Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Je fais la cuisine sous vide

Jamie

Ohio
I got a sous vide pump thingy for Christmas. my first go with it is an 8 oz hunk of venison loin. I've been itching to get into this for a while now. is a whole new world of cooking. I'll figure out a way to cook a squirrel with thing one of these days. :) pretty cool. control the thing with you phone, and the app is real easy and helpful. cheers. I took two years of French in high school. completely worthless to me until today. :geek:

sous vide.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
poke all the fun you want, but this is really something. I just ate one of the most perfectly cooked pieces of venison loin I've ever eaten. I've cooked my share of venison, and this is as good as it gets. this is so stupid easy even Giles could do it with adult supervision. :ROFLMAO:

seriously, you aren't really "boiling" it. the pump heats and circulates the water at the exact temperature you want your steak or whatever cooked to. I set this to cook at 129*. I checked it with my high dollar Thermapen instant read thermometer after 30 minutes of cooking and it read 129*. for a piece of loin 1" thick you cook it in the water bath for 1 hour, and you can hold it for another hour, which I did due to my sous chef slacking on her duties. when it's time to eat, take it out of water bath and sear on screaming hot black iron for about 30 seconds per side. the texture of this meat was astounding. it was very moist and perfectly cooked. just outstanding.

if you've ever eaten in a high end chop house, you probably ate a steak cooked sous vide. this is nothing new, but rather just made smaller an more affordable for in home use. it's gonna be a good year with sous vide cooking. :D

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
@Beener has been using one for a few years now, he swears by it and he’s a man that knows his meat, so Jamie’s spot on as Charles says the same thing....

Reactions: Jamie

Jamie

Ohio
Fuck to the yes. One of these are in the immediate future for me. Which brand/model did you get Jamie?
this is a Joule. comes in stainless and white polycarbonate. same guts, presumably. like I said, it heated the water to exactly 129* and kept it there for two hours. this was a gift, but from what reading I've done, this is about the best one at this price point. plenty use friendly. after one use, I'm 100% (y) I'm gonna have some fun with this giblet.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Beener got me to by one also and it’s killer. Some of the best food I’ve ever created and so simple. I’m vac sealing meat with seasoning in it, freezing it and the plopping it in my sous vide cooker and boom... rediculously easy and flavor beyond what I’m normally capable of. Beener had me get the Anova off amazon

Big H

Medina
I have the Joule also, my gf at the time, wife now bought it for me, and have been using it for over two years now. It is a fantastic tool, especially if you are a fan of the reverse sear method of cooking meat. I typically finish the meat on a hot cast iron skillet or grill. I have a 7 hour London Broil recipe that we all love. We have actually used it in the truck on the way to the cabin.

Attachments

• London Broil Sous Vide.JPG
    London Broil Sous Vide.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 322