115 pounds. This button buck was 90 pounds dressed! Absolute stud for a yearling deer and full of tasty meat!

This is Tracie's 11th deer and she has now taken a deer successfully in all 11 season in which she has hunted. I love spending time in the blind with her and for such a sweet girl, she is a stone cold killer! We put another notch in the belt tonight and some more memories in the bank.

Now you tell me how it takes 4 minutes to die from that!?!

We had some fun while we near the camera!

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ha! Well done Tracie and Jesse! It looks like you both had a good time, and that and tasty venison is what it's all about!