Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

JB’s K9 Trapping Adventures

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Check #7:

Skunked again. Bummer. But, with the fresh snow, I made some tire tracks with my truck on one of the main travel lanes and then hung a couple snares over the ruts. Tomorrow’s a new day!

Reactions: giles

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Another day of empty traps and snares today. Bummer. To add insult to injury, I saw at least 3 sets of fresh coyote tracks in the snow. One set of tracks walked within 15 feet of one of my sets. It didn't alter it's path in any way, or appear to stop or hesitate. I'm beginning to think that one of my problems is lack of sufficient bait. I've been relying on gland lure alone, and really not putting more than a teaspoon or so into each set. So far this doesn't seem to be getting their attention. I think I need to order some actual "bait" and put it down in earnest. At least then I'll know that I can rule out that variable.

Reactions: Lucky and 5Cent

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
Another day of empty traps and snares today. Bummer. To add insult to injury, I saw at least 3 sets of fresh coyote tracks in the snow. One set of tracks walked within 15 feet of one of my sets. It didn't alter it's path in any way, or appear to stop or hesitate. I'm beginning to think that one of my problems is lack of sufficient bait. I've been relying on gland lure alone, and really not putting more than a teaspoon or so into each set. So far this doesn't seem to be getting their attention. I think I need to order some actual "bait" and put it down in earnest. At least then I'll know that I can rule out that variable.
You might be putting too much gland on. I don’t put nearly that much on a set and only apply more after a 10 days- 2 weeks. I use a glob of lute about the size of the end of a
q-tip. They have a really good nose; your scent might be too strong.

Reactions: xbowguy

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You might be putting too much gland on. I don’t put nearly that much on a set and only apply more after a 10 days- 2 weeks. I use a glob of lute about the size of the end of a
q-tip. They have a really good nose; your scent might be too strong.
Yea, that’s about the average amount I’ve been using. The most I used was maybe a teaspoon in one set. If it was too strong, wouldn’t a coyote at least make a movement toward the set, in some way? By the look of the tracks, they just walk right by like the set isn’t even there.

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
Yea, that’s about the average amount I’ve been using. The most I used was maybe a teaspoon in one set. If it was too strong, wouldn’t a coyote at least make a movement toward the set, in some way? By the look of the tracks, they just walk right by like the set isn’t even there.
Did the yote walk up or down wind of the set? I try to position my sets so a sw wind will carry the sent into the travel route.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Did the yote walk up or down wind of the set? I try to position my sets so a sw wind will carry the sent into the travel route.
The set was on the north side of the path, which was good for the NE wind we had the night that I made it. But I’m not sure what the wind direction was last night. As close as he was, I wouldn’t have thought wind direction would’ve mattered. But I could be wrong. I don’t know... I’ve seen my Lab catch the scent of plenty of birds and other things even when she wasn’t perfectly downwind. I may just order some more bait and maybe remake a couple sets based on my most recent observations of sign in the area.

Reactions: 5Cent

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Final check at this property today and again came up empty. I did have a deer set off yet another trap, and this one I got really lucky on. The deer nearly pulled the entire length of anchor out of the ground before getting free. How I didn't lose this trap is beyond me. Very lucky. I decided that, with the hard freeze coming later this week and my busier-than-normal afternoon schedule, I would pull all my traps and start again at another property next week. I figure that as long as I'm learning and working the kinks out of my system, I might as well do it a little closer to home. So I'm going to order some bait and go back to the drawing board. Stay tuned...